Before and after pics - CURSE YOU HEAD FI!
Jan 19, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #3,706 of 6,026
In one year the following has happened:

2569 posts, nearly 3K spent, and...

Before Head-fi:
cimg0428qe5.jpg

After Head-fi:
cimg0437cz5.jpg

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #3,707 of 6,026
hyrdo, i think yer gonna love those SR225s, 'grats!

grand, it's always more shocking when folks like you include the "before" pic - insane!

speaking of insane...

What happens when you are bored and you have nothing to buy in your budget? This.
qball.JPG

"Giottos Q Ball Air Blower Super Air Cleaning System.

A funky tech approach to keeping your high-tech digital camera equipment dust free! The Giottos Q-Ball Air Blower can be used on telescopes, computer keyboards, microscopes, communications equipment, just about any precision equipment or traditional and electrical musical instruments."

Just in case I develop "Grattle." Oh, and my poor Les Paul needs a good air dusting around the tricky tuning pegs. And it's environmentally sound, whee!
lambda.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #3,708 of 6,026
nice.. where you get it from? i need something like that for my laptop...

btw: my name is David, not grand. "granodemostasa" is short for "grano de mostasa" which is "mustard seed" in Spanish.

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #3,709 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice.. where you get it from? i need something like that for my laptop...

btw: my name is David, not grand. "granodemostasa" is short for "grano de mostasa" which is "mustard seed" in Spanish.

ah! Grano, i should have seen the O, sorry David!

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/qball.html

so sad, on my birthday i treated myself to a 9 buck squeezie instead of a 900 buck Gibson L50, bah.

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #3,710 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

k81.jpg

D

you reserved Doom3 too? I got the Baron of Hell pewter guy. I also reserved Prey and got 3 more from that game, they're cool little buggers
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #3,711 of 6,026
Wow.. I started on this site with a set of sony mdr-v500s, and I figured I would get maybe 1 pair of nice headphones. Looks like I didn't stick to that plan.

1st, I bought the senn. HD555s which started my love and appreciation for quality headphones, shown here with my Recently acquired 80GB iPod video ( traded my 60GB to my dad
wink.gif
)

362338260_b7133f643d_o.jpg

2nd, is the Grado SR80s that I bought on here which were custom cabled, and have a Brass screen instead of the regular plastic, these are still my favorite phones for almost all my listening I do at home. Shown here with the very clean example 1st generation iPod that I picked up on ebay for $5 ( the owner thought it was broken. turned out it just had a dead battery, changed it out myself and now it lasts forever
wink.gif
)

362338244_8d27ce209c_o.jpg

3rd, is the Etymotic ER4-Ps that I also bought on here because I wanted to experience true IEMs for the first time, I am still impressed with the detail these little guys give out. Shown with my 4GB iPod Nano.

362338303_b4b2b22584_o.jpg

And last but certainly not least! My latest acquisitions, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pros! I am loving these IEMs a heck of a lot. a buddy of mine at work really didn't like them, he found them to be uncomfortable, and gave me a very very good deal on them ( they had been used once ). They are shown with my new little iPod shuffle. We got them for free at work when they were released. ( All Apple employees got one
wink.gif
)

362338275_b9578009f3_o.jpg

So. now that i Have way more stuff than I should ( although no where near as much as some of you guys! lol ) I think I need to take a break and just enjoy the music
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #3,712 of 6,026
that's awesome that you have a DAP for every can! i just have my one 30gig 5G vidpod, and i do worry sometimes about the constant plugging and unplugging going on from config to config.

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #3,713 of 6,026
i guess it's inevitable working at Apple that one would amass a bunch of iPods
wink.gif

typically speaking though, the Etys and now the UEs are the ones that get used with my iPods, the Grados typically get plugged into my Powermac to listen to my library at home. and the Senns also get plugged into my powermac when I watch movies ( they work wonderfully for movies, I must say
wink.gif
)

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #3,714 of 6,026
The DIY curse continues...

Thinking that the Aikido would be my only winter project sure didn't last long. With the release of amb's most recent design, called the beta22, I figured that there was enough room in my stack for another solid state amp. It's all about balance doncha know! It's an all discrete, MOSFET output, full class A amp that in my configuration runs off a complementary regulated, discrete, dual rail tracking MOSFET-based power supply (also designed by amb) putting out +/- 30V. I haven't completed the build yet but I do have it up and running with air-wired inputs and outputs.

72455957.jpg

I hope to have this amp cased up and complete before the NYC Meet in a little over a month. My listening impressions so far have been limited to my Ipod as a source and my HD586's (580's w/ 600 grills) but oh, mama this thing is a [size=medium]BEAST[/size]!

Also, I decided to pass along my beloved Headroom Millett Hybrid that I had been using as an amp at work. Clearly I was not willing to go without an amp entirely at work so I set about building myself a replacement. Here's what I came up with...

73089338.jpg

73089340.jpg

It's a TREAD powered PIMETA complete with internal USB DAC and an additional mini input for use with the Ipod. I've been using it for about a week now and I'm very pleased with the results.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #3,716 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice stuff n_maher!

I recall saying "I'm getting out of headphones" not all that long ago... Now:
setupjan.jpg

I see you have finally received the Sennheiser HE60/HEV70. Enjoy!
icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #3,717 of 6,026
I'm so envious of your gear, digitalmind, especially the HE60 and K1000. What do you think of HE60 vs. K1000?

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #3,718 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you have finally received the Sennheiser HE60/HEV70. Enjoy!
icon10.gif

Not quite enjoying it as much as I'd hoped..... there's a buzz in the left channel. Really hoping it's some dust or a hair, and not a bad driver. The previous owner never mentioned it, and when my dad picked it up it was dead quiet. Also, the sound fluctuates, at times it's there then a couple seconds later it's gone. Going to try to open them today to see what's wrong.

I can't hear it with music playing, but still, it obviously shouldn't be there. It sounds great, no noted sibilance or crackling in the highs as I'd expect if it was a driver problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so envious of your gear, digitalmind, especially the HE60 and K1000. What do you think of HE60 vs. K1000?

Thanks, really flattering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't had much time with the HE60 because of the reason above.
frown.gif

I'll give it plenty hours of listening today and tomorow though. I'm currently listening to my reference cd, a cd I made with 5 songs that I know well and really, really like. This consists of 1) Pink Floyd - Hey You, 2) Muse - Hyper Chondriac Music, 3) Massive Attack - Man Next Door, 4) QOTSA - No One Knows, 5) I Am X - This Will Make You Love Again.

The first four tracks sounded great, but nothing all that special. It didn't do anything extra for me that the K-1000 doesn't do. But on track 5, the K-1000 has NOTHING on the HE60. It sounds so good, the vocals are spectacular, and so is the piano. I guess this is just a track that works well with electrostats, it sounds brilliant. The reverb of the piano is so great. It's a bit sibilant with the vocals but any headphone setup I've heard with this track is. Keep in mind that I'm running the K-1000 from a cheap 5.1 receiver at the moment though.

I doubt it can replace the K-1000 though, I'm so in love with that thing it's dangerous. I'm planning on selling everything but the K-1000 and building a rig around that. This afternoon someone is coming to listen and possibly buy the RS-1, and if that sale goes through I'm picking up a Aleph clone for the K-1000 tomorow.

EDIT:

Ha! As Kees tipped me, if they have been left unplayed for awhile they will need some hours to charge up and get back in shape. And, these haven't played at all for atleast a year. I guess my worries were just my inexperience with electrostats, as the buzz is now pretty much entirely gone. Let's hope it stays that way.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #3,719 of 6,026
maher, awesome DIY! i'd love to have to ability to just say "hmm i think i need an amp for the office" and whip one up!

digi, if you're going to move the K1000 direction, does that mean you won't be replacing the baby o's energizer? something like the KGSS really brings out the best in a baby O, and has that bass prescence that the K1K doesn't have. imho of course, and good problem to have, having so many great cans! the Curse still has its tendrils in you!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #3,720 of 6,026
Well, in the end I want to have a single headphone and a pair of speakers. The HE60 really intrigues me and I do think that even with the couple hours I have on it now it would improve greatly with a different energizer. However, the K-1000 could be run on the same amplifier that the speakers would run on. That's a BIG plus for me, as it saves quite a bit of money. At the moment I've invested too much as it is allready and a different energizer/amp for the HE60 is simply not possible.

Since I'm picking up a 2 x 20 watt Class A Pass Aleph M clone tomorow, I'll have a good amp for the K-1000 as well as for a pair of high sensitivity speakers. The RS-1 is being picked up tomorow, possibly with the Mapletree as a combo package. And, the HE60 might end up being sold as well. I'd love to keep them all, but it's just not financially possible, or well, not when I also want speakers. I bought the Baby Orpheus thinking it's something I'd love to try out, but wouldn't necesarily dedicate a rig to it.

The K-1000 more than satisfies me, even in the bass department. It could do with a bit more presence there, but it's a tradeoff I'll gladly make for being able to have a pair of decent speakers next to the headphone rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back