Behold the Marantz SA-7S1!
Jul 26, 2007 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
marantz2009xe8.jpg

marantz1007bc8.jpg

Introduction
After months of penny-pinching and saving up, she’s finally here!
3000smile.gif

The SA-7S1 is Marantz’s latest flagship CD/SACD player. I’m taking a bit of a risk in buying this unit sound unheard, given its high sticker price. In addition, there are no “official” print reviews of the player yet, just some excited chat and one amateur review on Audio Asylum, plus a small preview of a forthcoming review in the latest Positive Feedback. Still, you ever just get a *gut feeling* about a new piece of audio? Well, I had a “hunch” about this one I couldn’t shake in the 6 months or so since it was first introduced, so I had to try it out.

Here's the knowledge base to date on this player (such as it is):

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...arantz_sa7.htm

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...s1&r=&session=

Actually, there is one other review, written for a Japanese magazine. Here is just one brief hilarious excerpt courtesy of Google’s translation software:

Quote:

“With the table which it shakes off in former times LP under remaking if from under preparing it raised the table which it shakes off above the man with underdeveloped genital organ duck earth in the vibrating back…”

No, I didn’t make that up, and it goes on like that, useless...
3000smile.gif

So, as you can see, it’s still a bit of an unknown quantity. So what’s even more crazy than buying such an expensive new player sound unheard, pedigree unknown? Having that sucker *modified*. Yep, my intention as I type is to have this player’s guts upgraded (provided I approve of the stock unit). Am I nuts?

Probably.
wink.gif
But... I mean…. LOOK at her!
eek.gif
Have you ever seen a more sublimely beautiful CD player? How could I resist? My camera sucks and the lighting conditions were poor, but you can get a small glimpse at how incredibly gorgeous this player is. It has a lovely and subtle champagne/copper/silver finish and lots of rounded feminine curves. The brushing on the aluminum case is sublimely executed and the whole package just reeks of quality. Anyway, I wish you could see it in person, it’s like a piece of audio jewelry; fit and finish are immaculate. Damn thing weighs 50 pounds, too!

But she’s more than a pretty face. Under the hood are two very interesting new features:

1. It is the first commercial product to use the latest DACs from NPC that are alleged to have the best measured specs of any DAC currently made. This is appealing because my last two CD/SACD players (both modified Sonys) used the same Burr-Brown DAC chipset, and this time I wanted to try something different.

2. It has a brand new deluxe transport mechanism, designed to compete with Esoteric’s VRDS-NEO. No typical flimsy, jittery, off-the-shelf, cheap plastic drive for this puppy. It’s shocking, but many very high-end manufacturers use the same cheap OEM drive/laser/transport as any budget CD or DVD player you can get at Best Buy. Why is that? As with DAC chips, there are only a handful of manufacturers that make them, and even fewer “high-end” models. There’s the Phillips top-loader introduced on the famous Sony SCD-1, the Esoteric VRDS-NEO, and there used to be the JVC top-loader used on the Reimyo, but that is now discontinued. That’s about it in the world of high-end transports until this new Marantz unit was introduced here on the SA-7S1. Unless a high-end manufacturer can afford to purchase 10 thousand units at a time (and few can), they have no way to get their hands on those better transports, so they have to use the cheap ones.

The analog section is op-amp free as you’d expect at this price point, and uses Marantz’s proprietary “HDAM” modules instead. The “problem” is that these modules contain many parts and Marantz stacks several of them one after the other in the analog stages of all of their better gear, affecting their overall transparency. As a result, you typically read descriptions of their sound as being warm, analog, pleasant, relaxing, and “musical”. All well and good, but you’ll notice “neutral” and “resolving” are not among those adjectives. Whether the SA-7S1 (which uses more sophisticated HDAM SA2’s) displays these characteristics or not remains to be seen (the Positive Feedback reviewer claims the Marantz has the same or better resolution than the EMM one-box player, so who knows?). Whether I’ll actually like those characteristics or not is also unknown until I establish some initial impressions.

In case it turns out I don’t like it, I can always by-pass the output section altogether with the Audio Consulting output transformers which I know to be open, clear, neutral, transparent, revealing and dynamic from having them added to my current source, a RAM modified Sony XA9000ES.

Or, in case it happens I have no use for the player whatsoever, my next choice will be a used Esoteric that I will also likely have modified.

(If you are intersted in this Marantz, please PM me, I'll tell you where to get a great deal from a reliable, responsive and friendly *authorized* dealer. Beware of a certain dealer that advertizes heavily on audiogon, they are not what they claim to be, and quite notorious for bad service.)

OK, enough yapping-- more sexy pictures!
evil_smiley.gif

Here's a close-up of the face and main manual controls:

marantz2010an9.jpg

Here is a shot of the rear:

marantz10112np6.jpg

Here is a top view:

marantz2005is4.jpg

Here is a picture of the remote:

marantz10022hw1.jpg

Finally, here it is in my stack:

marantz22us3.jpg

Features
The SA-7S1 has a number of cool (or maddening, depending on your point of view) features that are worth exploring.

It has this really cool INV. PHASE button, which inverts the phase of the CD/SACD you are playing. As it turns out, many CDs and SACDs are actually (and amazingly) *out of phase*. With a push of the button, you can switch the phase to see if it is. From what I’ve read, when an out-of-phase CD is corrected, the sound seems to snap into better focus, and sounds more coherent. I can’t wait to play with this one.

Then there are the 3 special filters that change the way the SA-7S1 crunches the numbers and have subtle effects on the sound and frequency response. My Sony has similar functionality but only 2 filters, as did the Krell SACD Standard I owned briefly (Wadia machines also have similar controls). In general, the changes are minor and frustrating. You can get lost and end up spending days endlessly A/B-ing the effects of the different filters trying to decide which one is microscopically preferable to you.

In addition to these 3 filters, the Marantz has two other sets of parameters that can be manipulated. There is a NOISE SHAPER button which adds or subtracts digital feedback in the DAC, and a DC FILTER button whose purpose is not adequately described by the manual.

So you can see there are almost exponentially complex numbers of different combinations of filters and functions that can be turned on and off. It’s either audiophile heaven or hell, depending on your personality. (Hopefully, I won’t get so worked up I toss the thing out the window.)

Functionality/Ergonomics

------------------UNDER CONSTRUCTION-------------------------

[size=small]First Impressions Day 1[/size]

My System
Headphones- Sony MDR-R10
Amp- Rudistor RP010
Interconnects- Virtual Dynamics Master 3.0
CD Power Cable- Virtual Dynamics Nite II
Amp Power Cable- Michael Wolff Bohica

Previous CD Players of Note I’ve Owned (Chronological)
California Audio Labs (CAL) CL-10
Sony SCD-333ES
Modwright modified Sony SCD-333ES
Sacmods.com modified Sony SCD-555ES
RAM modified Sony XA9000ES

------------------------COMING SOON--------------------------

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 73
Not a bad looker, though I've seen and owned others of equally high sex appeal.

The filters and noise shaping is def audio hell, unless one or two settings stand out as best from the others. I see constant fiddling and arguments over which one fits what music, various recordings, etc.

I'm not sure how available they are in the US still, but have you looked into CEC yet? Popular in Asia/Japan.

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 73
Thanks for the write up. I am very interested in Marantz now that I purchased a SA7001. I have one comment to make: I thought my unit was well built but looking at the rear view of yours, the metal thickness is impressive. Nice buy! Wish I could hear it. I'd be interested to know; will your RP10 scale up? It's not an amp I am familar with..

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 73
Have fun with your new player! Looking at the list price, I'm going to force myself not to feel guilty about the amount I'm planning to spend this weekend on my new player. I love the top view of the Marantz. Are you sure you want to cover it up with your amp?

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 73
Fantastic-looking machine Mark, it exudes class and elegance. Looks like it has the same dimensions as your RudiStor but the curves make it appear smaller - why not put the CDP on top?

Inquiring minds want to know why you picked this CDP over the competition.
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 73
Congratulations on your source. I was choosing between it and my current source while I was upgrading. But in the end I went with the Esoteric because I could never find out exactly what HDAM is. I heard various conflicting reports, some saying it's just a fancy name for Marantz's own op-amps, some saying it's fully discrete. There wasn't enough information out there, so I decided not to take the risk.

But good for you, taking one for the team
k1000smile.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 73
Quote:

I'd be interested to know; will your RP10 scale up? It's not an amp I am familar with..

The RP010 is a $3200 amp, yes it will scale.

Quote:

I love the top view of the Marantz. Are you sure you want to cover it up with your amp?

The amp is a lot smaller, so there's no way to stack the Marantz on it.

Quote:

Inquiring minds want to know why you picked this CDP over the competition.

My next choice would be a used, better Esoteric and then have it mod-ed. I chose the Marantz mainly because the Esoteric uses the same ol' Burr-Brown chipset I've had twice already. I still may go that route, I'm not sure yet.

Quote:

But in the end I went with the Esoteric because I could never find out exactly what HDAM is. I heard various conflicting reports, some saying it's just a fancy name for Marantz's own op-amps, some saying it's fully discrete. There wasn't enough information out there, so I decided not to take the risk.

It's 100% discrete and op-amp free.

I have to wait because initial reports say this player has a protracted burn-in period.

I should add that the remote is simply AWESOME. It's metal and not plastic, feels hefty in your hand, and the player responds automatically to any push of the button. SWEET!

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 73
Okay, maybe this is a silly question, but why does this player only output in stereo if it's a SACD player? What happened to 5.1?

Looks very sweet and shiny in Marantz's elegantly stately way, though. I dig.

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, maybe this is a silly question, but why does this player only output in stereo if it's a SACD player? What happened to 5.1?

Because audio purists typically only use stereo. The SA8001, the top end of the normal consumer line by Marantz, is stereo only--replacing the SA8260 which had the 5.1 outputs.

The problem with surround programs is that no one agrees what they ought to be in terms of perspective. Should the rears contain strictly ambient sound info (to most effectively present a truer concert hall perspective), or highly localizable sounds intended to present a "whoa, I'm on stage with the band" perspective?

I must use in-ceiling rears in my 5.1 system--the room demands that--and they are fine for movie effects and ambient sounds. But the Doobie Brother's "Captain and Me" was remixed from the original multitrack masters so the background vocalists sound as if they are singing from above me in the balcony, and on some tracks, the bass guitar is localized "up there" in the right rear. Very unnatural......so I just listen to the hi-rez stereo layer on such discs.

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 73
Nice player, but no DVD-A
mad.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 73
Quote:

Yes, it's a two-channel only player, but for us headphone freaks, what more can we use?
tongue.gif

OK, so I put my RAM modified Sony XA9000ES back into my stack so I can directly A/B against the un-broken-in Marantz. The stock Marantz is every bit as good as my modified Sony. They have a different sound, and they output at a different volume level, so direct A/B is difficult, but not impossible.

I'm going to hold off on impressions for tonight. The important thing is that the un-broken-in Marantz sounds friggin' terrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back