Beats Pro Headphones by Dr. Dre review by Tom Martin of Playback Magazine
Jan 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus

http://www.avguide.com/review/beats-pro-headphones-dr-dre-monster-playback-39

I visited my local Best Buy store and they had these headphones available for audition within a cloistered store environment. I was intrigued by them because a former classmate of mine at New Jersey Institute of Technology owned a pair in black and he brought his headphones to class every time. The construction quality is high with a nearly all metal body and a tangle free headphone cord. When I donned on a pair, they felt heavy, but comfortable for extended listening sessions. The sound quality is the antithesis of what I am used to. They are bass heavy sounding headphones, but the midrange and treble regions are smooth and clear. I could not make out the highest octaves because the sample music and noisy environment prohibited it. Compared to my Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO and Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" earphones and headphones, these are no match for accuracy and tonal balance. However, they are a fun pair of headphones to listen to for an extended jam session. They are also built to pack away in a backpack, suitcase, luggage, or messenger bag without too much concern about durability or portability for full sized, closed, headphones.

I am interested in these Beats Pro by Dr. Dre headphones because they would add fun and a punchy kick to rock, hip hop, and popular music genres. I may decide to acquire a pair later on as this new year progresses onward. They would be the least expensive headphones in my inventory which is a good thing.

Does anyone else here own a pair? What are your opinions from fellow owners?

Thank you.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 14
Even though Beats are looked down upon here, I would like to see some opinions on the Pros. I like the build quality, but I am more interested in the bass 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 14
Any1 seen any frequency response curve yet for Beats Pro?

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 14
I listened to them at best buy too and I was not impressed at all. my q40s were better in every aspect, imo. I think a pair of q40s, m50s, or even beyer dt770s would be better. even as a beater pair

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 14
To the OP,

If you have listened to them and you like the sound why do you need anyone's opinion?

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 14

^ reminds me of the robot street performer from eurotrip. ah ah ah, ah ah ah

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 14
So, back to the discussion at hand.

I am auditioning the Beats Pro by Dr. Dre from Monster and I have to say that they are a good pair of headphones when paired with a high quality reference system. The bass is powerful, yet it is well articulated, textured, and snappy. There is a similar amount of bass produced by the Beats Pro by Dr. Dre and Monster as compared to the Grado PS-1000 headphones which I auditioned in my home two weeks ago although the latter and much more expensive pair of headphones by Grado Labs produce a higher volume to the overall sound due to the open air design. The Beats Pro by Dr. Dre from Monster have clear, detailed, and a neutral midrange, but it is not nearly as transparent as my Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO or Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones or the Grado PS-1000 which have a very rich, warm, and higher resolution midrange. The trebles are rolled off especially in reproducing high hats, but they do sound smooth and clear with no peakiness like the Grado PS-1000. Dynamics are another strong suit for the Beats Pro by Dr. Dre from Monster. These are quick sounding headphones that can transition from quiet passages in the music to louder and more energetic movements with firmness in control, speed, and good resolution although they are not the last word in this specific department. I have to agree with Tom Martin in his review of the same headphones by writing that they are a different pair of headphones for a different audience say deejays, music enthusiasts, non-audiophiles, and the general public. I do not consider these headphones to be accurate enough for monitoring or studio reference work because they lack the balance and resolution along with the comfort level for very long term extended listening sessions. They clamp down firmly on my head and there is a snug fit. The ear pads are comfortable and the head cushion is comfortable too. The styling is distinct especially with the large red B symbol on the ear cups. I would have to say that the black looks better than the white version of the same version of these headphones, but that is just a personal choice.

For rock, soul, funk, rap, hip-hop, and modern jazz, these headphones are superlative in communicating the essence of the music to the listener with few flaws as I mentioned in my previous paragraph. They are a bit pricey at $400 - $450 USD depending on where you buy them, but the styling, comfort level, and sound performance are justified only if you are searching for a pair of closed headphones designed for the mainstream audience. Audiophiles need not apply for these headphones as the Grado SR-325i or Sennheiser HD-650 will trounce these headphones in almost every way except for deep bass reproduction and slam effect.

I plan to purchase my own pair of Beats Pro by Dr. Dre from Monster Audio for my 34th birthday on April 17th, 2011. They are affordable, easy to carry, stylish, and slamming (literally) for the dough. I would not sell them to anyone else just like my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones. All in all, it was a worthwhile risk to audition these Beats Pro by Dr. Dre and Monster Audio headphones. If I had dissed them for being too over hyped, then I would have missed out on a good opportunity to audition an otherwise good pair of headphones at an affordable price.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 14
I gave them a listen at best buy when I was shopping, I actually felt the bass was sloppy, uncontrolled and WAY overbearing and I love bass *LOL* The bass also caused the midrange to sound odd as it was overpowering the actual music. Not a set of cans I would own. The imbalance just made them hard to enjoy. Was like someone hid a garbage 3 band EQ inside them and cranked the bass to the top, left the midrange neutral and raised treble 2-3db with no clue as to what the Q was or frequency *LOL*

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 14
You should try to audition them in a quieter listening environment with the best quality stereo components to give them a fair shake. In this environment, they are competitive with midrange level headphones from high end audio manufacturers. The source material and source component play a major factor in determining the final sound quality of any pair of headphones in my experience. Add the right headphone amplifier to the mix and it becomes a much more blissful listening experience.

The Beats Pro by Dr. Dre are extremely quiet headphones with an oily black background which gives them an awesome dynamic range as I alluded to in my earlier posts and Tom Martins noted in his professional review.

These are fun sounding headphones that were not designed for discriminating audiophiles. It is that difference that makes them so appealing to me.

May 13, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 14
It's funny for me to find here a thread about the headphones I still own (they are still on my shelf, not used since a long while) and which I liked pretty much a few years ago. I bought them for the promised bass response and the build quality. Well, I was only able to base my opinions on reviews or pictures on-line because there was no chance to borrow them.
Even though the sound was satisfying to me back then and I very much appreciated the loosly-attached jack cable in either of the ear-cups (I was using them while commuting, and there were several cases when someone just pulled the cable unintentionally without damaging the cable or pulling headphones off of my head just because of this nice feature).
Over time, however, I noticed that the supposed to be real leather on the headband and on ear-cups started to peel off which made them looking ugly. I tried to buy official replacements but in vain. The only way I was able to return them to the original shape was to buy a used pair with damaged electronics and replace the "leather" parts.
Sound-wise they are bass-impressive but the quality of it was much worse than from cans like Campfire Audio Cascade. Once I bought Cascade I never returned to Beats.
I recently discovered Final Audio D8000 Pro which proved to be the end-game for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back