Before and after pics - CURSE YOU HEAD FI!
Oct 24, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #5,671 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

No problem. Some people have made DIY amps based on this tube pushing up to 60 watts per side in a single ended configuration, with plate voltages above 850 volts. A crazy tube should you be interested in building a tube amp.

The thing that I like most compared to the Aleph besides its added amount of bass is that it absolutely shines at higher volumes. It's great at lower to normal volumes with a nice full sound, but at higher volumes it's brilliant. The Aleph might have been a bit limited in power at higher volumes since it just doesn't move air like the Audioromy. With the Aleph you get loud, but lacking in real pressure. I thought this was a problem of the speakers, since they are only 4" fullranges, but the Audioromy makes it seem like I have a set of large three way floorstanders in regards to pressure, overall size and weight of the sound. It's addicting, and has me listening to higher volumes than I used to (Something that's been noticed by parents, unfortunatly. They'll get used to it.
evil_smiley.gif
).

On the downside:

- The amp gets hot. Really, really hot. It will heat up my entire room on days like today, when it's roughly 5-8° C outside and I don't have any heater on in my room. Fine by me for now, but what about summer time?

- The amp is huge. I'll have to have it infront of my rack on the ground. Not much of a problem for me, but for people with pets / kids in the house...

- It's also an integrated amp, though it's features are a joke. It has two inputs and a volume knob. It also has a seperate input which bypasses the volume knob and allows for use of a preamp so it's essentially a power amp, which is what I'm doing. Fine with me, but others might have a problem when they have more than two devices and no preamp.

- 45 watts per tube, how long are these going to last? Matched pairs aren't cheap (RCA's for $550).

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #5,672 of 6,026
Nice looking amp digitalmind. I checked eBay for some other models and the model EL34 is shockingly similar looking than PrimaLuna Prologue One. Is Audioromy in the same price class as PrimaLuna or maybe cheaper? You can answer me by PM if you don't want to share the price with everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

And of course, tell us more about its sound.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #5,673 of 6,026
The PrimaLuna will be a bit more expensive as the brand is more skewed towards the western market. Audioromy is only concentrated on China. I had never heard of Audioromy before, and they don't have their own website. It was a bit of a shot in the dark, but listening to it before I bought it won me over. I don't think my type, the 838, is still being sold, as I can hardly find any information on it. Due to the damage that mine has taken, it went for about half of the PrimaLuna.

As for sound goes, it's full, liquid and with lots of slam. I haven't listened to it enough yet (some 15 hours or so, which puts this amp at only 20 hours of use) to say much more though. I'm mostly going crazy throwing in one cd after another to just listen to a couple tracks and see how good they are now sounding with the added punch.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #5,674 of 6,026

So 1911 actually came through for once and shipped my 1966 Guild Starfire XII 12 String Semi-Hollowbody guitar over for me. There's plenty of TLC to be done for it and it's going into the shop this weekend, but I fiddled with it enough to get some noise out of it. I then replaced a few of the nastiest rusted strings with a spare pack of Squier .9 Bullets I had lying around and there you go.

Enjoy the "Before" vid!

I'll post an "After" when it comes back! But for now, here's a pic of what it looked like when I opened the case - not too shabby!

SF003.jpg

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #5,675 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I sold mine because I enjoyed speakers much more. I would like to give it another shot though.

There is a K1000 for sale here in Holland right now for a very decent price. Lack of funds is keeping me back though.
frown.gif

I understand!
Lack of funds can be a problem. Especially when you want to try/keep lots of gear.

625 Euro for the K1000 seems like a good deal. Hmmm, maybe I should bite it...
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #5,676 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand!
Lack of funds can be a problem. Especially when you want to try/keep lots of gear.

625 Euro for the K1000 seems like a good deal. Hmmm, maybe I should bite it...
tongue.gif

Hah, see if you can buy it faster than me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: just to avoid misunderstandings: I don't really plan on using it if I decide to buy it. So if you are actually want it don't hesitate to buy it.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #5,677 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, see if you can buy it faster than me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: just to avoid misunderstandings: I don't really plan on using it if I decide to buy it. So if you are actually want it don't hesitate to buy it.

Its all yours!
I don't intend going into a major bidding war for a pair of K1000's.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #5,679 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
****ing curse!

so today i was driving about and found an old marantz turntable sitting on top of a garbage heap. apparently the kind of individual who tosses a good record player also takes the time to cut the plugs off of it.

fortunately, this kind of idiot dosnt think to ebay off the vintage SHURE M3D cartridge. the turntable is in my basement, for the day i think its worth the effort to put plugs on it. i bet it sounds pretty sweet too. the arm is sexxxy.

shure M3D>>grado black. free upgrade!

if a local DIY'er wants the marantz, and my grado black, they are yours for $36 (the price of the grado black...) you will have to put on BOTH rca's and a power cable. they are both attached to strip board inside the chassis.

update to this post.
on supersticion i bought the upgrade stylus for the M3D (the n21 stylus) and installed it in the M3D. since i sold the rega off a while back, i mounted the M3D on my VPI scout.

yep, its holding its own. i can honestly say this cart was well worth the price of a new stylus, and maybe what the "nos" ones are trying to ask for...

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #5,683 of 6,026
Well, Well, Well......

I haven't played my Yamaha 12 for ages. Don't even remember how it sounds. Somehow, your Guild looks more like a serious guitar. I bought new strings for mine, so if I ever get around to re-stringing it… who knows?…

Y12_InCaseTop72_3723w.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So 1911 actually came through for once and shipped my 1966 Guild Starfire XII 12 String Semi-Hollowbody guitar over for me. There's plenty of TLC to be done for it and it's going into the shop this weekend, but I fiddled with it enough to get some noise out of it. I then replaced a few of the nastiest rusted strings with a spare pack of Squier .9 Bullets I had lying around and there you go.

Enjoy the "Before" vid!

I'll post an "After" when it comes back! But for now, here's a pic of what it looked like when I opened the case - not too shabby!

SF003.jpg

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #5,684 of 6,026
Man, love the semihollowbody love - first that Starfire II Bass on the previous page, and now double the doublestringed axes here! plus a Marshall in the middle! All Cursed gear welcome here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back