Been living under a rock for 3 years, what am I now looking at for 1-3grand ?
Oct 4, 2010 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
 I haven't been on this site in years (literally), but about seven years ago I was a very active memeber of this site! I've owned the r10, l3000, several stax models, majority of the highest end grados (ps1,hp-1,rs-1,alessendro's) and tried pretty much everything that was at the time a major headliner at the time (he90, omega I  and II).

Anyway looking to set up a little system for my home and although I don't really know what the amp/source will be yet- i've always liked to build things around the headphones rather then much of anything else.

I see a lot of high end headphones have come out, hd800, e8, grado has the their new 1000... to be honest I'm sort of lost and could you some advice hahaa! Are any of these clear cut better headphones then what I have owned? Or merely rivals at cheaper price points?
I need the cliff notes as to which headphones I should skip/check out!

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 12
What type of music do you like? While there are some good all arounders out now, some of the new cans do better with certain genere.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
What type of music do you like? While there are some good all arounders out now, some of the new cans do better with certain genere.

probably more bass heavy things in general... but I listen to everything, so dont even go by that - just looking for something very well rounded and has excellent soundstage and detail

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 12
Well rounded with decent bass, I would go with LCD-2, and T1 for open cans or LA7000 for closed cans. All of them are good all rounders with good bass and decent soundstage.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 12
LCD-2s have pretty good bass.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'd say your best bet would be to do some reading.

If you look on the right side though where it says "What Users Want" those 3 headphones are the current top dogs, correct me if I'm wrong.

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 12
A quick list would be:

dynamics
Sennheiser HD800
Beyerdynamic T1
Denon D7000
Ultrasone Edition 8
Grado GS1000
Grado PS1000
JVC DX1000
Audio Technica W5000

orthodynamics
Hifiman HE-5LE
Hifiman HE-6 (upcoming)
Audeze LCD2

eletrostats
Heaudio Jade
STAX SR-007 MK2

don't even ask about amps.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Just get a HD-800 and ignore the rest of them.
biggrin.gif

I think there's a meet coming up shortly in NYC. I'd highly recommend attending - there's no way to sort through all the new models without a listen.

Do you still have the models you listed? Nice collection!

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 12
LCD-2

Bass is deep and un-exaggerated, beautiful mids, and very smooth and gentle treble.

HD800

Very, slightly lean in mid and upper bass and not a lot of sub bass.  Beautiful mids as well, and a slight spike in the treble.  It has amazing soundstaging though, definitely its strength.

T1

Very slight mid and upper bass exaggeration, and a bit more of a treble spike than the HD800s.  The upper mids and lower treble sounded un-natural to me, but most other people disagree with me on that.  Maybe it was bad synergy.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
 I haven't been on this site in years (literally), but about seven years ago I was a very active memeber of this site! I've owned the r10, l3000, several stax models, majority of the highest end grados (ps1,hp-1,rs-1,alessendro's) and tried pretty much everything that was at the time a major headliner at the time (he90, omega I  and II).

Anyway looking to set up a little system for my home and although I don't really know what the amp/source will be yet- i've always liked to build things around the headphones rather then much of anything else.

I see a lot of high end headphones have come out, hd800, e8, grado has the their new 1000... to be honest I'm sort of lost and could you some advice hahaa! Are any of these clear cut better headphones then what I have owned? Or merely rivals at cheaper price points?
I need the cliff notes as to which headphones I should skip/check out!

Just grab another R10 and go back under the rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back