BEER ME!
May 27, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #106 of 182
[size=small]Novices and Beer Lovers alike! May I suggest a few of my favorite books on Beer? Fun reading, and very informative!![/size]

"BEER" by Gregg Smith
"A Taste For Beer" by Stephen Beaumont
"Beer Companion" by Michael Jackson (he has many wonderful books on the subject)

Stephen Beaumont's website
http://worldofbeer.com/

Michael Jackson's website
http://www.beerhunter.com/

May 27, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #107 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Someone was drinking otherwise!!! Blasphemy!!! Unforgivable!!!

come on, nothing's better than a jupiler right at the bottle
wink.gif

May 27, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #109 of 182
Quote:

The disadvantages of memory? Sorry Sisyphus, I mean Rene.
Samuel Smith Taddy Porter is nice once in a while. Dark beer I don't like:Samuel Smith Imperial stout.

ss_taddy_bott.gif

Yeah, all the SAm Smiths are worth a try. Imperial stout is one of the super alcohol beers (though the SS version is only slightly extra iirc). The story is that they were for export to the Russians via the Barents Sea and would freeze in the hold without more alcohol!

May 27, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #110 of 182
Here's that Tuborg Christmas beer which they sell every Christmas around Scandinavia. Great stuff!!

TuborgJulebryg.JPG

May 27, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #111 of 182
outdoor man actually mailed me a couple of "kanon" beers from holland (i believe). they were great, and they lived up to their name with the high alcohol content. i can't find them around here, though.

May 27, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #112 of 182
Staropramen, a Czech beer, is becoming very popular over here:

staropramen.gif

May 27, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #114 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Imperial stout is one of the super alcohol beers (though the SS version is only slightly extra iirc). The story is that they were for export to the Russians via the Barents Sea and would freeze in the hold without more alcohol!

I had had another Imperial stout with equally unliked results. But the alltime most undrinkable beer I've had was Swiss(?) 12% ale called 'Sami Klaus' brewed once a year for Xmas. I took a sip of this liquorice black liquid, shook my head, had another sip to verify, shook my head again and poured it down the drain. Another undrinkable was one made with jalapeno peppers but I considered that a novelty/joke beer.

May 27, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #116 of 182
Quote:

I had had another Imperial stout with equally unliked results. But the alltime most undrinkable beer I've had was Swiss(?) 12% ale called 'Sami Klaus' brewed once a year for Xmas. I took a sip of this liquorice black liquid, shook my head, had another sip to verify, shook my head again and poured it down the drain. Another undrinkable was one made with jalapeno peppers but I considered that a novelty/joke beer.

Samiclaus is about 18% by volume. It is actually considered a Barleywine. If you aren't used to such a beer, it is wayyyyyyyy over the top! I have 3 bottles still, I think. A 1996, 1997, and 2000.

May 27, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #117 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGR
Samiclaus is about 18% by volume. It is actually considered a Barleywine. If you aren't used to such a beer, it is wayyyyyyyy over the top! I have 3 bottles still, I think. A 1996, 1997, and 2000.

Blaaah! I hate that stuff. Tastes like beer with Vodka in it..
blinkphones.gif

May 27, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #118 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Blaaah! I hate that stuff. Tastes like beer with Vodka in it..
blinkphones.gif

Ha! At one time, Samiclaus was the strongest beer in the world. Now; it's about the 5th strongest.

These types of beers are best enjoyed after dinner, in a snifter. These are not guzzler beers. Very much an acquired taste.

May 27, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #119 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGR
Ha! At one time, Samiclaus was the strongest beer in the world. Now; it's about the 5th strongest.

These types of beers are best enjoyed after dinner, in a snifter. These are not guzzler beers. Very much an acquired taste.

What, you mean you make one beer last for hours..? Is that possible..
lach_3.gif
Think I'm mixing with the wrong crowd...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #120 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
What, you mean you make one beer last for hours..? Is that possible..
lach_3.gif
Think I'm mixing with the wrong crowd...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure! After dinner sometimes, on the weekends. I can enjoy a 12oz. bottle of a good barleywine ale last pretty much through a movie.

Remember; all barleywine ales are not 18%! Bigfoot by Sierra Nevada is 9.6%. But; typically, barleywines are 9% and above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back