Being a complete noob i need help buying headphones.
Oct 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

squilliam

New Head-Fier
Recently i have decided to buy i decent pair of headphones because the ones i have now are absolute crap. I'll try not to make this one of those "what are the best head phones for $100" threads but no promises.  Ive done very little research and havent tried any on. All ive really learned is that dre's are absolute garbage for the money.  Im looking for an good pair of closed cans but again im no audiophyle and my only sources are an ipod, and mac book pro. my brother has a pair of ATH M-50's and loves them but claims the long cord can often be a hassle. These are the headphones that im deciding between. If there is a better option that i simply missed please tell me. also im not trying to have to buy amps and stuff so lets keep it simple.

1) ATH M-50's
2) Ultrasone dj1 pro (these look sick but are they worth the extra money)
3) Beyerdynamic Djx1
4) ATH-PRO700 SV

Also i does it make a difference if the headphones are dj or studio. Really all im looking for is something that will block out the background noise, and is comfortable to wear for a long period of time. And again if i missed anything worth looking at please tell me. Budget $100-$200 (preferably 100 but if its going to make a big difference id rather just invest in something good).

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Well that's all dependent on personal taste
tongue.gif
If there's one thing you'll learn here is that one man's holy grail is another man's trash. The M-50 is a highly recommended phone here in your price range, and if you enjoyed what you heard, I see no reason not to pick one up.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 8
You can't go wrong with ATH. 
L3000.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Every possibility you've posted is a super bass-heavy phone, so I imagine that's what you're looking for.  If that's so, and you specifically want closed shell, ATH-m50s are an excellent choice.  The other two that I've heard that personally lay the the low frequency smack-down in that range are DT-770/880 (the latter used only) and HFI-580/780 (again, the latter used only).  The Ultrasone HFIs especially are beasts.  Way too much for me, but I can't imagine getting much more LF impact out of a set of phones.  That said, the m50s are a versatile, relatively easy to drive can.  Always a solid choice for the first time bass-head buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back