Beats by dre Pro Indepth review
Jan 25, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #31 of 108

Quote:
I had a guy tell me that "even audiophiles say the Beats have flawless SQ", I asked him to expose these frauds.

Dear Lord, after everything I've gone through with those... things, that's practically a mortal offense 
mad.gif

Would you believe that some second-rate headphone dealer went out of his way to order a pair of Beats, and actually try and SELL the damn things to me? I'm a newbie head-fi'er, yes, but the mere fact that every single song I tried out just BLASTED my ears with bass, and that I had to struggle to understand lyrics was enough to tell me that these were mass-market junk.

Not that I'm saying that they're completely worthless. In point of fact, they were almost as good as the cans I happened to have along that time, albeit much louder. Did I mention that the 'phones I'd brought long then were Senn HD428s, which cost about a third the price of the Beats?

Wanna know what's really sad? My friends also got to try them out, and they said they were GREAT. Yeah, they can effectively deafen you, but that's about all they're good for. I'm sad to say that my friends are the type to be easily impressed by loud volumes; when it came around to my trying them on again, just to see whether they really were that bad, I almost jumped out of my skin. Jeez, I hate it when that happens.

If they'd been cheaper, then I'd quite understand their Skullcandy-esque performance (though I hear Skull's making some audiophile-grade cans now?), but considering they cost what they do, you'd have to pay me to get me to own a pair. I'd just sell them again, though 
wink_face.gif

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #35 of 108

Quote:
i'll say two good things about the beats is they look good and feel nice on your head

Rebuttal:
The first is a totally subjective statement. They're not so bad looking, yes, but what of Grado, Beyer, and the like? I personally LOVE the way they look (particularly the Grados), but I know a lot of people'll say that they look like the sort of thing my grandpa'd look back fondly on 
biggrin.gif

As to the second, I haven't got much else to say except that when I tried them on, they were fairly hard to keep on. The things were so bloody heavy that they kept slipping off :))

@headhog:
Oh, not that I'm trying to be rude. Pardon me if I appeared as such. I was just adding my two cents :/

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #37 of 108
Tried these yesterday at the local best buy and I must say they sounded quite horrible although I did find them somewhat comfortable (onl wore them for around 5 minutes so I can't say they'd be comfortable for longer periods.

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #38 of 108
wooaahh i'm really starting to be confused on these cans ....  i really need your advice here.. i'm planning to buy the Monster Beats Pro, i must say, i'm one of those who fall to the beats hype (forgive me for that)..  i don't know what to buy we don't have audio/electronic shops here in my country that has a lot of IEMs and headphones for demo.. so i don't know what to buy.. i wanted these cans because of durability issues.. plus they're easy to use.. just put them on then you're good to go.. IEMs, i just can't stand that i always have to clean my ears so that it won't slide outside my ears.. but i do really appreciate and like them.. unfortunately i had the diddy beats (sorry again) before i had the Shure SCL2.. i was really impressed on its clarity but the bass is so awful for me.. the mids were so warm so i really feel the music but it's the bass that got me turned off.. the diddy beats i was impressed at the beginning but upon reading reviews and topics here at headfi .. my ears started to crave for more.. the diddy beats don't excel as mentioned on a review in pcmag.. i started to realize that i can't seem to connect with my music ... i got turned off then and was selling it ever since... now i don't have the beats pro yet.. then i happen to read the review here.. but it seemed that it fell short to him at any typr of music.. i am some kinda audiophile but not that really audiophile... what i want is just a very good pair of IEM or Headphone and connect it to my ipod nano 4th gen.. that's all.. i don't intend to get an amp even though i know how good it is.. i just want it simple.. but now i don't know what to buy so i really need your advice .. i haven't tested and didn't have opportunities to listen to other IEMs and headphones because it wasn't available here in my country (sorry).. so your advices would really matter to me... before i was leaning to the Miles davis tribute but a friend of mine told me it has durability issues.. i don't wanna keep on sending them back to Monster coz' i don't have a lot of money to do so.. i want it because of the soft touch on the MIDS that made it colorful.. in that way i think i can connect to the song and enjoy for hours..

now, i'm leaning on the coppers.. i don't even know if i happen to be an analytical type when listenin.. i can't distinguish between analytical or detail... i want a headphone or IEM that has excitement to it like when you know the the song is about to go to the chorus you feel the temperature rising so the excitement's there.. (ex. Michelle Branch's Breathe, bridge going to chorus: "And I take it just a little bit, I, hold my breath and count to ten.. if i just... breathe...) something like that.

i like kinda heavy bass to... my main genre is R&B (chris b., eminem, flo rida, akon) i do listen to country music (taylor swift). i do listen to rock too.
what i liked on the beats pros is that they say it has a very good bass.. so it can really match to my genres.

i would really appreciate your comments and suggestions about what IEM or headphone to buy that the genres i listen to would give me satisfaction and would be really able to connect and feel the music. my budget is the price of beats Pro at amazon. $400. (my auntie living in the U.S. would grab it for me thru amazon).

no more miles davis can't handle its durability. coppers make me think if it would have bass that would make mee feel it when listenin to R&B..  and if Beats Pros are good for these type of genres.. shall be it. hope to hear a lot from you guys! a warm IEM or headphone might just for me i think.
thank you.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #39 of 108
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum because of this review and would like some help. I'm not ashamed to consider myself a noobie when it comes to headphones. I am not an audiophile but I am curious and would like to learn more. I have had the beats studios, pros, and tours and when I first heard the Studios I was blown away because they were the first headphones I ever purchased other than the standard ipod headphones that are packaged with every ipod/iphone. Now, I love music and want to experience the best possible listening experience that I can, and after reading this review and all of your responses I am considering restarting my headphone selection.
Instead of asking all of you what kind of headphones I should get, first, I want to know what I should be looking in a good pair of headphones: Omhs, Frequency, ect. also after some research, to drive some of these headphones would I need an external headphone amp or even another device instead of my iphone/laptop?
I hope I didn't start off to my first post with so many questions and I hope you guys welcome me here.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #40 of 108

Quote:
wooaahh i'm really starting to be confused on these cans ....  i really need your advice here.. i'm planning to buy the Monster Beats Pro, i must say, i'm one of those who fall to the beats hype (forgive me for that)..  i don't know what to buy we don't have audio/electronic shops here in my country that has a lot of IEMs and headphones for demo.. so i don't know what to buy.. i wanted these cans because of durability issues.. plus they're easy to use.. just put them on then you're good to go.. IEMs, i just can't stand that i always have to clean my ears so that it won't slide outside my ears.. but i do really appreciate and like them.. unfortunately i had the diddy beats (sorry again) before i had the Shure SCL2.. i was really impressed on its clarity but the bass is so awful for me.. the mids were so warm so i really feel the music but it's the bass that got me turned off.. the diddy beats i was impressed at the beginning but upon reading reviews and topics here at headfi .. my ears started to crave for more.. the diddy beats don't excel as mentioned on a review in pcmag.. i started to realize that i can't seem to connect with my music ... i got turned off then and was selling it ever since... now i don't have the beats pro yet.. then i happen to read the review here.. but it seemed that it fell short to him at any typr of music.. i am some kinda audiophile but not that really audiophile... what i want is just a very good pair of IEM or Headphone and connect it to my ipod nano 4th gen.. that's all.. i don't intend to get an amp even though i know how good it is.. i just want it simple.. but now i don't know what to buy so i really need your advice .. i haven't tested and didn't have opportunities to listen to other IEMs and headphones because it wasn't available here in my country (sorry).. so your advices would really matter to me... before i was leaning to the Miles davis tribute but a friend of mine told me it has durability issues.. i don't wanna keep on sending them back to Monster coz' i don't have a lot of money to do so.. i want it because of the soft touch on the MIDS that made it colorful.. in that way i think i can connect to the song and enjoy for hours..

now, i'm leaning on the coppers.. i don't even know if i happen to be an analytical type when listenin.. i can't distinguish between analytical or detail... i want a headphone or IEM that has excitement to it like when you know the the song is about to go to the chorus you feel the temperature rising so the excitement's there.. (ex. Michelle Branch's Breathe, bridge going to chorus: "And I take it just a little bit, I, hold my breath and count to ten.. if i just... breathe...) something like that.

i like kinda heavy bass to... my main genre is R&B (chris b., eminem, flo rida, akon) i do listen to country music (taylor swift). i do listen to rock too.
what i liked on the beats pros is that they say it has a very good bass.. so it can really match to my genres.

i would really appreciate your comments and suggestions about what IEM or headphone to buy that the genres i listen to would give me satisfaction and would be really able to connect and feel the music. my budget is the price of beats Pro at amazon. $400. (my auntie living in the U.S. would grab it for me thru amazon).

no more miles davis can't handle its durability. coppers make me think if it would have bass that would make mee feel it when listenin to R&B..  and if Beats Pros are good for these type of genres.. shall be it. hope to hear a lot from you guys! a warm IEM or headphone might just for me i think.
thank you.

Why don't you try the Ultrasone Pro 900? and its price same to the Beats Pro. I think it bang for buck more than the Beats Pro. (imo)

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303966460&sr=8-1

and check this thread out for some review from head-fi'er. 
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #41 of 108

Quote:
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum because of this review and would like some help. I'm not ashamed to consider myself a noobie when it comes to headphones. I am not an audiophile but I am curious and would like to learn more. I have had the beats studios, pros, and tours and when I first heard the Studios I was blown away because they were the first headphones I ever purchased other than the standard ipod headphones that are packaged with every ipod/iphone. Now, I love music and want to experience the best possible listening experience that I can, and after reading this review and all of your responses I am considering restarting my headphone selection.
Instead of asking all of you what kind of headphones I should get, first, I want to know what I should be looking in a good pair of headphones: Omhs, Frequency, ect. also after some research, to drive some of these headphones would I need an external headphone amp or even another device instead of my iphone/laptop?
I hope I didn't start off to my first post with so many questions and I hope you guys welcome me here.

Well, with the Pro you just got a $150 head start on your collection (in terms of Head-fi money). So, with that in mind you should go for a $200 recommendation here. But really, technical specifications can only tell how good a pair of headphones are. If you like the Studios, so be it. But there are numerous options even at a quarter of its price that as the same or even more SQ than them. Get some recommendations, go to the store and audition them, and see which ones suit you the best.

Oh, as a newcomer welcome, sorry about your wallet :)

And as a custom here on Head-fi, may I recommend the M50? Might as well give you a heads up before the hype gets to ya :3

May 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #42 of 108

Quote:

there is 2 different type of cans, neutral and fun sounding, fun cans are usually over emphasized in certain things, for example the beats headphones. these don't offer the true recording experience and try to make some recordings more fun then they are supposed to be. now neutral or flat as some call it is generally a flat frequency response in which you hear all frequency levels on the same level, though it is nearly impossible to find a 100% neutral headphone but neutral can be different to different people. do you want a fun sounding headphone or a neutral/flat sounding headphone true to the artist intended, also keep in mind depending on what you listen to will depend on what you prefer, generally rap and electronic fans like bass emphasized headphones. while jazz classical and sometimes metal/rock fans prefer neutral. anyways look around the forums to see whats available. and stay away from beats and bose at all costs. but then again you have already tried beats. practically anything at the $200 mark will be an improvement over the beats pros.

May 26, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #43 of 108

Quote:
Why don't you try the Ultrasone Pro 900? and its price same to the Beats Pro. I think it bang for buck more than the Beats Pro. (imo)

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303966460&sr=8-1

and check this thread out for some review from head-fi'er. 
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread

Hi thanks for the recommendation. I'm sorry I went for the Beats Pro and really loved them because of its fun sounding..
I reviewed the Ultrasone 900 but on the reviews it comes short on something (i forgot if is the recessed mids)
On the Beats Pro it has a meaty mids and very good highs for me and is easy to drive and really sounds good unamped though i haven't audition amps yet.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #44 of 108

I don't think that putting them on my ears, listening to music through them and making the conclusion that Beats are a POS is blindly stating they suck. I don't need a bunch of testing equipment to tell me they are crap. I have eyes and ears...that's all I need.

But I guess to the ones that need the "scientific" proof...well...here it is.

This logic would hold water only if most of the people who berate Beats with gusto have actually listened to the headphone via his/her own rig extensively; in other words, this logic doesn't hold a droplet of water.
Do you honestly think the majority of those who express scorn for the Beats Pro actually demoed the headphone extensively with his/her own rig? I doubt even a third of the people who so zealously criticize Beats owned/borrowed a pair, especially the Beats Pro as it's the newest addition to the Beats lineup. While the other 99% may echo the same sentiment as the OP's, most probably haven't taken any proper means to confirm their opinions. If you can't accept that, continue to believe in your paltry reasoning; I certainly won't stop you, but I sincerely hope this wasn't your idea of a rebuttal. You don't represent the other 99% of headfiers who concluded the same thing you did.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #45 of 108

Quote:

This logic would hold water only if most of the people who berate Beats with gusto have actually listened to the headphone via his/her own rig extensively; in other words, this logic doesn't hold a droplet of water.
Do you honestly think the majority of those who express scorn for the Beats Pro actually demoed the headphone extensively with his/her own rig? I doubt even a third of the people who so zealously criticize Beats owned/borrowed a pair, especially the Beats Pro as it's the newest addition to the Beats lineup. While the other 99% may echo the same sentiment as the OP's, most probably haven't taken any proper means to confirm their opinions. If you can't accept that, continue to believe in your paltry reasoning; I certainly won't stop you, but I sincerely hope this wasn't your idea of a rebuttal. You don't represent the other 99% of headfiers who concluded the same thing you did.

i agree. the beats sound pretty good with my ipod classic. i don't quite understand all the hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back