Beethoven Symphonies - Sonically Brilliant Recordings.
Jul 28, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 47
I think the Jarvi cycle, which is now almost complete, beats Vanska in performance. Both have spectacular sound, but I think the Jarvi is a lot more exciting. But honestly, as Tyson said, you can't go wrong with Vanska, Abbado, Gardiner, Zinman, Mackerras, and many others.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 47
I have just gotten my hands on the Vanska set. Sound quality wise it is very good, but performance wise it's about on par as the Karajan 1979 set, i.e it's a bit lacking in excitment, overly smooth and soulless. Definitely not on the same level as the Abbado set.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 47
I wouldn't call Vanska soulless, rather I would call him "light". His is a more playful and high spirited interpretation, less sturm und drang compared to most others. IMO, it is Abbado who is bordering on soulless, especially compared to Paavo Jarvi, Gardiner, Immerseel, and the latest Mackerras.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #20 of 47
You can more easily distinguish the sounds of different instruments in the Mackerras recordings. It's more dynamic as well.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the latest Mackerrass or the Vanska? Which of these two have the best sound quality? I know, I know, this is subjective, but anyway...

MacKerras/Hyperion was my last purchase on the existing older Beethoven thread here.......similar in style but slightly better than the Immerseel set, more dramatic and exciting compared to Vanska who never lets go enough for me, Vanska is a bit too neat and refined for me.

Because of the smaller orchestra and playing style used Mackerras/SCO has a more intimate detailed presentation with clarified textures, Vanska is a more classic large orchestra sound with a very smooth liquid sound......too smooth for me but others may be receptive to this style

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #22 of 47
The recent Dausgaard/Simax set has tremendous drama using hybrid HIP playing style and offers great insights into these classical warhorses........but extremely expensive and hard to find, they are mixed together with overtures and piano concerto set to greatly expand the number of CDs needed for complete set.......and we still are awaiting a recording of the 9th symphony to complete the set

The ongoing Pavo Jarvi/RCA set also has shown great promise, similar in style to recent MacKerras and Immerseel

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't call Vanska soulless, rather I would call him "light". His is a more playful and high spirited interpretation, less sturm und drang compared to most others. IMO, it is Abbado who is bordering on soulless, especially compared to Paavo Jarvi, Gardiner, Immerseel, and the latest Mackerras.

Uh, I think there's nothing high spirited about Vanska, his performances are all generally rather flat and mediocre. High spirited would be how I would describe the Abbado set, so I can't understand how you could think that it's bordering on soulless.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #26 of 47
For me, Abbado sounds almost like corporate muzak. To me it doesn't even really sound like real instruments, but rather more like abstract sounds approximating real instruments. Not that I like Vanska all that much better, both are clearly put in the shade by Mackerras, Paavo Jarvi, Gardiner, and Immerseel - these 4 have great sound coupled with passionate performances. Abbado has great sound, but is "a man of wax", to paraphrase Shakespeare.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

For me, Abbado sounds almost like corporate muzak. To me it doesn't even really sound like real instruments, but rather more like abstract sounds approximating real instruments. Not that I like Vanska all that much better, both are clearly put in the shade by Mackerras, Paavo Jarvi, Gardiner, and Immerseel - these 4 have great sound coupled with passionate performances. Abbado has great sound, but is "a man of wax", to paraphrase Shakespeare.

I haven't heard Mackerras, Paavo Jarvi and Immerseel, but the Gardiner set features some really bad conducting and rushed performance, so I am not sure if you could call it passionate (heck, I don't think you can call anything from Gardiner passionate, that guy always had a focus on surface beauty at the expense of depth). It's in your head, I highly urge you to relisten to the Abbado set again, it is one of the most passionate out there. Most of the modern sets sound faster and lighter than the old Karajan-style sets, but at the same time also more shallow and lacking in power. Abbado's set doesn't suffer from that problem, and it's the prefect balance betweem those 2 styles. And that's why to me it's the best of all the Beethoven sets.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

When you say, "great sound", do you mean how the symphonies are recorded or conducted? I have excellent recordings in terms of conducting, but what I'm looking for ultimately is the very best in sound quality.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #29 of 47
David,
If you are looking for awesome sound quality, Mackerras is your man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back