Battle for SQ alone: UE 6000/9000 vs Bose QC 15 vs V-Moda M-100
Oct 26, 2012 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Omarqx

New Head-Fier
Forgetting bluetooth, noise cancelling, comfort, and all other such factors.. which of these headphones would you guys consider as the best in terms of sound quality alone? Given that all of them are used in their peak form, without any amps!
Listening Genre is rock and metal. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 16
As in, their noise-cancelling is first rate but Bose neglected the sound quality. It sounds $150 at most.

If V-Moda can deliver as with their M80, the M100 should be disqualified for being too unfair to the competition.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 16
As an owner of the M-100's, I can easily say they're one of the best headphones I've ever heard. They aren't "neutral" by any means, but it's not a bad thing. the words I would use to describe them would be "Clear" and "Fun". The mid-range and treble work wonderfully together, and the bass punches and kicks in all the right ways. With proper amping, these can be the perfect "basshead" headphone, but they work amazingly well with jazz and acoustic as well.  The only genres I find they are "comparatively" weak in are badly-mastered rock, and classic, but that's only compared to how amazing it is with other genres.

If you want a "do it all" SQ headphone, but want some great, controlled, deep bass, then look no further than the M-100.

I would also recommend adding the AKG K267 to this little shootout, as that is another headphone I have ordered to compare to the M-100's. If you don't want to add it, you can always check the link in my signature for a full closed portable shootout.

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 16
The QC15 are massively under-valued by most audiophile types, but (especially with the ANC considered) are honestly one of the better ~$300 sealed headphones you can get. They eat batteries though. Kind of bassy and lifeless, they don't do anything offensive or wrong, but they aren't typical audiophile "bright and light" fare. They're probably the most comfortable closed headphone I've ever tried. Now the rub is, I haven't heard the other two - but I'm guessing they won't beat the Bose for comfort or ANC performance, SQ will probably split along subjective lines. I can see the bassy impact not being to everyone's taste, and the "deadness" that the ANC brings is quite uncanny compared to most other headphones (this really should not be understated or ignored - the ANC is very much a part of their soundsig).

There are other options that do sound better, but provide far less isolation, so it's a trade-off. IMHO if you don't need the isolation, don't spend the money on the batteries.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
As an owner of the M-100's, I can easily say they're one of the best headphones I've ever heard. They aren't "neutral" by any means, but it's not a bad thing. the words I would use to describe them would be "Clear" and "Fun". The mid-range and treble work wonderfully together, and the bass punches and kicks in all the right ways. With proper amping, these can be the perfect "basshead" headphone, but they work amazingly well with jazz and acoustic as well.  The only genres I find they are "comparatively" weak in are badly-mastered rock, and classic, but that's only compared to how amazing it is with other genres.

If you want a "do it all" SQ headphone, but want some great, controlled, deep bass, then look no further than the M-100.

I would also recommend adding the AKG K267 to this little shootout, as that is another headphone I have ordered to compare to the M-100's. If you don't want to add it, you can always check the link in my signature for a full closed portable shootout.

Thanks for your input BRS! 
I wanted to clarify that you were referring to the M-100's SQ without the amps, because I don't think I'll use amps. Further, are they easy to drive? Comparing the UE 9000 and the M-100 when hooked up with my laptop (decent sound card, nothing special).. will the SQ of the M-100 really be that much better than the UE 9000? Again, my primary genre is rock but I also listen to the blues, classic and some pop. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
The QC15 are massively under-valued by most audiophile types, but (especially with the ANC considered) are honestly one of the better ~$300 sealed headphones you can get. They eat batteries though. Kind of bassy and lifeless, they don't do anything offensive or wrong, but they aren't typical audiophile "bright and light" fare. They're probably the most comfortable closed headphone I've ever tried. Now the rub is, I haven't heard the other two - but I'm guessing they won't beat the Bose for comfort or ANC performance, SQ will probably split along subjective lines. I can see the bassy impact not being to everyone's taste, and the "deadness" that the ANC brings is quite uncanny compared to most other headphones (this really should not be understated or ignored - the ANC is very much a part of their soundsig).
There are other options that do sound better, but provide far less isolation, so it's a trade-off. IMHO if you don't need the isolation, don't spend the money on the batteries.

Thanks for your input!
Would you please help me and share some of those better sounding options which you referred to? Provided they're closed circumaural headphones. 
Just as a reminder, the primary listening genre is rock (all kinds)
Thanks!

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Thanks for your input BRS! 
I wanted to clarify that you were referring to the M-100's SQ without the amps, because I don't think I'll use amps. Further, are they easy to drive? Comparing the UE 9000 and the M-100 when hooked up with my laptop (decent sound card, nothing special).. will the SQ of the M-100 really be that much better than the UE 9000? Again, my primary genre is rock but I also listen to the blues, classic and some pop. 

They can be driven fine out of my iPod Touch 5th Generation. When it comes to the UE9000 vs. M-100 comparison, you should message Craigster75. He kept botht he UE6000 and the M-100's, because they sound different enough. The UE would be the more balanced headphone, but the M-100 would be more fun to listen to. It depends on what you want. 

If you need more information on that specific comparison, I recommend you ask Craigster75.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for your input!
Would you please help me and share some of those better sounding options which you referred to? Provided they're closed circumaural headphones. 
Just as a reminder, the primary listening genre is rock (all kinds)
Thanks!

I didn't like QC15 a lot with rock. I'd vote ATH-ESW9, KH-K1000, TBSE1, or maybe the older Denon models. Bose will have more isolation than any of these, and better comfort than most though - so weigh your options.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #14 of 16
The LPs have too much bass gain which bleeds too much into the mids resulting in thick, muddy sound. The M100 is far superior in that regard.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

That... was beautiful :') I was deciding between the M-100 and the MDR-1R, now sold on the M-100 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back