Battle of the Modern Planars: LCD-X vs PM-1 vs HE-560
Jan 27, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #76 of 88
Great Review.

I have HE560 drive by LYR, very great can good soundstage, great detail, neutral but a little bit bright to me. One thing that I think LCD-X better is Bass. So I change the stock tube "JJ E88CC" to "70's Voskhod 6n1p-ev" then my rig goes warmer, Bass is better both quality & quantity with a little more dynamic. Great job with only 28 USD tube. ^^

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #78 of 88
  Hi, Welcome to 2017 lol
Hope you're all still enjoying the 560s. I have just purchased, and returned the first pair due to a terrible distortion. The second pair also had the distortion and so  I decided to purchase an amp as I felt that may have been the problem. While waiting for the amp to show up, the left earcup just went dead. I did the test of switching cable L and R, and different amplifiers. Nope, dead. So it went off to the warranty dept. 
Just wondering what the reference to "f" and "th" was regarding sibilance?  Because I was wondering if that was a reference to the distortion that I heard. I am guessing not as I don't think anyone would honor the sound quality based the sound I heard which was intolerable in my opinion. 
So here's to waiting for the third pair....and fingers crossed.  

PS. Running it so far through a Sony HAP-S1 and waiting for delivery of the iFi Micro iDSD for added amplification. I'll be connecting out from the Sony to the iFi to headphones. 

I moved on from the 560s since then and went to the HD800, which I adored for a year, then sold off and now have the Elears, which I doubt I'll be keeping in the long run.

The 'f' and 'th' I was talking about I am assuming was sibilance peaks in the lower treble, which would emphasize those consonants in hot recordings.  The HE-560-- even with focus a pads-- still has a bit too much energy in the 4k range.

The distortion you're hearing might be from recordings, or it might be a hair in the driver, or it just might be from poor hifiman quality control.  Given hifiman's recent musings with the HE-1000 and Edition 6, I find it hard to support them anymore, especially since their build quality and quality control is still suspect.  Hopefully the third pair comes working.

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #79 of 88
Has anyone done a battle of some of to TOTL planars?

Specifically, I'm torn between saving up for the LCD-4, 1000 v2, edition x v2, and Ether Flow.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #80 of 88
Mar 20, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #82 of 88
I don't have them but check the thread for impressions.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #84 of 88
It's been such a while since I've heard the 560, and even though I have a good idea of how it sounds as a whole, I couldn't say much about how it directly compares to the Aeon.

The Aeon is definitely a sidegrade though. There are very few straight-up upgrades in headphones, as everything has a tradeoff and different sound.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #85 of 88
Aug 31, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #86 of 88
Thank you! Yeah just wondering if it's worth the price gap. I could sell my 560s for about $400 now and pick up Aeons for around $650. Decisions decisions haha.

I know there is not one ultimate headphone, but I'd like to think theres one out there for me! Hard to find though and atm I'm considering the Aeons, Elears, D7200, Eikon, LCD 2/3,

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #87 of 88
Thanks for the post. @Maxx134 - Do you have the Monoprice Monolith M1060? If so, how does it hold up compared to the aforementioned headphones on this review?
Hey. Don't know if you're still interested in those Monolith 1060s but I just returned a pair because they didn't really keep up with my LCD-2s, sonically. They're crazy comfortable. I really liked the feel of the ear pads although they actually got a little hot after a bit. Anyway anyway, the sound was fantastic but just a little too fast and condensed for my tastes. When I first tried them I also experienced what others are calling the '4k ringing.' But then I ran them through the Lyr and it pretty much went away. That Z-Review guy on youtube was comparing them lovingly to the LCD-Xs. I think he's often a little too generous with his reviews. But everyone likes a different sound so if you feel like dealing with shipping, they might be worth a try-and-return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back