Benchmark as headphone amp
Jul 25, 2009 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Hatmann

100+ Head-Fier
Benchmark says its headphone amp is designed using the Senn 600/650s.

Does anyone have experience using the Senns with Benchmark's headphone amp or its newest model, the HDR?

For those who have used the HDR, how do you rate its preamp section?

Thanks,

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 20
I have the hdr and i use it with senn 650's and denon d7000's.... it is very good so far, but it's my first headphone amp.... it drives the denon's much better, but it does work just fine w/ the 650 but there have been times when i could increase the volume to max and it was no where near blowing out my headphones... but all in all i love it bc i use it for my computer based system... but i have been reading a lot on this forum and i am tempted to get myself a better amp on top of the built in one with the hrd.... i dont know if it s silly to do that but i really want a high end balanced tube amp, just havent decided yet... i think the preamp, thou, is very good for the price... i did use it for a very short time in my dad's stereo when his krell kps28c was sent back for repair and it sounded good in that set up (albeit not as good as the krell)... but nonetheless, very very good... i got the hdr a few months back right when it came out but if i were to do it again i may look to have a seperate amp / dac but there is always tom... i am listening to the hrd with my denons right now and ill prob switch over to the senns in a few min.... for my computer w/ usb i find it to be very very good thou... but all that said this is my first dac / headphone amp i've had...

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most $100+ headphone amps will perform better, but than again, getting a ~ $100 headphone amp built into a DAC isn't too shabby either.

What amps have you compared the Benchmark to and in what ways did the $100+ amps beat the Benchmark?

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 20
so fallen angel... being that i want to upgrade my amp and i have the 650's and denon d7000s now, what would u recommend as a major upgrade in the amp department... i may end up with more cans too, but so far thats all i have... i also listen to all different types of music, ranging from techno to classical to bob dylan... i have been eying the woo audio 22, which i know requires that i reterminate my cables, but what do u think a good step up for me

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

The Benchmark uses a simple opamp + buffer design, specifically LM4562 (in top model, NE5532 in older models) + 2x BUF634. The $100 amp this greatly resembles is Tangent's Meta42 (I'm actually using one as a pre-amp now).

Ah, ok, I see what you mean. I use the Benchmark as my head-amp sometimes (it was in my speaker system as the DAC / Pre-amp), and think it's excellent. Sure, it doesn't have the specs that a Beta does, but overall it's a very nice sounding amp. If you look at the specs on Benchmark's site, you will see it has very low distortion, and good overall numbers.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

The Benchmark uses a simple opamp + buffer design, specifically LM4562 (in top model, NE5532 in older models) + 2x BUF634. The $100 amp this greatly resembles is Tangent's Meta42 (I'm actually using one as a pre-amp now).

FallenAngel, I hope the OP won't mind if I ask about other amps that are built in to similar DAC+amp combos --

I own HeadRoom Desktop amps with the max and home modules. I also own the Grace m902. I like these because they don't take up much deskspace and also provide quality SQ. My question: What are your thoughts on the quality of these built-in amps? Thanks in advance.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 20
So no one rates the Benchmark as top tier for its preamp and headamp?

This is a tough crowd, indeed.

Ok, let's go down in price:

FallenAngel, would you recommend your EMU model for desktop use?

I need a preamp/volume control/dac to connect my Thinkpad to a pair of Audioengine A2s. I need an analog input so that my Sangean WR-3 with a radio and slot-loaded CDP will play through the Audioengines. (The Sangean has built in speakers; nice, but not the equal of the Audioengines.)

I currently use a cheap Creative Labs model for the volume control. For desktop use, the sound isn't half bad for itunes or Internet radio through the laptop.

I'm looking for something that's 1)easy to use, 2)reliable, 3)sounds good, 4)and, hopefully, is much cheaper than the nearly $2k Benchmark.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 20
Although I have not heard the Benchmark, I assume it should be pretty darn good at minimum since it is also used in the music industry for critical listening. Pricewise, it may not be the best value because there probably are some Chinese DACs with headphone output that may be cheaper and same in sonic quality but then again, the Benchmark has a widely good reputation and that may be important for longevity of the product.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 20
Hatmann;5882256 said:

I rate the my Benchmark pre very highly as a pre amp and DAC. Since I don't have as much experience about headphone amps as some of the others here, I won't comment on that part.
My main amp combo is now Benchmark- Tubtech Genesis mono blocks and I am more than happy with the sound. Even though everything else in the chain costs a few times more than the Benchmark.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FallenAngel, I hope the OP won't mind if I ask about other amps that are built in to similar DAC+amp combos --

I own HeadRoom Desktop amps with the max and home modules. I also own the Grace m902. I like these because they don't take up much deskspace and also provide quality SQ. My question: What are your thoughts on the quality of these built-in amps? Thanks in advance.

My general rule is that it's either a decent DAC with a half-assed amp or it's a decent amp with a half-assed DAC. I don't bash on specific products, but when you're paying X amount for an amp and DAC in a box, that means that the amp is worth Y and the DAC is worth Z. Grossly exaggerated formula - but within reason (with lots of room for error), you aren't likely to find a standalone DAC or standalone amp that costs X and is not as good as the one installed in a unit having both, costing the same price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is a tough crowd, indeed.

Ok, let's go down in price:

FallenAngel, would you recommend your EMU model for desktop use?

I need a preamp/volume control/dac to connect my Thinkpad to a pair of Audioengine A2s. I need an analog input so that my Sangean WR-3 with a radio and slot-loaded CDP will play through the Audioengines. (The Sangean has built in speakers; nice, but not the equal of the Audioengines.)

I currently use a cheap Creative Labs model for the volume control. For desktop use, the sound isn't half bad for itunes or Internet radio through the laptop.

I'm looking for something that's 1)easy to use, 2)reliable, 3)sounds good, 4)and, hopefully, is much cheaper than the nearly $2k Benchmark.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Never jumped on the DAC1 is all great train, sorry.

I use an EMU 0404 PCI as transport only.

Audioengine A2 are active monitors, they do not need a preamp, they also have a volume control on them, not sure on convenience of that though.

Too many specifics to cover to recommend anything, I suggest you start another thread with details of your system, budget, spece constraints, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're using DAC1 with HD600/650, try powering the headphones balanced from XLR outputs. It would take something like b22 to better this. This was actually quite popular just a few years ago until cheaper Chinese dacs emerged.

That's a flat-out lie. Line output of the DAC1 is straight from an LM4562, an opamp that isn't designed to drive loads under 600R. Yes, it plays music, yes it doesn't become unstable (though starts to behave nasty with low impedance headphones), but damn does it sound bad. I'd prefer unbalanced BUF634 over listening to that directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back