Beatles: Love
Nov 24, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #31 of 84
Hey guys, I listen to the 5.1 DVD through my Creative MedaiSource DVD-A Player, but...it's not gapless = \

Do you guys know any free programs that play DVD-A perfectly?

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #32 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I listen to the 5.1 DVD through my Creative MedaiSource DVD-A Player, but...it's not gapless = \

Do you guys know any free programs that play DVD-A perfectly?

I've not got any DVD-A to hand to test it out but I would imagine that VLC Player could play it properly (but whether it'd be the best audio player around I'm not sure)

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #33 of 84
I listened to this out of curiosity as well, and I have to say, the SQ was quite impressive. I just listened to the 2.0 mix. However, the songs themselves...I find them interesting listening to them in order, but I think that it's more of a novelty effect to see how it would be remixed. Glass Onion frustrated me a lot....grrr, doesn't help that it's one of my favorite, so I had high hopes. I don't think I'd listen to it on random...but we'll see, I have to listen to it more in the coming days. But, again, the SQ is incredible....the opening track, Because, is just vocals, and sounds so clear and pristine through my SR80s that I was floored

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #34 of 84
To me this is the Beatles meet Pink Floyd. Great crystal clear sound. Best cd I have picked up in a while. Proves that Grorge Martin is truely the sixth Beatle.(Billy P being the fifth )

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #35 of 84
I thought Clarence was the 5th Beatle??
biggrin.gif

I would agree...interesting listen thus far. I'm not sure how much I like it yet...I think that will require extensive listening.

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #36 of 84
I think that the entire catalog should have been remastered and reissued before anything like this saw the light of day.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #37 of 84
"love" is an outstanding headphone album. if this is a glimpse of what the actual remasters will sound like, then consider me salivating.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"love" is an outstanding headphone album. if this is a glimpse of what the actual remasters will sound like, then consider me salivating.

x2

The current Beatles offerings are absolutely atrocious through headphones (simply due to the stereo imaging, as I have no crossfeed option) and after hearing Love through my cans, I am chomping at the bit for remasters of the full catalogue. Some points in the album were so magnificently layered and crystal clear, it was almost too much to take - I was aurally overstimulated. Big time kudos to George and Giles Martin for their spectacular work - let's hope these guys get the OK to remaster the original works.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #39 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here.

But somehow I think it would lose some of the magic of the originals. These remasters added a lot even for the "untouched" tracks, and I'm really content with the Dr Ebbets needle drops.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #40 of 84
Well, I've now listened to the CD twice, and I'm listening to the DVD-A disc of Love right now. In a nutshell, though I'm not convinced that the concept is the next coming of sliced bread, it's stunning just how good it sounds. I'm really enjoying the hell out of this album.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just finished listening to "Help", and now it's "Blackbird/Yesterday". I know these songs as well as any in the Beatles catalog, and I'm getting chills as the strings kick in. The production is wonderful...George and Giles Martin are to be congratulated for their fine work.

I'm a bit of a Beatles purist, so I initially thumbed my nose at this whole concept. That said, I'm more of a Beatles fan than purist. Anything "new" that is even semi-genuine Beatles, I'm probably there eventually. I'm not entirely sold on the whole concept here...it's different, to be sure. Essentially a big Beatles medley, which may or may not do it for the typical listener. That said, "Stars on 45" it ain't...it's something very new and very different, but at the same time it fits like an old pair of jeans. Oh, and let's be frank here - we ain't getting no new Beatles albums. This is as close as we're likely to get to something really new.

I'm thinking that I like it...a bit of Pink Floyd meets the Beatles, which is not all bad. I also know I like what I'm HEARING...again, the production work is nothing short of stunning. The DVD-A stereo layer has convinced me that there is plenty of good that can come of the original source material, given the right treatment in remastering. I can't tell you how much I am hoping that the rumored re-mastering of the Beatles UK catalog turns out to be reality...and turns out to be of similar quality. PLEASE, oh PLEASE let there be a CD + DVD-A remastering of the UK catalog!! I promise to eat my spinach and do a good deed daily!!
biggrin.gif

If you love the Beatles like me, you'll probably love Love too. As unusual a concept as it is, I can't not recommend it...particularly for those who have hi-rez capability.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #41 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've now listened to the CD twice, and I'm listening to the DVD-A disc of Love right now. In a nutshell, though I'm not convinced that the concept is the next coming of sliced bread, it's stunning just how good it sounds. I'm really enjoying the hell out of this album.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just finished listening to "Help", and now it's "Blackbird/Yesterday". I know these songs as well as any in the Beatles catalog, and I'm getting chills as the strings kick in. The production is wonderful...George and Giles Martin are to be congratulated for their fine work.

I'm a bit of a Beatles purist, so I initially thumbed my nose at this whole concept. That said, I'm more of a Beatles fan than purist. Anything "new" that is even semi-genuine Beatles, I'm probably there eventually. I'm not entirely sold on the whole concept here...it's different, to be sure. Essentially a big Beatles medley, which may or may not do it for the typical listener. That said, "Stars on 45" it ain't...it's something very new and very different, but at the same time it fits like an old pair of jeans. Oh, and let's be frank here - we ain't getting no new Beatles albums. This is as close as we're likely to get to something really new.

I'm thinking that I like it...a bit of Pink Floyd meets the Beatles, which is not all bad. I also know I like what I'm HEARING...again, the production work is nothing short of stunning. The DVD-A stereo layer has convinced me that there is plenty of good that can come of the original source material, given the right treatment in remastering. I can't tell you how much I am hoping that the rumored re-mastering of the Beatles UK catalog turns out to be reality...and turns out to be of similar quality. PLEASE, oh PLEASE let there be a CD + DVD-A remastering of the UK catalog!! I promise to eat my spinach and do a good deed daily!!
biggrin.gif

If you love the Beatles like me, you'll probably love Love too. As unusual a concept as it is, I can't not recommend it...particularly for those who have hi-rez capability.

I agree. The sound quality is what is going to make me keep listening to it. As far as the concept goes, it's mediocre at best. I think I'm going to listen to it when I want a change from the Beatles' traditional catalog, much like I would do with Butchering the Beatles. All in all, it's an interesting album for sure, and any Beatles fan should listen to it, but it wouldn't be the first thing I recommend to someone who isn't familiar. I think most of the charm comes from knowing the songs so well and seeing them portrayed differently

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #42 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. The sound quality is what is going to make me keep listening to it.

I'm hearing "A Day in the Life" for the first time on hi-rez....OMG!! This makes the entire purchase worthwhile.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Oh, and now comes "Hey Jude"...one of my old favorites...just stunning!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #43 of 84
I listened to this album about three or four times over the weekend at my parents' house, and it dawned me that the whole album reminds me of the second side of Abbey Road where it's just one big song in essence.

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most of the charm comes from knowing the songs so well and seeing them portrayed differently

Totally. Most of the effect would be lost on unfamiliar ears. Knowing the material well yields even more rewards in the countless subtle nuances in the recording. Not the be all end all by any means, but certainly a nice little surprise.

Oh, and remember too, the album itself is a soundtrack to a Cirque du Soleil performance... I can only imagine what it would be like to see how they choreographed this!

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #45 of 84
How are the Sgt. Pepper's tracks? (especially "A Day in the Life")?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back