Basslines. Why are they so simple?
Jun 15, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #46 of 50
I'm really not sure what you're looking for if you think Tool's basslines are bad.... but if you want a band where bass is the lead instrument, listen to some older Primus, they're really good.

If you've seen Tool live, you know that they're so technical that both the guitar and bass players don't do anything but face backwards, towards each other and the drummer. That's why their show mostly relies on video, b/c everyone but the singer can't do anything but play. Lucky one of them runs an animation studio.

Jun 15, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
I'm really not sure what you're looking for if you think Tool's basslines are bad.... but if you want a band where bass is the lead instrument, listen to some older Primus, they're really good.

If you've seen Tool live, you know that they're so technical that both the guitar and bass players don't do anything but face backwards, towards each other and the drummer. That's why their show mostly relies on video, b/c everyone but the singer can't do anything but play. Lucky one of them runs an animation studio.

Actually even the singer barely moves from his spot.
wink.gif

You should really try "dredg" though, I've bought their Leitmotif and el cielo albums and I'm glad I did.

Jun 15, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #48 of 50
To the original poster:

I know what you mean, but John Myung, the bass player for DT, proves like every other song that he is indeed a bass GOD. If you've ever seen Live At Budokan, he's crazy awesome. And he never made a mistake in the entire show.

Now if you're talking about the majority of today's teen punk/garbage bands, what you said holds true.

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
And he never made a mistake in the entire show.

i dunno about that.. they were all pretty tired for that show, and mistakes were flying freely (especially JP, but that's ok.. he was playing crazy passages and suffering from jet lag at the same time :O).

either way.. unless you were actually AT the show or something, there really is no justifiable way to say that he never made a mistake.

~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back