Beethoven Symphonies - Sonically Brilliant Recordings.
Aug 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #46 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh.
rolleyes.gif

Your shutting your world off to a lot of great recordings by sticking to these standards. The best recordings I have ever heard contain hiss and are analog and were recorded back in the 50's and 60's.

deadhorse.gif

Not at all. I have a huge amount of historical recordings. Everything from 78's to mono LPs to cd transfers. When I use the the word RECORDING I'm talking exactly about that: the technical capture of the sound on tape/shellac/cd whatever. The PERFORMANCE is another matter. Some of the greatest Prokofieff ever came from Ormandy in Philadelphia. I'll take it, hiss and all. It's a great performances, but the recording quality is clearly not up to modern standards. I love the old Weingartner/Brahms recordings, but those are 80 years old now. When I listen with headphones I want the best sound possible. I listen to lots of older recordings, but I use speakers. There were some fine recordings made in the 50's and 60's with really great sound that I don't mind with headphones, but they're in the minority. I also realize all too well that there are some superb recordings that are hampered by dull, uninspired performances. Too many of those are being made these days.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #47 of 47
The majority of my collection is older recordings as well. Some older recordings sound very good, others don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back