Beats Studio Review
Oct 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Boombastic88

Head-Fier
So I found out a kid at my school owned the Beats by Dre Studio headphones. I had tried them at Best Buy with the Black Eyed Peas test song and didn't like them but I asked him to bring them in so I could try them with my own music. I didn't get much time with the Studios and it was at lunch but I think I had enough time to come to a conclusion about what I thought of them. Let's start off with the noise cancelling feature on the Beats. To put it plainly, it sucks majorly. My Tours cancel just as much, if not more noise than the Studios do(and yes the batteries were new). Not only does this feature not work, but it takes away from the sound quality too. If I were Monster Cable, I would take out this feature completely and maybe redesign the cups to have more passive isolation, but that's just me(and not to mention the batteries don't last very long). So one question people sometimes ask is: "Do the Studios leak sound?" The answer is yes, they do. If your music is turned up more than halfway, then it's like having two little speakers facing outward off your head. So if you don't want people to hear what your listening to, then don't buy the Studios. I have looked up a lot of reviews on the Studios and I heard a lot of people say that they felt cheap and plasticy. I didn't find this true at all. The headphones had a nice weight to them and didn't feel cheap by any means. The headband adjusted nicely and stayed in place and fit and finish was very good as well. Not only are they built well, but these headphones look like 300 bucks. These are some of the sexiest cans I have ever seen. The glossy white color is amazing and the red and silver accents just make these headphones beautiful. And the brushed aluminum Beats logos are just icing on the cake. There is no doubt that when it comes to looks, the Beats easily beat(pun intended) every other headphone out there. Another thing I liked about the Beats was the comfort. The faux leather pads have a lot of cushion and the head band is padded as well, making these headphones very very comfortable with not much pinching at all. So as with all every headphone, the most important aspect is the sound. And for $300, I felt the Studios were way under par. Soundstage as well as detail was good.The bass on the Studios was actually pretty amazing.It was very well defined with a lot of impact and deepness. Though slightly loose, the bass was the best part of the Studios' sound. The mids and highs, however, were not impressive. The V shaped curve in the headphones' sound made the mids very recessed and the upper highs overexaggerated. The headphones didn't sound BAD, but they were definitely not 300 dollars worth and overall hurt to listen to at higher volumes. The interesting thing is that every once in awhile, you will come across a rap song that sounds like it is just made specifically made for these headphones. When you find a song like this, the Studios sound quite amazing. So I hope this review was helpful. Overall, I would give the Studios a 6 out of 10 consdering the $300 price point.

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I was actually astonished that the studios were supra-aurals.  I would have thought the solos would be supra-aurals and sutios as circumaural, but they're both on-ear.  No good in my book. :frowning2:

They have a very visceral and strong mid-bass, but their sub-bass is actually pretty weak compared to the likes of the M50 and D2000.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 5
They look like $300 but they don't feel like $300. The plastic is glossy and feels cheap and flimsy. I have no problem with plastic products, but it had better be tough stuff, like in ThinkPads or my Ultrasones.

I'll add my own two cents about the Studios though. The one thing that I remember the most about the sound - from auditioning them in Best Buy, that is - is the complete lack of soundstage/imaging. It was just completely lifeless and two-dimensional, even compared to IEMs.

I'm really surprised at the disparity between Monster's headphone and IEM lines. I suspect they are run by completely different people, since Monster's IEMs actually sound good and aren't marketed as aggressively as the Beats headphones.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 5

And to think for about 50 bucks more, you can get some really nice cans, like the HD650 which I love!

Quote:
They look like $300 but they don't feel like $300. The plastic is glossy and feels cheap and flimsy. I have no problem with plastic products, but it had better be tough stuff, like in ThinkPads or my Ultrasones.
I'll add my own two cents about the Studios though. The one thing that I remember the most about the sound - from auditioning them in Best Buy, that is - is the complete lack of soundstage/imaging. It was just completely lifeless and two-dimensional, even compared to IEMs.
I'm really surprised at the disparity between Monster's headphone and IEM lines. I suspect they are run by completely different people, since Monster's IEMs actually sound good and aren't marketed as aggressively as the Beats headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back