Being a student audiophile...
Feb 26, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #17 of 212
Dude I know the feeling. I'm a student who works 40hrs a week and only makes 250 a week. Sounds like alot but when you drive a truck and gas is almost 3.50 a gallon and you also pay your payment for the truck it leaves you with very little for free spending. 

And thats why i have a student loan. that i just got a few weeks ago. 2k in da bank. i had planed on using it to start my audio journey. and maybe buy a rifle. BUT NOPE! my mom all the sudden is "broke" and takes 1500 of it to "pay bills" im guessing bills are now part of a down payment on a new car, rodeo tickets, BBQ cook off tickets, and her new ipod. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 212

Quote:
Dude I know the feeling. I'm a student who works 40hrs a week and only makes 250 a week. Sounds like alot but when you drive a truck and gas is almost 3.50 a gallon and you also pay your payment for the truck it leaves you with very little for free spending. 

And thats why i have a student loan. that i just got a few weeks ago. 2k in da bank. i had planed on using it to start my audio journey. and maybe buy a rifle. BUT NOPE! my mom all the sudden is "broke" and takes 1500 of it to "pay bills" im guessing bills are now part of a down payment on a new car, rodeo tickets, BBQ cook off tickets, and her new ipod. 

...wow... I feel bad for you...and you're mom is lucky to have a son who'd let her take that much money and spend it -0-... Well, if it'd make you feel better, being in the US with a visa means NO federal grants nor loans. So i have to pay tuition in full and somehow try to satiate my hunger for better sound.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 212

Quote:
...wow... I feel bad for you...and you're mom is lucky to have a son who'd let her take that much money and spend it -0-... Well, if it'd make you feel better, being in the US with a visa means NO federal grants nor loans. So i have to pay tuition in full and somehow try to satiate my hunger for better sound.

Ha ya i guess. I mean had she said she needed some for those things i wouldnt be so mad about it. or i would have at least payed for some of it for her. lol. I mean i have my 20th bday coming up on the 20th of march so i hope ill get some money from grandma to recover some losses. haha. i really wanted to buy a pair of Grado SR125i and maybe a portable amp for my itouch.

And that sucks man. Tuition can be very expensive. All i can say is Cups of Ramen. its like 30 cents a cup. haha

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #20 of 212

Quote:

Yes, don't we all... What's your current setup? 

HFI-580 run out of a Little Dot DAC_II

Quote:

I know the feeling. I just moved to another state, don't really have parental support, and was denied financial aid (for reasons that I'm declared dependant, and my parents made too much in 2009 apparently, regardless that they just declared bankruptcy) so I have to pay for my books/classes out of pocket, whilst still paying for rent/electricity every month -.-

It's poopy.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #22 of 212
question what your goal is

to listen to music or to listen to different gear :p

this site destroys wallets even for a full time worker like me ...

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #23 of 212
Quote:
Haha is that your future dream setup i'm guessing? Or is your signature just not up to date... If its the latter, then I'm jealous!

Yea, I didn't bother to update my profile yet. My Stax are being shipped and I don't have an amp for them yet, so I can't really claim as having them. I did hear them at a Head-fi meet that drove me to this decision. They were that good =)  No dynamic nor orthodynamic headphones I've heard can touch them IMO. Good enough for me to think that I will finally retire from Head-fi and look for another hobby. hehe  Probably back to guitar stuff again or something.

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #24 of 212

Quote:
question what your goal is

to listen to music or to listen to different gear :p

this site destroys wallets even for a full time worker like me ...

"Listen to how differently music sounds with different gear(s) and find the one(s) I like the best" is probably the goal most people have...xP So many would not be here if listening to music and listening to gears were two separate things...

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 212

Quote:
Yea, I didn't bother to update my profile yet. My Stax are being shipped and I don't have an amp for them yet, so I can't really claim as having them. I did hear them at a Head-fi meet that drove me to this decision. They were that good =)  No dynamic nor orthodynamic headphones I've heard can touch them IMO. Good enough for me to think that I will finally retire from Head-fi and look for another hobby. hehe  Probably back to guitar stuff again or something.

haha ordering headphones(or any other things) online and waiting for them to come is probably the most exciting yet painful time of one's life xP Ahh I gotta go to one of these meets!!!

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #26 of 212

Been there done that. That's why when my dad goes out for work (he finally got a job out of state after a year of looking) he's sending the money to pay the bills to me instead of my mom.

And yeah, being a student audiophile sucks. Jealous at my bro who's in the navy, gets a solid pay check and then barely has to pay anything because the navy practically pays for everything except for internet and food! He's already gonna splurge on some $400 cans and I'm here with my $80 grado sr60i's. Oh well, in college we make due.

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #27 of 212

Quote:
Quote:

Been there done that. That's why when my dad goes out for work (he finally got a job out of state after a year of looking) he's sending the money to pay the bills to me instead of my mom.

And yeah, being a student audiophile sucks. Jealous at my bro who's in the navy, gets a solid pay check and then barely has to pay anything because the navy practically pays for everything except for internet and food! He's already gonna splurge on some $400 cans and I'm here with my $80 grado sr60i's. Oh well, in college we make due.

Actually considered going into military because of all the benefits including instant citizenship! but decided against it =/

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 212
Well, to be honest, I was a little freaked out about it. I mean I'd just finished high school and thinking about military, I didn't feel like I was ready. Also, I didn't want to give up my Korean citizenship by becoming an american citizen. And then there was that little bit in me that said going to school would probably be better... 

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #30 of 212
Yeah it is. Complete college and you can go into the military and automatically get an E-3 rank which would put you one promotion away from being an NCO. Even if you don't join, though, your chances of getting a good job goes through the roof with a college degree.

Back on subject, I have the unfortunate position of balancing between two hobbies, photography and this x_x. Photography is what I'm majoring in so it'll make sense to invest into that but man...it is expensive! We here can complain about a set of cans costing $400 and yet an ENTRY LEVEL dslr costed me $500! On a side note, I'm considering in a Dac or an amp for my grado SR60i's but don't wanna spend too much..gah this sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back