Beethoven Symphonies - Sonically Brilliant Recordings.
Jul 29, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #31 of 47
Yours scares me more. Drunk Nick Nolte vs. HAL? No contest there.

BTW, if you are a Kubrick fan (and who isn't? He's only the greatest film maker in the history of cinema), you MUST check out this site:

http://collativelearning.com/FILMS%2...OB%20AGER.html

Some of the best analysis of Kubrick's films that I've come across in 20 years. Some parts are bunk (when he gets into conspiracy theories), but the rest is eye opening, to say the least.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #33 of 47
I think I recall some reviews of the Mackerras set mentioning some audience and platform noise, though I can't find them now. That might be an issue for those wanting the best recording quality.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #34 of 47
I was checking the website of Hyperion to see if the set is also available in SACD (apparently not), and I discovered that Hyperion is having a sale on it. The total price is 26.95 pounds, or about $44. Shipping is via air mail, but no additional charge.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was checking the website of Hyperion to see if the set is also available in SACD (apparently not), and I discovered that Hyperion is having a sale on it. The total price is 26.95 pounds, or about $44. Shipping is via air mail, but no additional charge.

The first 3 Jarvi CDs are on sale at Amazon for $12. You can get all three 3 CDs for $36 with free shipping / no tax. Not saying it's necessarily better than Mackerras, but it's a pretty strong set.

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #36 of 47
No love for the Bernard Haitink, LSO cycle? How about the Rene Leibowitz with the RPO? I think both of those sound great!

The original release of Karajan's 1963 cycle is also great sounding IMHO as is John Eliot Gardiner's cycle.

David Zinman's cycle also sounds great and is very affordable!

Just some food for thought.
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #37 of 47
I love the Leibowitz set - probably my favorite 'big band' set. But the sound, good as it was for its day, is not competitive today. This thread is about sonically brilliant recordings, and I am assuming that the listening is through headphones. For my money that means digital, hiss-less, wow- and rumble-less sound. Performances aside, the Mackerras on Hyperion, Jarvi on RCA, and Vanska on Bis have the best sound I've heard.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #39 of 47
I have both. Mackerras has better sound.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No love for the Bernard Haitink, LSO cycle? How about the Rene Leibowitz with the RPO? I think both of those sound great!

The original release of Karajan's 1963 cycle is also great sounding IMHO as is John Eliot Gardiner's cycle.

David Zinman's cycle also sounds great and is very affordable!

Just some food for thought.
wink.gif

My Beethoven symphonies collection consists of Haitink with the Concertgebouw (recorded 1985-1987) and Norrington with the London Classical Players (from around 1987). Might be about time for me to think about adding another collection of the cycle, but I don't know what. It would make sense to get something that is different in style from Haitink's Concertgebouw version.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #41 of 47
I don't know if you've head the Karajan recordings, but they are fantastic. He is definitely one of the best conductors ever. I suggest you check his recordings out and if you're interested Deutsche Grammophon released a set of all of the symphony recordings Karajan has ever done, one of the best buys I've made.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mayanez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you've head the Karajan recordings, but they are fantastic. He is definitely one of the best conductors ever. I suggest you check his recordings out and if you're interested Deutsche Grammophon released a set of all of the symphony recordings Karajan has ever done, one of the best buys I've made.

Them's fightin' words 'round here!

His best Beethoven was the EMI, but sonically out dated. His first stereo DG set remains for many his best set. His 1990's digital set is almost universally despised: horrible sound, bad conducting, lifeless playing.

HVK made some legendary recordings, but most have fallen into the wastebin of history. His reputation has clearly fallen since his death, which is not the norm with the great ones, whose reputations keep improving long after they're gone. It will be interesting to see where his reputation is in another 25 years.

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mayanez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have listened to the Karajan recordings for 15 years now. Yes, I have always liked them but, like I said in the opening post, the sound quality of the EMI recordings just isn't up to snuff. The DG recordings, uh, I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both. Mackerras has better sound.

I don't have both, but I will say without even having heard the Mackerras set that I don't think the two sets will be comparable......Vanska uses a much larger orchestra (more common with beethoven), mackerras is more of a Period instrument set......they're probably both worth getting, but I would start with the Vanska because the interpretation style will be far more the norm.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my money that means digital, hiss-less, wow- and rumble-less sound.

Sigh.
rolleyes.gif

Your shutting your world off to a lot of great recordings by sticking to these standards. The best recordings I have ever heard contain hiss and are analog and were recorded back in the 50's and 60's.

I could go on and on but that would be beating a dead horse. Different strokes I guess.

deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back