Been out of the game, need some hind/in-sight
Jan 16, 2011 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Magnum22

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Years ago when I got into headphones, the top cans were the K701, HD595, HD650, RS1, etc.  I get in and out every couple years and my last purchase was the HFI 780, which I'm quite pleased with.

I just noticed how dramatically the price has dropped on the 595 and 701, and seeing as I always wanted those, I wonder if they're still worth it considering the new products on the market and the cans I already own.

So for the mad men who have all the cutting edge cans, would you still buy those models considering what you've seen since their reign?

Currently, in decreasing order of preference, I own HFI 780, ES7, HD485, SR60, px100.

Sources: many vintage PCDP's, sansa clips, macbook, and a penguin royal which blew out my beloved PortaPros.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 3
I think the K701's are an even better option now with the lower price. There are still many people that love them and some even prefer them to the new higher end stuff. I just got a pair myself but don't have the proper amping to make a fair assessment of them. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, Hammer.  

Just going through the "regret" thread and I see a lot of 595.

One in particular said that it sounds almost identical to the 485, with better soundstage, which I'm assuming will require great amplification to ever hear.  Seeing as I love my 485, unamped, that's enough to take the 595 out of the running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back