beats mixr vs audio technica m-50s?????
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ratking20

New Head-Fier
anyone tried both of these???????
i listen to house,hip hop and rock music
ive been hearing good things about the beats mixr's despite everyone hating all beats headphones. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 36
+1 on the m50's. Only real problem with them for me has been prolonged listening can become uncomfortable. Other than that they are very nice!

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 36
People on this forum hate on the Beats line for a reason. The M50s all the way. I'd at very least wait for the Beats to get a thumbs up from a respected audio reviewer.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 36

Quote:
anyone tried both of these???????
i listen to house,hip hop and rock music
ive been hearing good things about the beats mixr's despite everyone hating all beats headphones. 

Before I get into this let me first get my shield up for protection.

Yesterday I spent about an hour at Best Buy demoing the MIXRs and actually came away very impressed.  I actually feel that the Beats Line finally has a winner.  This headphone actually has detail and clarity, while still maintaining a deep, punchy bass.  I listened to a combination of Rock, Hip-Hop, R&B, Rock, Country, Jazz, and some Instrumental Tracks and the MIXRs faired very well across the board.  Combine this with the build quality, looks, portability, and swiveling ear cups for us professional musicans and DJs, and I actually wouldn't have a problem recommending this headphone.  Now I know many audiophile enthusiasts would never recommend a Beats Headphone on principal alone, I myself who has no bias would do so with confidence.  The MIXRs are basically the smaller brother of the Beats Pros with slightly less bass in exchange for more Treble and detail and a much cheaper price tag.

Now in comparison with the M50, I say it depends on what you are looking for.  If you will primarily be using these for at home use, I say save the money and get the M50s.  While I prefer the sound quality of the MIXRs, I don't think it's a $100 difference worth.  Now if you are looking for on the go use as well, the $100 may be worth it to you.  Despite what many may feel, I myself not only look for sound quality in my portable headphones, but looks as well.  I just don't care to carry around large, helicopter looking headphones when I'm on the go. 

In conclusion, I personally prefer the MIXRs over the M50s due to slightly better clarity and detail, bigger sound stage, and portablility when it comes to what I look for in portable full size headphones.  When you look at the class of headphones that the MIXRs are up against, the V-Moda M80s, Senns HD25-1 II, B&W P5s, and the Soul by Ludacris SL150s, the MIXRs are actually the least overpriced Beats Headphone.  In my opinion the B&W P5s are far more overpriced.  To be honest, most portable full size headphones are overpriced.  With most you're paying for looks, Iphone Control cables, and cases.  I feel if people really aren't bias one way or the other they will see the MIXRs as the first real Beats contender.  Just like the SkullCandy Mix Masters, V-Moda M80s, and Soul by Ludacris SL150s, the MIXRs are the first Beats headphone that could possibly make an audiophile pay attention.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 36
+1 on previous review. Just go have a listen. It will most likely shock you. I haven't used my MTPC or SR225i since I picked them up. The Mixr are legitimate contenders with good looks and build quality. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 36
I own a pair of M50S, and got the time to audit a pair of MIXR at Best Buy the other day.

While I would agree that they were nicer than most of the Beats line, they were far behind the Beats Pro in the bass department, and clarity was only slightly better than the Beats Pro. Sound stage was almost non-existent, and mid was slightly recessed. They were a nice departure from the Beats line, but not enough that I would think they were any serious.

Compared to my M50S, they are more muffled, sound stage was not as wide or deep, high frequencies were not as clean, high mid was sibilant, mid was more recessed, and bass was lacking both serious punch and reverberation.

I would recommend them for someone who can't get anything but Beats headphones, but I sincerely don't think they measure up to the M50 at all, or many other headphones in the $100 price range. In fact, they sound very similar to my low-end ATH-FC700A. With the exception that the FC700A is clearer, has more instrument separation, and even more bass.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 36
If you have a Guitar Center near you, sometimes you can try out the M50 there. I have to throw my hat into the pro-M50 ring here from a brief audition. The MIXR is nicer than the Solos by far and edges out the Studios a bit, but it's nowhere near as clear as the M50. Both of them have very similar constricted soundstage.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:
i tried sam ash but they didnt carry the m50s. 
what exactly is soundstage and would i know the difference anyway since im not too knowledgeable in this area. 

How wide, tall, and vast the sound experience feels to you. An example might be the K70X series, which can make you feel like you're in a concert hall. Then, there are some headphones that will have the nauseating "thumping in your head" effect.
How big this effect is and how its perceived changes from person to person though.

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 36
I have never tried any beats model. But the mixr are very notorious for having comfort issues.

Personally, i just wouldnt like to support a behemoth audio company like beats that already has way more than enough funds to advertise their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back