Battle of the Summit Fi Planars (Suvara, LCD-5, Diana TC and Stealth)
May 28, 2022 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

inseconds99

500+ Head-Fier
This is a quick discussion around the Summit Fi Planars (Susvara, LCD-5, Diana TC, Stealth).

Let’s keep each post as neat as possible. Score all as a 1 to 5.

Headphone
•Comfort score
•Sound score (highs/mids/lows)
•Technical score (imaging/soundstage/distortion etc)
•EQability score

May 29, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 6
Is this only open to those who have heard/own all 4?

May 29, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 6
Is this only open to those who have heard/own all 4?
I apologize, should have made that clear. No, you can certainly add other Summit Fi planars to the list if you wanted to as well. Just a great source of information for people looking into this space.

The more concise and uniform the data is, the easier it would be for people to gather info.

I have owned/heard a ton of headphones, never once owned a Summit Fi planar. This will help my next purchase out as well.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Anyone want to start this conversation off?

May 29, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 6
DCA Stealth
Comfort score: 5...just be sure to make sure to pull the cups down and slightly forward so that the ear helices are just touching the back of the pad interior

Sound score: To my knowledge Stealth is the only TOTL that achieves such close FR conformity to the Harman curve
highs: 5 ...AMTS is crucial for shaping the highs. No sibilance and peaks​
mids: 5 ...dependent on cup position​
lows: 3 ...Highly seal dependent, so take off your glasses. Sub-bass is excellent. Could use more slam​

Technical score:
imaging: 5​
soundstage: 5​
distortion: 5 ...Stealth sounds squeaky clean with virtually no distortion even at extremely high SPL​

EQability score: 5...

AB-1266 TC
Comfort score: 3...Suspension and weight not the issue, but rather not being able to move your head or recline. The stock cable has awful ergonomics and can tug the frame off-center.

Sound score:...let me specify that the ear pad seams are at 3 and 9 oclock, minimal toe-out, and pad just barely touching my skin
highs: 4 ...can get occasionally spicy using stock cable​
mids: 3 ...Vocals sound distant, slightly metallic and somewhat cold. The TC's Achilles heel, tonally.​
lows: 5...Famous bass quantity/quality and slam as long as there is a decent air gap, but rolls off the sub-bass too much​

Technical score:
imaging: 5 ...The TC's technicalities are world-class.​
distortion: 5...No audible distortion at normal listening levels​
EQability score: 4... difficult to properly EQ to a particular target, since there is no official FR measurement given the various ways it can be worn. However, experimenting with frame extension, toeing, pad rotation are useful (or infuriating) ways to tailor to your preferred sound. Several users have gotten excellent results with convolution filters for additional fee.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 6
DCA Stealth
Comfort score: 5

Sound score:
highs: 5 ...AMTS is crucial for shaping the highs. No sibilance and peaks​
mids: 5 ...dependent on cup position​
lows: 3 ...Highly seal dependent, so take off your glasses. Sub-bass is excellent. Could use more slam​

Technical score:
imaging: 5​
distortion: 5 ...Stealth sounds squeaky clean with virtually no distortion even at extremely high SPL​

EQability score: 5...

AB-1266 TC
Comfort score: 3...Suspension and weight not the issue, but rather not being able to move your head or recline. The stock cable has awful ergonomics and can tug the frame off-center.

Sound score:
highs: 4 ...can get occasionally spicy using stock cable​
mids: 3 ...Vocals sound distant, slightly metallic and somewhat cold. The TC's Achilles heel, tonally.​
lows: 5...Famous bass quantity/quality and slam as long as there is a decent air gap, but rolls off the sub-bass too much​

Technical score:
imaging: 5 ...The TC's technicalities are world-class.​
distortion: 5...No audible distortion at normal listening levels​
EQability score: 4... difficult to properly EQ to a particular target, since there is no official FR measurement given the various ways it can be worn. However, experimenting with frame extension, toeing, pad rotation are useful (or infuriating) ways to tailor to your preferred sound. Several users have gotten excellent results with convolution filters for additional fee.
Awesome post, thank you so much!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back