Before and after pics - CURSE YOU HEAD FI!
Nov 19, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #3,346 of 6,026
insigniabestbuyheadfi.jpg

Only $50 but I still would never have gotten them if it weren't for Head-Fi
icon10.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #3,347 of 6,026
Just spent the last 3 hours cleaning up and re-arranging my room for the speakers:

overallspeakerside1.jpg

overallspeakerside2.jpg

insigniaspeakers.jpg

insigniaheadon.jpg

headspeakergears.jpg

I really love the sound of speakers after listening pretty much exclusively to headphones for so long. The Insignia's just sound so much more natural, exciting, immersive, and authoritative than my STAX (The only things that I miss are the details/electrostatic presentation of the STAX and the distinct channel separation). Turning off all the lights and just relaxing in my bed is so much more comfortable and pleasing than having a pair of headphones strapped onto my head and not really being able to lie down on my pillow. I'm seriously considering selling my STAX rig and entering the world of speaker-fi...
CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!!!

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #3,348 of 6,026
Be aware that getting good results in speaker-fi is VERY expensive. And although I have an excellent (and expensive) speaker stereo, I still love listening to headphones. I'd advise to hand onto the headphone rig, and keep going with a traditional hi-fi as funds allow.

Nov 19, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #3,349 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Insignia's just sound so much more natural, exciting, immersive, and authoritative than my STAX
I'm seriously considering selling my STAX rig and entering the world of speaker-fi...

Hello.

I am completly new to the head-Fi world.

i am to buy gears very similar to your Sony SCD-CE595 -> Zhaolu D2C -> STAX SRM-313 -> STAX SR-404 setup.

but your sentence just frightened me
blink.gif

are you telling me that a 50$ speaker sounds better than your 450$ Stax ?

confused.gif

Please help
redface.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #3,350 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by law1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.

i am to buy gears very similar to your Sony SCD-CE595 -> Zhaolu D2C -> STAX SRM-313 -> STAX SR-404 setup.

blink.gif

confused.gif

Please help
redface.gif

It all depends on what you like.

A 2007 Porshe is not a good vehicle (if you have to take 4 kids and 15 soccer balls to practice every night)

Its the same with headphones, in my opinion. I myself, enjoy music coming directly into my ears, and not from front, left and behind. Because of that, I seem to get more enjoyment listening to high end headphones, then high end speakers. I use to not enjoy headphone listening (for the majority of my tasks) But after I grabbed some Senns. and got a solid setup, I havn't turned on my high end "KEF" speaker setup in months.

The good thing as well, is if you get your STAX setup, and it blows chunks, then flipping it, is nowhere near as bad, as flipping other electronics

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #3,351 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by law1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.

blink.gif

confused.gif

Please help
redface.gif

Oh no, you shouldn't worry. If you're into headphones (particularly electrostats) then you should love that STAX system. I love my Insignia's over my STAX rig (both use the D2C as a source) for the following reasons:
-More authority/weight behind the music
-More natural sound with a lot more space/air in the environment
-Creates the best listening environment at night (Turning off all the lights and having this beautiful music just appear out of blank space in front me...)
(These are pretty much all traditional/acknowledged reasons as to why speakers can be better than headphones; they go without saying)

However, what I miss from my STAX rig are the following:
-Detail/speed (The STAX undoubtedly have much more detail and speed. The STAX sound is more in your face with these details than the Insignia's).
-Distinct channel separation (It's going to take me a while to get used to having the two channels sort of mix and co-mingle in the space in front of me with the Insignia's; I'm used to having both channels completely separated and dedicated to different ears, so this is going to take a while to get used to)
-Isolation (I can't "bump" these speakers to the same volumes that I use with my SR-404s, which becomes a real problem since I prefer to listen to music at night)

Well, whether I enter fully speaker-fi or not, I definetly want to pick up a better amp along the way (I really don't like my current one because it constantly makes a loud "whirring" noise). Then I guess I could passively upgrade my speaker rig as I upgrade my Zhaolu with a Zapfilter.

Nov 20, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #3,352 of 6,026
The Curse is strong. Not only does Head-Fi pervade Speaker-fi, or Watch-fi, or Dog-fi...it also hunts you down in Bike-fi!

HornetBike.jpg

Of course, I picked one that was called "The Hornet."
lambda.gif
Should be here by Thanksgiving, whee!

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #3,353 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just spent the last 3 hours cleaning up and re-arranging my room for the speakers:

overallspeakerside1.jpg

overallspeakerside2.jpg

I really love the sound of speakers after listening pretty much exclusively to headphones for so long. The Insignia's just sound so much more natural, exciting, immersive, and authoritative than my STAX (The only things that I miss are the details/electrostatic presentation of the STAX and the distinct channel separation). Turning off all the lights and just relaxing in my bed is so much more comfortable and pleasing than having a pair of headphones strapped onto my head and not really being able to lie down on my pillow. I'm seriously considering selling my STAX rig and entering the world of speaker-fi...
CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!!!

Nice. I think we can start a Team 'I shoe-horned a pair of speakers into my tiny room'
rs1smile.gif

P.S. Is there another door not in the photo because I'm not seeing how you can enter and leave
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #3,354 of 6,026
oh yeah, this weekend i hit the delaware bargain bins hard. i was THIS close to scoring the below album for my "horrendous album covers" vinyl collection before the Wife gave me The Eye. woops.

B0009S8FP0.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1125657472_.jpg

Nov 20, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #3,355 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by av98m2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice. I think we can start a Team 'I shoe-horned a pair of speakers into my tiny room'
rs1smile.gif

P.S. Is there another door not in the photo because I'm not seeing how you can enter and leave
biggrin.gif

The door's next to me in the first picture; it's in the other corner of the room.

I'm really loving these Insignia speakers. It's such a great feeling to experience sound coming from this empty space in between the speakers. I really don't want to go back to headphones, but, of course, I'll have to since I can never find any time when I can really bump these speakers
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #3,356 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh yeah, this weekend i hit the delaware bargain bins hard. i was THIS close to scoring the below album for my "horrendous album covers" vinyl collection before the Wife gave me The Eye. woops.

B0009S8FP0.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1125657472_.jpg

That's a GREAT album cover! A total, legendary classic. I have a copy. Good album too, if you like HA.

Nov 20, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #3,358 of 6,026
Did some research on my incoming bike, looks like it was from 1963 lol!

1963HornetCatalog.jpg

And btw that new whipped cream CD cover is sexay, but nothing beats the true horrific allure of that original album!
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #3,359 of 6,026
what gives? am i finally saturated? this week i bought into Bike-fi, Guitar-fi, and now CAMERA-fi?

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ix_f30-review/

Had to get the thing because my Sony doesn't even beat my old Canon A75 Powershot. And hey, it's a 50 buck rebate right now so i got the F30 for $150 shipped to my door, should be here by next week. Also, I own a Guild F30, so I consider this Karma
cool.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #3,360 of 6,026
Score another point for the WAF! I think I finally found a hobby that we can share- just scored her this little cruiser!
hawthorne60sladies.jpg

Mine looks like it could use some work, but hers looks good to go. Probably by the time I spiff mine up, it'll be about as pricey as hers, so I'll call it even, hehe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and don't you all dare tell her I was inspired by the Whipped Cream LP cover for the color selection...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back