Because Society Doesn't Allow It
Jul 14, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #46 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tell them that you have aids and you have to wear plugs becuase aids makes your ears more sensitive. then punch them in the face.

confused.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #47 of 75
Believe me, coming from someone who has damaged his hearing through excessive noise levels - better safe than sorry. The ridicule you get is temporary, but the hearing damage is permanent. Don't **** it up. If I had the option to rewind time and get myself to stop my insane antics earlier on in life, I wouldn't hesitate to do so, but it's too late now.

Still, if you're that worried, I'd suggest you get a decibel meter and check out a lot of the environments that you're normally worried about, then consult a few hearing damage/volume level charts and see if you're in any danger. 85dB may seem high, but you're only at reasonable risk if you're exposed to it for 8 hours or more, so you probably will find that you don't have to wear hearing protection in quite as many situations.

I use my ES2 for earplug purposes in a lot of locations now, whether they be bars or clubs or just general gatherings where a lot of loud music is present. But, when there is no hearing danger, I prefer not to wear them due to the anti-social aspect of it.

Also, invest in custom-molded earplugs. They're much more comfortable. I'd say invest in custom-molded IEMs too, as they sound much better than universal-fit ones as well, but that's just the evil head-fi'er in me talking
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #48 of 75
As a side note I find that very loud live music sounds much better when wearing eraplugs.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #49 of 75
Do what you want to do, and do not care what other people are saying.
Instead of growing your hair, another solution would be to use this wig with your earplugs for the times you need them, problem solved.

Mullet_Costume.jpg

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do what you want to do, and do not care what other people are saying.
Instead of growing your hair, another solution would be to use this wig with your earplugs for the times you need them, problem solved.

Mullet_Costume.jpg

Lovely
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #52 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High school is really just a process. You'll make many worthwhile friends in college that will stick unlike hs, partly because people tend to mature a bit. Which college are you going to?

Right on - but as OP says, community college won't be too helpful in this either...because guess where the 'morons' go, hah. Unless you are capable of demonstrating unnecessarily high intelligence to the people around you and convince them that the earplugs are good for you and increase your lifespan...

Thanks for the thread though, you got me thinking. I am starting to consider dropping $200 on buying a pair of ER-25s in order to deal with noise which is generally very annoying to me wherever I go...

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #53 of 75
although i agree with the hearing, spicy food does not destroy your palate. people in india for example have been eating "spicy" food as you like to call it for thousands of years, and we are fine. Spicy food is good for you, is nice to eat, and unless done a lot regularly, has no bad affects.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #54 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although i agree with the hearing, spicy food does not destroy your palate. people in india for example have been eating "spicy" food as you like to call it for thousands of years, and we are fine. Spicy food is good for you, is nice to eat, and unless done a lot regularly, has no bad affects.

Off-topic: Depends on the spicing we are talking about - but it depends more on how and with what it is spiced rather than just the strength. Some peppers when added to the dish turn it into a firey nightmare (thats how I used to think of very spicy food_, but my girlfriend (she is from Thailand) has shown to me that you can have extremely hot foods (I'd sweat from a spoon of this stuff...), but you can still taste the dish very clearly.

That and actually spices have a drug-like effect on you, especially if you are not used to them. Can of salsa and chips over a movie can make you sleepier than passive voice in a biology paper.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #55 of 75
I am sort of afraid of the same thing. I'm in college now and I just bought some er-20s because I've been going to alot of concerts and they are so loud, the last one was actually physically painful to listen to and it's just unnecessary. I would understand a metal band or something, but I saw Spoon. Good band but just not one that needs to be THAT damn loud. Maybe people will give us weird looks but if we like music now and we're young, then we have alot ahead of us and I don't want to minimize it now. Remember, everyone you see at a concert is a hipster tool. Everyone in marching band is...well I mean they're in marching band...

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #56 of 75
I've seen much of the same attitude from my friends when I started using plugs in loud places. They got used to it after a while. If the ignorant smack-talk really bothers you, you can get personal molds, they are more discreet (I just settled for clear ER-20s). However, do use them whenever you feel you need them. Your ears. Your decision.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and become an audiologist. Or a dermatologist, also a very promising field for the next couple of decades. Too late for that for me. Never too late to get into selling hearing-aids and cosmetic laser equipment though.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #57 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off-topic: Depends on the spicing we are talking about - but it depends more on how and with what it is spiced rather than just the strength. Some peppers when added to the dish turn it into a firey nightmare (thats how I used to think of very spicy food_, but my girlfriend (she is from Thailand) has shown to me that you can have extremely hot foods (I'd sweat from a spoon of this stuff...), but you can still taste the dish very clearly.

That and actually spices have a drug-like effect on you, especially if you are not used to them. Can of salsa and chips over a movie can make you sleepier than passive voice in a biology paper.

noo, its from the original post, when he was talking about spicy food. And nothing can make you more sleepy than biology. nothing.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #58 of 75
I'm 16 and in high school as well. You should choose your friends wisely. I can't say I've gone through the same thing as you have, but I could honestly care less about what other people think. Honestly, if I counted how many "close friends" I have, I could count a handful only. If you think about it, in a year or two, the people that avoid you or ridicule you will completely forget the little things, everyone has bigger problems to focus on. Even if they go into college with you and join the same things, they should get used to it by then, if not, then they're the ones with issues.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #59 of 75
Ignore the HS morons. A year or two after HS is over, you may only know one or two of them anyway, and the rest will settle into the dust of the earth.

I cant believe people are so stupid about freeking ear plugs.
My friends comment to me at clubs and Jazz/Blues bars too, when were watching loud shows. I have Musicians ear plugs and really the loud music sounds better with them on. They wont go as far as making fun of me to the extent that people bother you though, because they know me well enough and respect me.

Youll find better friends, so just ignore them. Make friends with some local musicians and head-fi'ers.

Most people that make fun of others do so because theyre insecure about themselves, and lowering someone else and getting a following of people to agree and make fun also, somehow increases their **** size and makes them a real man (mentally).

Youre cooler than you think you are, and smarter than them.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #60 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like twisting words..
I'd say..
Ah, but you see. Who defined manliness? No one has an exact definition of manliness, true? According to my own definition, to be manly is to not look stupid in front of girls. Won't you agree? And if I didn't wear earplugs for (whatever situation), that'll look stupid because (whatever situation) damages my hearing. Damaging your own hearing is stupid. Thus, to not look stupid, wear earplugs. (Philosophical response)

Ngeaha. I love playing with words. Or you could just say..
At least I'm not stupid to not wear earplugs. (High school response)

Just ignore them (mature response)

No comment (Can't be bothered with their blablabla yadadada response)

I agree. Being a 'man' is about taking care of yourself and being responsible. Hearing is included in this. You are being responsible and taking care of your hearing. Protecting your hearing is just as important as anything else. Just like jumping off a roof is stupid so is not wearing hearing protection when necessary or not wearing goggles when necessary.

And that's the nice part about plugs/IEMs. Just pop them in and ignore what the ******** are saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back