Beats by Dr. Dre Solo - ear cushions?
Jan 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 36
these are good looking headphones, which is most people wear headphones outside want them to be. So, we have to accept it. fellow headfiers. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:
IIRC, Beats, themselves, are decent, they just cost 3 to 4 times as much as they should, amirite?

If so, I wouldn't mind getting some Beats for free, just saying. After all, the only people you'd get flack from are audiophiles :p

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Solos cost £150, and my main headphones are the WeSC Alp Horn teamed up with a Fiio E5 amp. The headphones cost me £90, the amp was just over a tenner on eBay, and it sounds better than the Solos. I got to test out the Beats Studio headphones in HMV as well, and bizarrely, I think the Solo sounds better! It might just be because the Beats headphones mostly consist of cranking the bass up to mask the flaws in the rest of the sound. I prefer my Alp Horns, because they sound more natural. Also, teamed with the amp, they're loud as ***! Turn it up to the max, have the headphones around my neck, and I'm a walking speaker! :p

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #18 of 36

Quote:
Quote:
IIRC, Beats, themselves, are decent, they just cost 3 to 4 times as much as they should, amirite?

If so, I wouldn't mind getting some Beats for free, just saying. After all, the only people you'd get flack from are audiophiles :p

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Solos cost £150, and my main headphones are the WeSC Alp Horn teamed up with a Fiio E5 amp. The headphones cost me £90, the amp was just over a tenner on eBay, and it sounds better than the Solos. I got to test out the Beats Studio headphones in HMV as well, and bizarrely, I think the Solo sounds better! It might just be because the Beats headphones mostly consist of cranking the bass up to mask the flaws in the rest of the sound. I prefer my Alp Horns, because they sound more natural. Also, teamed with the amp, they're loud as ***! Turn it up to the max, have the headphones around my neck, and I'm a walking speaker! :p

have tried those alp horns at HMV several times, meh, not impressed at all.
although they are much cheaper than beats, still, 90 quid could get you something better.

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:
have tried those alp horns at HMV several times, meh, not impressed at all.
although they are much cheaper than beats, still, 90 quid could get you something better.

Yeah, they are a bit average on their own, but with the amp, they're much better. And yeah, you're right, I could get something better for £90, but I didn't really have much choice when I got them. They were an exchange for my previous pair before them, which were the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 vi, which failed on me after a few weeks (iHeadphones were kind enough to let me exchange the replacement pair I got from Logitech).

If the Alp Horns fail on me, I'll probably get the Shure SRH440s next, as I love the SRH240, but the cables were very flimsy on them, so the sound would go on one side after just a few months usage ( I went through at least three pairs of them. The SRH440 would be much better, as they've got a detachable cable, so much less chance of them going wrong. I used to own the Sennheiser HD 215s, and they had a detachable cable as well. They lasted over year for me without any problems. :) The only reason I got rid of them were because the they were a bit too bulky, even for my head. :p

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 36

Quote:
Quote:
Have Monster contacted you? If yes, what did they say?
I have lost one of my cushions =(

Oh yeah, I forgot to update this (sorry!)!

I got a reply from Monster (although the email said it was from "AMD Europe") on the 29th, saying they had a grey pair (the ones that they use on the white Solo HD headphones) that they'd be happy to send out, so I gave them my address, then the day after, they said they'd be sent out that day, and they arrived two days ago. :)

It turns out that the ear cushions are actually attached to a piece of plastic that twists and locks into the ear cup to keep it secure.

Im actually trying to contact monster to help me with the same problem, i have a missing cushion part myself. Ive been tryna contact them buy email since the 27th of Dec but i havent even gotten a single reply of any sort. Please what email address did you contact them with? or the AMD Europe email address if possible.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #21 of 36

Quote:
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Solos cost £150, and my main headphones are the WeSC Alp Horn teamed up with a Fiio E5 amp. The headphones cost me £90, the amp was just over a tenner on eBay, and it sounds better than the Solos.

Nice job comparing a headphone against a headphone + amp combo.   Very, very fair comparison there.

BTW, if you like SRH220 and are thinking of getting the SRH440, be sure to try the 440 out first. Personally I found the SRH220 sounds a lot better than the 440. The sound is cleaner and crisper with a more well-defined bass. The SRH440 sounded quite lazy and a bit veiled and muddy in comparison to my ears.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:
Im actually trying to contact monster to help me with the same problem, i have a missing cushion part myself. Ive been tryna contact them buy email since the 27th of Dec but i havent even gotten a single reply of any sort. Please what email address did you contact them with? or the AMD Europe email address if possible.

I used the support form on Monster Cable's page here: http://www.monstercable.com/service/default.asp

The email address they replied to me with is amdeurope@monstercable.com

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #24 of 36

Quote:
how long did it take to get a reply from monster and how many days before u got the cushion?

I can't remember how many days it took me to get a reply from Monster, but it was definitely a bit longer than usual (it was about four or five days), as it was during the Thanksgiving weekend. As for receiving the cushions, they sent them out on November 30th, and they arrived on December 10th, so
ten days in total, which isn't too bad. :)

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #26 of 36
I have the Monster Beats by Dr Dre Studio (powered) headphones.  The leather is flaking off of the ear cushions after around 18 months of use. (Anyone having these headphones would do well to put some conditioner on the leather before it disintegrates.)

Here's what I learned from a phone rep at Monster today.  There were two styles of ear cushion for this model.  The old style is replaceable -- it's removed by depressing and twisting counter-clockwise.  The new style is permanently attached and is not replaceable -- people lost a lot of ear cushions before the design change.  They have few or no replacement ear cushions left for the old style headphones, and there never will be replacement cushions for the permanently attached cushions.

Just thought I'd pass this along, since the various models of Beats headphones have different ear cushion design, so someone else's method for replacing them might not work for you.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #30 of 36

Quote:
how did you contact them? i have the same problem and need to contact them so any help would be useful! thanks

Just go onto their website, there's a CONTACT US bar, clickedy click it, and send them a nice e-mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back