Because Society Doesn't Allow It
Jul 14, 2008 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

vYu223

500+ Head-Fier
I've always been a short-haired guy. When I found head-fi, got into audio, and eventually found out about hearing-protection, I began to wear Etymotic ER-20 earplugs whenever I found necessary - that is, during marching band, jazz band, and symphonic band at school. Or even when there was really loud music (coming from speakers) playing. My hearing got more acute, and I could hear more of the nuances in everyday sound than I used to.

However, there was just one thing. People hated it. Before I began to wear earplugs, sometimes I would have to ask people to repeat something they said because either I did not hear it clearly, or because they mumbled. After I began to wear earplugs, they found something to blame for my asking of them to repeat themselves.

They blamed my earplugs. They made fun of me for wearing them, and said things along the lines of: "Why are you wearing earplugs? Be a man." "Are you wearing earplugs? You're weak." Members of both genders would say things like this. I really don't understand why people associate destroying one's hearing for life with manliness. And I also don't understand why people associate being able to eat excessively spicy foods as manliness. Excessive spiciness destroys your palette, thereby disabling your ability to taste the fine nuances in good food! I mean, out of mild, medium, and hot, I can take hot spiciness, but I usually ask for mild because I actually want to taste the actual food, not have spiciness smother everything. But I digress... A lot...

The earplugs sticked out. And although they're clear, they reflect light, and people can see them clearly. For a split-second I thought of wearing a hooded sweatshirt, but I remembered that I hate hoodies for their restriction of one's peripheral view. Also, I had to take them off from time to time, so people would see my earplugs anyway

So I've done it. I've waited since November of 2007 to this day to grow out my hair long enough for it to conceal my ears. There are many consequences for doing this. The heat. The sweat. Summer. More breakouts on my face. I hate the feeling of hair in my eyes, on my temples, and on my ears. I need to take showers more often. But I'm doing this so that I wouldn't be mocked by society. Does my difference threaten people's safety and/or beliefs? Or reputation?

Since November to now, I haven't been wearing my earplugs because they would show. That means that I was being exposed to loud noises, so now I can consistently hear louder ringing in my ears when it is silent. Thanks, society.

What are your opinions on this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post; sorry that it is so long.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 75
at my work we have a huge air cannon that produces a bang over 100db and we often give tours of our facility to high school students. We always warn them that it is going to be very loud and that they need to plug there ears. Most kids just stick there fingers in their ears, but there are always a few kids who think they are tough and don't block there ears. When the cannon fires you can always tell they wished they had blocked em. Its strange how blocking your ears is considered a weakness to today's youth. There is definitely not enough awareness about hearing damage.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 75
Yeah, sadly society runs off of how much pain one can handle to show their face value to impress.

I wore the exact same earplugs during my last two years of marching band, and when I was standing right next to the gong, and in front of the cymbals, being able to block most of that noise out was a godsend.

But as for public, it's all about striking a balance of when popping them in would be most appropriate. If you're just walking by a noisy construction site, just bare it. But if you know you're going to be forced to be at a location with loud noise, just put it in. But if you know people are going to want to talk to you, again, just bear it. Remember, these days it's all about being selfish, and wanting to be heard by anybody at anytime.
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 75
Just wear the earplugs. You don't have to grow your hair out or make excuses.

Keep an extra pair or two of foam cheapies in your pocket. If anyone comments on them, offer them a pair. That would probably shut them up and you'd come off as nice.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 75
I'm sure all the naysayers will get really manly hearing aids when they're 45. Forget cowardly long hair, manliness is scoffing at them and doing what you damn well please.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 75
Just who are these "people" and why do you give "them" so much power over you.

Cut them out of your life like the toxic malignancy they are. Bleh.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure all the naysayers will get really manly hearing aids when they're 45. Forget cowardly long hair, manliness is scoffing at them and doing what you damn well please.

Bingo.
cool.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just who are these "people" and why do you give "them" so much power over you.

Cut them out of your life like the toxic malignancy they are. Bleh.

Sounds like he's in high school? Anyways, don't let what others say get to you.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 75
Great post. I feel your pain, my girlfriend wouldn't let me wear earplugs at a concert we went too... boy I wish I had. In the end just do what makes you happier. Screw society.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 75
Why should you care about what they have to say to you? Are any of them your true friends? If so, then they obviously ain't worth it. Don't be a conformist!

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great post. I feel your pain, my girlfriend wouldn't let me wear earplugs at a concert we went too... boy I wish I had. In the end just do what makes you happier. Screw society.

You have bigger problems than protecting your hearing, apparently.

Wearing earplugs is way cooler than not doing so. Do people think it's cool to slice their wrists open? Is that manly? Surely not! Not protecting your ears is self-mutilation.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 75
My other big hobby is shooting. I have seen idiots at the range once in a while without hearing protection, and have on occasion offered them earplugs and have had them refused. Stupidity of the worst sort.

Who gives a damn what people think is "cool"? Take it from an uncool old fart with tinnitus from too many unprotected bangs while in the military, wear protection. I wear earplugs formed to my ear canals plus ear muffs these days. To hell with what others think, it's your hearing at stake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back