Beatles: Love
Dec 22, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #61 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great album to listen to before you go to bed; that is, if you don't want to go to bed.
tongue.gif

Good god yes - I seem to barely fall asleep JUST before Revolution comes on and it scares the crap out of me every single time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Da Beatles done been "Muzaked". Shame on you all.

Blah blah blah. Stick your nose up further, I can't see your brain quite yet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #62 of 84
Quote:

Da Beatles done been "Muzaked".

Whatever "Love" is, it is hardly "Musak."

Each time I listen to this album, I can't help but think that John Lennon would have approved. "Strawberry Fields Forever" was originally created by splicing three separate takes together and adjusting tape speed to match pitch and tempo. "Tomorrow Never Knows" was originally created by simultaneously running many tape loops and bringing them in and out of the mix. "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" was created by cutting a tape into pieces, throwing it up in to the air, and then randomly reassembling the pieces. "Love" does the same using Protools technology. Much of it works, some of it doesn't, but the result is a fascinating and engaging listening experience.

All in IMHO, of course.

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #63 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blah blah blah. Stick your nose up further, I can't see your brain quite yet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Whatever the duck that means.

I probably should have used an emoticon, I do believe most Beatles songs have been "Muzaked" at one time or another. Hey, once you've heard "Play That Funky Music" in an elevator it's downhill from there.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #64 of 84
Quote:

I do believe most Beatles songs have been "Muzaked" at one time or another.

Well, they have, but not on this particular album. The only song that comes out of the process with reduced impact is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", where the new string arrangement is on the lush side. Elsewhere, the songs still have (at least) the same guts and energy; moreover, this album does not make a point of selecting the easy-listening end of the Beatles' legacy.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #65 of 84
Quote:

Whatever the duck that means.

I probably should have used an emoticon, I do believe most Beatles songs have been "Muzaked" at one time or another. Hey, once you've heard "Play That Funky Music" in an elevator it's downhill from there.

It is indeed a long, downhill slope. And we can all thank Nirvana for that...thanks to Kurt Cobain, grunge basically made rock stars and listeners equal on a plane that was never meant to be even remotely level. That just opened the door to uniformity, conformity and muzak! Hell, even the Sex Pistols would've been muzaked if they'd been around in 1992. I agree with other sentiments here though, and Love is definitely not muzak

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #66 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hell, even the Sex Pistols would've been muzaked if they'd been around in 1992.

Lydon and McLaren probably would have facilitated the idea. Sex Pistols were a boy band, afterall.
blink.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #68 of 84
Listening to the cd now,I have always been a beatles fan(my favorite band)
seen them live at shea stadium in 1965(man I am old
tongue.gif
).

They did a great job on this CD.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #71 of 84
I'm not a particuarly big fan of the CD

It's not bad - it's the beatles after all, and all the songs are great. But I dont feel like any of the songs on the album are an improvement over the originals. If the originals were 10/10, then most of these are 8/10. 8/10 is still a real good score, but why go for the 8 when you can have the 10?

The album largely just sounds like cheap remakes of the originals. George Martin was an absolute master. Now he's pretty much deaf.

So musically it isn't so amazing, but many people say that it's "interesting", so surely this makes it more valuable? Well... it isn't 1/10th as interesting as the Anthology and Past Masters series. Those are the raw originals that these tracks are made from. The love stuff just sounds kinda cheesy in comparison

The album has one real benefit for me though: I'm an album kinda guy, and all the beatles albums hold some significance or feeling for me.. so I cant really listen to them in an unattached way - i have to be in the right mood. LOVE has no particular meaning so i can listen to it whenever

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #72 of 84
They should stop mucking around and just remastered the entire collection, which is obviously overdue and stop teasing us with these repackaged tidbits. It would be ideal if George Martin oversaw or participated in some meaningful way even though he’s near deaf and probably has awesome hearing aids.

I like Love. It’s hard not to with such great material. I think the sound quality is pretty fantastic, but the bass and drums are louder than on previous Beatles CD releases and probably even LPs. I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that Giles and George wanted and needed Ringo and Paul to like what they were hearing and sign off on sample tracks during the project ultimately until completion. I think Yoko and Olivia did as well, but the remaining Beatles had more pull. Or possibly Giles’ ear prefers this presentation. I guess I am so use to hearing these tracks a particular way. Yet I’ll never get use to hearing these song in any other order besides the way they were originally released.

There are some passages like towards the end of Strawberry Fields Forever, track 13, that are a little much, but an interesting listen nonetheless. George Martin’s score for “Guitar Gently Weeps” is simply amazing, but using an alternative take with a slightly different spin on the lyrics isn’t ideal over the original lyrics. I also have a lot of issues with the entire Love CD. Yeah it's just an OK and fun listen so remaster the collection already!

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #74 of 84
i definitely was struck by the sound of the CD. i was given it as a present and the first time i listened (hadn't read the liner or anything about the CD), i was confused. it couldn't be the beatles and have this good a sound! even the singers sounded like paul, george, john, and ringo!

ok, then read the liner. again impressed with the sound. however . . .

for me there is something not there -- the mixing took away the purity of the individual songs. too much of a traditionalist? maybe . . .

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #75 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the sound quality is pretty fantastic, but the bass and drums are louder than on previous Beatles CD releases and probably even LPs. I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that Giles and George wanted and needed Ringo and Paul to like what they were hearing and sign off on sample tracks during the project ultimately until completion....

I noticed this too. It might just be a concession to modern tastes, which lean towards a heavier bassline. Whatever the reason, I approve. One of the reasons I've always found it hard to get into the Beatles is because the vocals, which tend to have a nasal quality (IMHO vocals were the Beatles' weak point) were too prominent. This is a really good, accessible album for people who are kind of on the fence about the Beatles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back