Because Society Doesn't Allow It
Jul 14, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #61 of 75
IMHO, it's probably more of an issue of deciding realistically when is the proper time to wear the earplugs when it comes to getting hassled by peers. I agree with others when it comes to "do whatever you want and don't let others opinions get to you", but there probably exists an equlibrium between the need for the plugs and the mockings of others.

In overly loud situations yes it's probably a good idea to have them, concerts, band, loud parties and sporting events etc..

but in day to day situations of average loudness you might be making yourself a target of abuse for no reason.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #63 of 75
Just say "sorry, I can't hear you, I have plugs in my ears" really loudly to anyone trying to put you down for using them, hehe.

I went to a rock concert and it was unbelievably loud. Luckily I had brought some plugs just in case, after putting them in I could actually understand the lyrics and enjoy the music, before that it was just noise.

How did all these people much closer to the stage without any hearing protection manage to stay sane? No idea and I don't plan on finding it out myself. Ear plugs every time from now on.

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #64 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4nder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to a rock concert and it was unbelievably loud. Luckily I had brought some plugs just in case, after putting them in I could actually understand the lyrics and enjoy the music, before that it was just noise.

Hah, ya. Last time I was at a metal concert music was much more enjoyable from the back rather than the middle.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #65 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, it's probably more of an issue of deciding realistically when is the proper time to wear the earplugs when it comes to getting hassled by peers. I agree with others when it comes to "do whatever you want and don't let others opinions get to you", but there probably exists an equlibrium between the need for the plugs and the mockings of others.

In overly loud situations yes it's probably a good idea to have them, concerts, band, loud parties and sporting events etc..

but in day to day situations of average loudness you might be making yourself a target of abuse for no reason.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear...

I only wear my earplugs in extremely loud situations. That is all.

It is when I break out my plugs when I get into an extremely loud situation that people look at me weird. I don't wear my earplugs when I don't need to.

EDIT: And as a musician, I get into excessively loud situations very often.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #66 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear...

I only wear my earplugs in extremely loud situations. That is all.

It is when I break out my plugs when I get into an extremely loud situation that people look at me weird. I don't wear my earplugs when I don't need to.

EDIT: And as a musician, I get into excessively loud situations very often.

I think that clears it up. But that REALLY doesn't make sense. Why do they think its weird to put on earplugs in a noisy situation? That's when it might be good to follow the advice of an earlier poster about carrying a few extra pairs. Offer some plugs to them and maybe they'll understand and see the light about wearing earplugs.

I know if I'm around loud noise and then I put on plugs it's like "holy s***!! that's so much better". Maybe they'll be the same.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #67 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that clears it up. But that REALLY doesn't make sense. Why do they think its weird to put on earplugs in a noisy situation? That's when it might be good to follow the advice of an earlier poster about carrying a few extra pairs. Offer some plugs to them and maybe they'll understand and see the light about wearing earplugs.

I know if I'm around loud noise and then I put on plugs it's like "holy s***!! that's so much better". Maybe they'll be the same.

If you go to a metal concert (at least the ones I've been to) and offer ear plugs to people, you're likely to get an express trip to the floor of the pit. Why that happens is a different topic, but it comes down to machismo.

Whole point being, though, screw what other people think. You can fit in with the crowd now and fit in with the crowd in 10 years when they're dealing with the end result of what they failed to protect against (whatever that might be, case-dependent), or you can stick out now and stick out later, insofar as you don't have to deal with the problems everyone else does.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #68 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

absurdest response?
has anybody suggested maybe some in ear canal headphones? they can seal the sound from outside pretty well and do not look as bad. also listen to music in between conversing with people.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #69 of 75
Well as a pilot I spend alot of time in the cockpit of airplanes, and as everyone who has ever flown knows, they produce quite some noise. But to be able to communicate correctly (RT), and be able to hear the frequencies out, we have to overcome this noise, thus turning up the volume of the headsets or speakers. Alot of pilots lose their hearing for the lower frequencies at earlier ages than normal, and after the age of 30 we get a hearing check every year.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #70 of 75
The bottom line here is: the OP is right and the s***heads that give him a hard time are wrong. And if they keep up their stupid behavior, they'll also be sorry. Sorry when they're in their 30s or 40s and wearing hearing aids(or is that not considered "manly"?). I guess then they'll think constantly shouting "WHAT" is manly.

Screw those morons and their ridiculous opinion of "men". Personally I wouldn't consider stupidity manly. What you(OP) are doing is manly. Taking care of your hearing and health. Being responsible.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #72 of 75
Hey OP I have this advice for you,

I am 16 as well, and what I have learned is that if you are yourself and you are PROUD of it, you will not catch any crap for it.

Last year I wore my HD485 through the school hallways, LOL. I am friends with lots of people and got some funny looks, but I just shot them back a big smile and continued on normally.

Before I knew it, people were asking to try on my headphones.

Now, here's the twist:

Why would you want to be friends with somebody who constantly has light-reflective earplugs in their ears?

edit: i saw your post that you only where them when necessary. if this is the case then i dont see why this is even a problem. it only matters to you because you let it get to you. just calmly tell them that you want to protect your hearing.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #73 of 75
I don't give a **** about how most people view me. I have learned to trust my judgment and instincts, and that has made me successful in life. So if some idiot thinks I look like a loser for wearing earplugs, it doesn't bother me.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if some idiot thinks I look like a loser for wearing earplugs, it doesn't bother me.

Just don't wear them at your job working at Bose.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #75 of 75
Seems like the OP is a little paranoid about his hearing. As long as you aren't going to a rock concert every night your ears will be able to heal themselves in between each exposure to loud noises.

As a 16 year old too, I can't see myself putting in earplugs every time there was a loud noise. It makes you seem anti-social, and from your post it would seem that you very well may be.

Just leave the earplugs out (granted you aren't at a shooting range or something along those lines) and go enjoy yourself.

And if you still insist on using earplugs, talk with the people that have such a problem with it and explain to them why you are using them. Don't be afraid of talking to people.

You may also want to check into more discrete earplugs. Like these: EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defenders®- EP3 from SureFire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back