Beethoven Symphonies - Sonically Brilliant Recordings.
Jul 26, 2009 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
I purchased my first set of IEM's, the Sennheiser IE8's, almost a year ago. After more than 500+ hours of burn-in I can honestly say that I am quite impressed with their sound quality straight out of my iPod Classic. I have ripped my CD's using Apple Lossless. As far as listening to my classical music recordings, I have not had any issues with sound quality, except of course, with my Beethoven symphonies. I have had the same CD's of Beethoven for years. For example, I have the famous 70's Karajan recordings and the Carlos Kleiber recordings. The problem with them is that their sound quality just doesn't measure up to my other CD's. The sound is dark and compressed and I find that I am not listening to this music that much due to the sound quality issues. Does anyone have any recommendations for recordings that are brilliant sonically as well as brilliantly performed? I have read that Claudio Abaddo's recordings are at the top of the heap but I have not heard them myself. Please weigh in with your recommendations. Thank you.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased my first set of IEM's, the Sennheiser IE8's, almost a year ago. After more than 500+ hours of burn-in I can honestly say that I am quite impressed with their sound quality straight out of my iPod Classic. I have ripped my CD's using Apple Lossless. As far as listening to my classical music recordings, I have not had any issues with sound quality, except of course, with my Beethoven symphonies. I have had the same CD's of Beethoven for years. For example, I have the famous 70's Karajan recordings and the Carlos Kleiber recordings. The problem with them is that their sound quality just doesn't measure up to my other CD's. The sound is dark and compressed and I find that I am not listening to this music that much due to the sound quality issues. Does anyone have any recommendations for recordings that are brilliant sonically as well as brilliantly performed? I have read that Claudio Abaddo's recordings are at the top of the heap but I have not heard them myself. Please weigh in with your recommendations. Thank you.

The enitre Osmo Vanska series is the most well recorded Beethoven cycle for sure. I have no further recommendation beyond that because the performances are about as good as they come also.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks David, again, for chiming in with your opinion. I just checked Amazon for them. Is there a complete set of all the symphonies?

As far as I know bis hasn't released a complete set. If you want to sample just one CD from the set I would go with the 7th or 9th.......whichever symphony of those two you prefer.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 47
I haven't heard the Osmo Vanska set, but the Abaddo set is top of the heap too and you will not regret getting it, it combines the best of the new school HIP-influenced scaled down orchestral recordings with the old school full-scale orchestral recordings. You will, however, have to turn up your volume dial to the max to enjoy it has it has been mixed to be very soft. On a budget the Zinman set is terrific too. As far as I am concern those 2 are the only sets released in the past 20 years that's worth giving a damn about. Many people love the Harnoncourt and Gardiner set, I don't but if you are looking for a light Beethoven you might like them.

Has anyone gotten the Andre Cluytens set? I have heard good things about it.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 47
[/QUOTE] The enitre Osmo Vanska series is the most well recorded Beethoven cycle for sure. I have no further recommendation beyond that because the performances are about as good as they come also. [/QUOTE]
X2 Very good set, Ive enjoyed this well recorded set which allows you to enjoy the music without any hiss or other distractions.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 47
Are you on a Mac by chance? If so, I find ripping with Apple Lossless in iTunes makes some CDs darker/compressed then usual. So I use the freeware XLD to do my Apple Lossless rips instead. it even imports them into iTunes right away. Not saying it's the cause here, you might not even have a Mac but I thought I'd let you know just incase......

Now back to great Beethoven recordings!!!

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 47
Thanks for the recommendation about ripping techniques. To tell you the truth, it is only with the Beethoven symphonies that I have a problem in terms of sound quality. Yes, I do have a Mac. All of my James Levine and Riccardo Muti recordings sound brilliant ripping with Apple Lossless. I really suspect the fault lies in the old recordings.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 47
Immerseel, Vanska, Gardiner, Paavo Jarvi, Abbado, and Zinman all have great sound quality in Beethoven recordings. But, my number one rec for both sound quality and performance is the latest Mackerras cycle with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra - knocks it out of the park for SQ and performance!

51KMGF7r8yL._SS400_.jpg

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 47
Tyson, thanks for the rec. I have had bought some CDs based on your recommendations. If you think Charles mackerras's set is better than Gardiner's, you may want to update your rec thread.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you on a Mac by chance? If so, I find ripping with Apple Lossless in iTunes makes some CDs darker/compressed then usual. So I use the freeware XLD to do my Apple Lossless rips instead. it even imports them into iTunes right away. Not saying it's the cause here, you might not even have a Mac but I thought I'd let you know just incase......

I can state with 100% certainty that a lossless rip is a lossless rip and the quality of the sound quality between different lossless rips will only change based on whether you get a perfect rip or an imperfect rip. XLD does ensure a perfect rip moreso than iTunes does, BUT in neither case would the rip sound darker or more compressed than the other.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone gotten the Andre Cluytens set? I have heard good things about it.

I've had this set for 40 years -- on LP then CD. Cluytens was a great conductor especially in the French repertoire, but unexpectedly fine in Beethoven. Marvelous playing from the same orchestra that had recorded them with Karajan with completely different results. The 9th doesn't reach the pinnacles, but the others are superb. But alas, the sound isn't. It's early 60's EMI which is short on bass line, clarity, etc. For modern sound I prefer the Paavo Jarvi set on RCA or the superb Mackerras on Hyperion.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Immerseel, Vanska, Gardiner, Paavo Jarvi, Abbado, and Zinman all have great sound quality in Beethoven recordings. But, my number one rec for both sound quality and performance is the latest Mackerras cycle with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra - knocks it out of the park for SQ and performance!

51KMGF7r8yL._SS400_.jpg

Thank you for showing me this, I wasn't aware of it and I have 25 cycles. Have to get this!

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is possible that the older classical recordings have pre-emphasis. iTunes automagically applies de-emphasis during a rip if it detects pre-emphasis. iTunes de-emphasis routines aren't the best and do affect the sound quality of the rip. If you have CDs with pre-emphasis it is better to use SoX to do the de-emhasis rather than iTunes. Info here: Ripping CDs that have pre-emphasis

If you have been listening to ripped pre-emphasis CDs without any de-emphasis then what you have been listening to is overly bright and would explain why you thing iTunes makes the rip sound darker and compressed.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The enitre Osmo Vanska series is the most well recorded Beethoven cycle for sure. I have no further recommendation beyond that because the performances are about as good as they come also.

Those recordings are by BIS. Do you know if they did pre-emphasis on those CDs? BIS is notorious for doing pre-emphasis on their CD releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back