• Lake People DAC RS 06 & CORDA CLASSIC-ff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • OPPO HA-1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 4, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #61 of 70
I looked at Classic -ff specs again and it does list power output "Maximum output 15V / 500 mA." I guess I missed it the fist time I looked at the specs. So let me try to remember the Ohm's law... that should be 7.5W into 30ohms... 7.5 watts in to 30 ohms! the hell??? Why "it can't drive" low impedance phones then??? I give up.:confounded:

Like I said, if the reviewer likes the effect of a Burson amp, he likes the effect of a Burson amp.

To some degree it's indicative of current performance on a low impedance, and worse, low sensitivity headphone when no matter how loud it gets, it can't get enough "oomph" on the low end, even if the output impedance isn't the likely problem (same thing happens to high impedance, but up there it's not just "loud but thin-sounding," chances are you can't get that loud at all on the amps that fail to get any bass slam out of them). But there's "low noise to get in the way of what slam there is" Meier and "initially groovy but at some point you notice it's kind of overdone" Burson.

There's a similar thing wtth speaker amps. Yamaha's the weak-arse amp; then there's NAD and Marantz that can deliver a natural but groovy low end; and then there's some buy using some low power SET claiming it has more bass even on his speakers that aren't high sensitivity but you can hear how wobbly the bass is (this is a more extreme example than the Burson's strong attack, which is great, but then you only notice it's overdone after a while when you start noticing the trailing end of the note doesn't fade out as quickly as, say, a Meier or a Gilmore Lite, Violectric, etc).

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #63 of 70
Thanks for your advice, but I think we have a disconnect. I'm looking for headphone amp and dac, or combo unit in 1500 to 2000 eur range that sounds neutral, transparent, and resolving, not speaker amp, also I don't care about tech or class that amp uses, wa6 se is an amp that sounds neutral and resolving, it just happens that it's using tubes. if you have any suggestions for equipment that would satisfy my whims I would appreciate it.

Hi @Sebastian.Athea,

No problem, there was no disconnect, I was just addressing some of the tube comments which also happened to be related to both head amps &/or dacs & well as speaker amps but in general I was referring to head amps, apologies if there was misunderstanding regarding this.

There are several head amps which fit your category I am aware of which fit your requirements are as follows in no particular order :

Sony TA ZH1ES
Woo Audio WA 8 Eclipse
IFI Pro iCan
Woo Audio WA 11 Passport
Violectric Audio HPA 280 / 220
Vincent Audio KH V1
Fostex HP A8C
Fostex HP A4BL
RNHP
Burson Audio Soloist M2

I suggest demos on these if possible to see which suits you best.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #64 of 70
Hi @Sebastian.Athea,

No problem, there was no disconnect, I was just addressing some of the tube comments which also happened to be related to both head amps &/or dacs & well as speaker amps but in general I was referring to head amps, apologies if there was misunderstanding regarding this.

There are several head amps which fit your category I am aware of which fit your requirements are as follows in no particular order :

Sony TA ZH1ES
Woo Audio WA 8 Eclipse
IFI Pro iCan
Woo Audio WA 11 Passport
Violectric Audio HPA 280 / 220
Vincent Audio KH V1
Fostex HP A8C
Fostex HP A4BL
RNHP
Burson Audio Soloist M2

I suggest demos on these if possible to see which suits you best.

IFI Pro iCan and RNHP are the best from that list, iCan is expensive though.
From my personal experience I wouldn't recommend any audio gear or measuring instrument that has OLED display because this happens after about 1000h of use
2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #65 of 70
IFI Pro iCan and RNHP are the best from that list, iCan is expensive though.
From my personal experience I wouldn't recommend any audio gear or measuring instrument that has OLED display because this happens after about 1000h of use

Hi @Sebastian.Athea,

Personally & subjectively, not a fan of Pro iCan & definitely agree it is expensive though it does have its uses.
Regarding displays in general, doesn't matter what type, all depends...

Personally & subjectively, RNHP is my go to reference head amp & the only one I actually own on the list I provided though I have extensively done demos on all other head amps mentioned.
I may consider one or two of the others myself down the line, budget & sanity permitting but it all depends.

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #66 of 70
Hi @Sebastian.Athea,

Personally & subjectively, not a fan of Pro iCan & definitely agree it is expensive though it does have its uses.
Regarding displays in general, doesn't matter what type, all depends...

Personally & subjectively, RNHP is my go to reference head amp & the only one I actually own on the list I provided though I have extensively done demos on all other head amps mentioned.
I may consider one or two of the others myself down the line, budget & sanity permitting but it all depends.

Did you have a chance to demo HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 or CORDA CLASSIC-ff?

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #67 of 70
Did you have a chance to demo HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 or CORDA CLASSIC-ff?

Hi @Sebastian.Athea,

For demos, unfortnuately I do not have access to the Cordas but maybe one day...

Gilmore Lite M2 is on my list for demo though as it is not availabe where I am, I cannot comment on it just yet & I prefer not to comment or recommend anything I have not tried personally.
But I am definitely looking forward to trying the Gilmore Lite M2 when it becomes available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back