Bay Area Meet (California) February 11th, 2012 INTEREST THREAD
Aug 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #46 of 212
I like the idea of having a "standardized" group of 12-15 tracks which could be carried around by attendees on a single CD or USB-type medium for insertion into a system set up by a given manufacturer.  Maybe some manufacturer or group of manufacturers could assist in the creation of these as a courtesy to attendees?   Maybe a collection of tunes from various genres of music and sounds?  Maybe only portions of 50 tunes strung together in cohesive fashion so as to really challenge the gear to be evaluated?

Of course, the material chosen would have to be up to the task, but I believe that a group of enthusiasts as we have here could certainly come up with a representative collection.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #47 of 212
Welcome, Q!
 I've been in the business for 30 years, but totally new to the world of on-line forum communication.  I apparently have lots to learn, but am willing to do so.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #48 of 212
How about a custom ordered Head-Fi.org USB flash drive pre-loaded with reference material which can be purchased at the door?

Many companies make these custom USB sticks for marketing, promotion etc.  I'm sure lots of Head-Fi enthusiasts would love to have their own flash drive with a Head-Fi logo!  A large company like AKG, Sennheiser, Westone, etc may be willing to sponsor the drives if we put their logo on the other side it could bring the cost down considerably.

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #49 of 212
Two suggestions are consistently popping up:
  1. Trying to maintain a "quiet area".
  2. Somehow providing or pre-determining a list of reference tracks or the files themselves.

I'll pay attention to the continuing recommendations on how we might do this and see if we can't come up with some good solutions to try...

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #51 of 212

Quote:
Oh yea... and how will it be enforced?

I totally trust people will be pretty good about it once informed. Last year, there were just so many people and it wasn't communicated to anyone to keep the noise down (it was OK anyways because I made a lot of new friends.) We just need to put up a few signs like this:

And we can have CeeTee administer the beatings to people who violate the rules since it appears he may have had considerably more experience with such techniques in an earlier life.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #52 of 212
I have a vision for a new CEE TEE avatar...

I like the idea of the vendors being in one room and the members rigs in another.  Which leads me to another discussion CEE TEE and I were having... How much vendor presence do we want to have?  Does the "meet" become a "show" if we have too much?  Or is the idea to see as much new gear as we can?

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #53 of 212
x2 on the CEE TEE avatar.

Last year was perfect for the vendor / hobbyist ratio. Any more, and it would have started to feel like a show. I get a feeling there may be even more people next year so you can probably increase the number of vendors.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #55 of 212

I'm intrigued by the idea originally voiced by bk4music, and enhanced by fallingreason, of a Head-Fi branded USB drive for purchase.  My original thought was to make a playlist of songs (including the associated lossless files) available for our local Bay Area event, but if jude (or another designated Head-Fi representative) expresses interest in associating the Head-Fi brand with this effort, I see no reason why the concept of a standard demonstration playlist could not be adopted at other Local/Regional, National and International Head-Fi events.  This would definitely add several layers of complexity to the original playlist concept, but I think it would be great if we could make it a reality.  I have no expertize in this area, so it would be helpful we could work with someone within the Head-Fi org for additional guidance on costs, copyrights, licensing, non-profit requirements, etc., associated with taking this concept forward.

Regardless, if the Head-Fi branded USB drive idea comes to pass or not, we can still make the music available from our own personal music collections for the 2012 Bay Area event. To get things started, here's a list of songs I'd like to nominate for the list (my apologies for the small print):

I'm looking forward to receiving suggestions on how to best create a single playlist based on collaborative input from other members of the community.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #56 of 212
Wow, jazzfan- that looks like a great playlist...we'll have to find out about the copyright/licensing issues as getting the USB drive made sounds like it is probably the easier part.

Maybe we'll pick up some steam with your contribution!

Wonderful effort.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #57 of 212
Christian- Sign me up too.

Put me down as another vote for the new avatar as well.

biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #58 of 212
New guy to head-fi, but sign me up. I also hope to see some of you at Can Jam!
dt880smile.png

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #60 of 212
I'd maybe go with my parent(s), if I knew what I was going to do there, and what you even do at one of these things.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back