Before and after pics - CURSE YOU HEAD FI!
Nov 13, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #556 of 6,026
Shiny.
blink.gif

But do they glow pink?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #557 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Shiny.
blink.gif

But do they glow pink?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good point- they aren't The Pink Russian anymore. Hmm, and not Telefunkenators either...

*Changes sig to a more appropriate Dutch nick!*

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #559 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
mmmm....Amperex Holland! Awesome sound and the older they are, the better they sound!
wink.gif

I tend to prefer the Telefunken pcc88's ever so slightly on the Melos, but great tubes nevertheless!

Thankee! Yep I thought I'd give them a go, because I've tried the Telefunken sound, and although they are awesome, they don't have the slam I'm used to (I'm too unrefined to appreciate em hehe!)

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #560 of 6,026
You might just prefer the amperex better in your system. Also I don't know how different they will sound on your melos, but on my sha-1 the siemens pcc88's had the most dynamic and punchy sound out of the ones I tried.

You can find them fairly cheap on ebay these days...Worth a shot if the Amperex doesn't do it for you.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #561 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
You better believe it! And I know it's not a fair comparo, but versus the Melos, the AE-1 pushes everything up in your face, very forward and more solid-statey aggressive, sort of like the SR71 vs the The Hornet. I'm starting to realize that when you're on the go, that kind of sound is bettery portably, and the tunes coming out of the melos help you digest everything more comfortably in a home setting.

AE-1 … lots of something, but sounds more like mid-bass and not much low bass. Sounds warm and lush, and sometimes punch, with some music — but with other music it's sometimes just wrong. It is a good on-the-go sound, but so is the Hornet which has more low frequency energy and cleaner highs and transients with better timbral nuance.

AE-1is the best amp for hearing ever word of vocals clearly annunciated. In others it sometimes less wonderful. I prefer the Hornet for portable SQ in addition to size — but I haven't yet had time to compare them personally, and have yet to study a fully burned in Hornet (at least some of the units Ray had at the meet were new and in need of burn in...).

I did find the AE-1 very lush and satisfying when a recording had a lot of information in its "comfort zone" of mid-bass to lower mids.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #562 of 6,026
Wow. Your tube madness is really starting to take off
biggrin.gif
Good luck.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #563 of 6,026
Exotic tubes … low microphonics … how much do they cost?

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #564 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Exotic tubes … low microphonics … how much do they cost?

A little less than $100 for the pair, and since the Telefunkens sold for a little more than $100 for the pair, I can consider it a wash, even when factoring in the ten bucks I spent on the russian tubes, hehe!
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #565 of 6,026
What can I say. Herbie the Love Ring has struck.

halo4.jpg

Got a pair of tube dampers to help with the already low microphonics of the incoming tubes. Beep beep!

Nov 15, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #566 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
What can I say. Herbie the Love Ring has struck.

halo4.jpg

Got a pair of tube dampers to help with the already low microphonics of the incoming tubes. Beep beep!

Thanks for the link! I was thinking about buying some dampers, does it significantly lower microphonics?

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #567 of 6,026
Quote:

Thanks for the link! I was thinking about buying some dampers, does it significantly lower microphonics?

It looks like they did their homework-

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/halofaqs.htm

plus they did a comparo with all their competitors. and at the NYC meet i saw more of their rings than anyone else's so i'm hoping majority proves truth hehe. We'll see when they come!

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #569 of 6,026
Quote:

Oh man, after reading through the FAQ and reviews..

I broke down and ordered a pair! My paypal has been attacked once again!
frown.gif

The Curse is in effect!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back