Beats by Dr. Dre Solo - ear cushions?
Nov 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

MightyJordan

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I've got a pair of Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo headphones here. Now, I know pretty much every pair of headphones bearing Dr. Dre's name gets a kicking here on the forums, mostly saying they're a waste of money, and I agree with that, but I got these for free. :p (In case anyone is curious, my main pair of headphones is the WeSC Alp Horn)

The catch to them is that they only came with one ear cushion, so I'm wondering if there's anywhere that sells replacement ear cushions for them? I searched around earlier and had no luck. I ended up contacting Monster, asking them if I can buy a replacement pair from them, but they're currently on their Thanksgiving holidays, so they won't reply until tomorrow night, at least.

I'm willing to compromise as well. It doesn't have to be an "official" pair of ear cushions; basically just any pair that will properly fit onto the headphones. Preferably something slightly bigger than the standard ones as well, as I took the other one off, and we can't get it back on now, because it's such a tight fit!

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 36
Not sure, never seen replacement pads for them. 
confused.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 36
I'll post some pictures; they might help.

I've got the black one, but I posted the white pictures as well, as they're easier to see.

I also took some crude measurements of the ear cups to try and help. :p It might be able to help scout out replacement cushions from other headphones that'd fit these. (Just remember that they're estimates. They may be out by 0.1cm or so)

Width: 5.4cm

Height: 6.3cm

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 36

Quote:
Have Monster contacted you? If yes, what did they say?
I have lost one of my cushions =(

Oh yeah, I forgot to update this (sorry!)!

I got a reply from Monster (although the email said it was from "AMD Europe") on the 29th, saying they had a grey pair (the ones that they use on the white Solo HD headphones) that they'd be happy to send out, so I gave them my address, then the day after, they said they'd be sent out that day, and they arrived two days ago. :)

It turns out that the ear cushions are actually attached to a piece of plastic that twists and locks into the ear cup to keep it secure.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 36
If I was a cushion on a pair of beats and had to be subjected to that noise...I'd probably run away too. 

At least Monster took care of you though...so 
beerchug.gif
 for that.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 36

Quote:
If I was a cushion on a pair of beats and had to be subjected to that noise...I'd probably run away too.

Haha, you're right there!
jecklinsmile.gif
Honestly, after using them for at least half an hour, I am done with them. There's far too much bass, and the sound seems muffled. It's the same story on the Beats Solo HD as well. My WeSC Alp Horn is much better, and that cost £90, plus it sounds more natural. :)

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 36
At least there is a following for the beats and you can probably sell them for a decent amount on ebay and since it would be 100% profit...hey...you win.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
At least there is a following for the beats and you can probably sell them for a decent amount on ebay and since it would be 100% profit...hey...you win.

Actually, I decided to be generous, and give them to my dad, as he has no real pair of headphones. Plus, he's relearning the guitar (he even went out and bought a brand new Epiphone Les Paul, and an amp to go with it), so he could do with a pair of headphones for practicing without annoying anyone else.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:
Hey, how much did you have to pay for them replacements ?

Absolutely nothing. All I did was contact Monster support, say I needed a replacement pair (I even offered to pay if they wouldn't give them away for free), and when they did reply, all they said was "sure, just email your address and we'll get them sent out". They didn't even ask to see proof of purchase or anything! :)

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:

At least Monster took care of you though...so 
beerchug.gif
 for that.

Wow you're amzing.
Loved that analogy.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 36
IIRC, Beats, themselves, are decent, they just cost 3 to 4 times as much as they should, amirite?

If so, I wouldn't mind getting some Beats for free, just saying. After all, the only people you'd get flack from are audiophiles :p

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 36
Well it seems like all the Monster obsession is becoming even more evident on here.
Hate threads and What threads all subject the monsters as the king of discussion inadverdently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back