Believable excuses to get off work
Mar 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 50
My parents are both employers, and I hear horror stories of staff wanting to take off for a party/studying/vacation or whatever. That is definitely understandable as I'm a working/studying man myself, but the sad part is that some people try to cover it up, using some really awkward excuses which were later unfolded.

Is there a reason your girlfriend can't tell your employer the real reasons for getting off?

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 50
sick. funeral. medical procedure. broke down car. flood in apt, etc.

unless they are going to check or she has a history of unexplained absences, why should it matter.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 50
You can pull a Ryan from the Office and rattle off as many as you need until one sticks. Keep 'em in your smartphone. Look alive, intoflatlines.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sick. funeral. medical procedure. broke down car. flood in apt, etc.

unless they are going to check or she has a history of unexplained absences, why should it matter.

I always say I'm not feeling well when I just don't feel like going to work that day. I don't do it often and I have vacation time to cover for it.

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My girlfriend needs to take two days off work: tomorrow and one week from tomorrow. We've tried thinking of believable excuses for her to get off, but we're not so sure.

Any ideas?

I'm assuming this isn't a habitual thing with your girlfriend, so why make excuses at all?

"I won't be making it in today." Truthful and succinct.

Or, if a reason must be given, why not just give the actual reason? (Assuming of course, it's not something that would damage her relationship with her current employer.)

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 50
Why not ask for a couple of personal days off? You don't have to be dishonest. If I've got something to deal with, I just say that I need to take a personal day and offer to come in after hours or on the weekend to catch up. Most employers would rather not get a fake excuse, and they know people need time off now and then.

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most employers would rather not get a fake excuse, and they know people need time off now and then.

Honesty is the best path.

I do try to let my boss know as far in advance as I know.

But...

This only works for reasonable and compassionate supervisors and managers.

If you are not blessed with a nice supervisor try something irrefutable or awkward, or both. Like menstrual cramps, nobody is going to contest if your girlfriend says she has cramps.

(I realize this won't work next week, but perhaps you could think of something more creative in the mean time. Or given the lead time honesty might work.)

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 50
To everyone asking why she can't be honest to her boss, it's because her boss is really anal about getting to work early and staying late.. He always is lecturing people about how he makes it to work no matter what, ever.. She can't take a personal day or whatever because she doesn't have any yet, so she is getting no pay for the off day anyway. He's always trying to guilt trip his employees about appointments and stuff, and it's just really annoying.

I didn't figure that anyone would have a brilliant idea for an excuse anyway, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 50
Say she has to get her hemorhoids checked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back