Bassier, flatter sounding step up from UE SuperFi 3 Studios?
Sep 3, 2010 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bemymonkey

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a more "fun" pair of IEMs for day-to-day listening. Currently I use two different pairs of Creative EP630 for this, because I don't really like listening on my SuperFi3 Studios so much - there's not enough bass to be fun, and they require EQ to sound really good because of the mid hump (I'm very used to the less middy, processed sound that's prevalent in pop and rock these days). The SuperFi3 Studios are great on stage, as the mid hump sounds awesome for guitar (I'm a guitarist), but I want something that's a bit more fun.

My EP630 on the other hand, have a little too much low-mid type bass. They have a real thump, which is good, but it seems to be more around 160Hz and up - I don't know if in-ears are even capable of this, but I'd like a bit more low-end thump - think 100Hz and lower... doesn't need to be particularly hefty, but should be nice and deep. Also, they tend to distort in the high mids at medium to high volumes... no good for dynamic stuff like live recordings.

It's been a while since I listened to any other high-end in-ears, and the last time I got to try some out I wasn't exactly aware of these problems, or my tastes. I remember the TripleFi10's fondly, but I'm not sure how much I was influenced by general hype :wink:

So what do you guys suggest? I need more bass and less mids than the SuperFi3 Studios, and deeper bass and more headroom than the EP630. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

-edit- Forgot to add: TIGHT bass is a necessity. Should be more or less as tight as the SuperFi3Studios (which have very tight bass - there's just not enough to go around :p), and nowhere near as "bouncy" and loose as the EP630's...

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 17
SE535:  It's the flatest most neutral IEM I have ever heard that also provides great dynamics, space and fullness at the same time.  Shure did an outstanding job with it!

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 17
I've been looking at the TF10 already, but do they really have much more bass than the SF3Studios? I mean, I'm not a basshead, but the SF3Studios really are too anaemic for my taste.

The IE8, on the other hand... been looking for a chance to try those out :)

Do you guys have any tips for trying out in-ears before buying? Seems difficult :p

-edit- By the way, how would you rate the IE8 and TF10 in terms of sensitivity in regards to the quality of the headphone output? The SF3Studios seem so sensitive in that sense - no bass at all on my iAudio7...

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 17
Radius DDM (HP-TWF11R). best price for the sound you get in the market.
It comes with Dual Diaphragm transducer and is much cheaper then IE8.
ksc75smile.gif

Check the reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486541/radius-hp-twf11r-review-and-impressions-thread

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 17
IE8, DDM, MTP Gold, CKS70 and FX500......

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
just to say, btw DDM, oh not anything like that person seems to think they are.

In a good way? :p

Quote:
IE8, DDM, MTP Gold, CKS70 and FX500......

Hmmm, the latter three don't seem to be available in Germany. I'd really prefer to order from a place that has a decent return policy (with free shipping back...), since there don't really seem to be any places to "test drive" in-ears around here.

Looks like I'll definitely be checking out the IE8 and TF10 though. How would you guys describe the bass on those when compared to the SuperFi3Studio? Are there gobs more or is it subtle?

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 17
If you decide to go the IE8 route, here is an excellent address I can happily recommend to you. Bought from them three times, excellent service.
http://www.mp3-player.de/index.php?page=article&ID=8216

I had the SF3, and upgraded to the SF5pro and later the IE8. I definitely preferred the IE8 to those two. The SF3 is a nice set of starters's phones, but they lack extension both in the low and high end of the spectrum.
The SF5pro are better in that aspect, but they sound somewhat raw, unrefined. I really enjoyed the upgrade to the IE8.
But you have to be warned, I wouldn't call them "flat" at all. They sound warm and pleasant, and have a lot of oomph (compared to close-to-none with the SF3), yet they are much more detailed than the SF3. Definitely an upgrade, but totally different sound sig.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #13 of 17
  Some points to consider. If isolation is a primary concern to you, strike the DDM and the ie8 off your list. These two iems also have some fit issues (the DDM more so than the ie8), so if you can audition them at a store before buying, go for it. Maybe Kopfhoerer Studio, HiFi Profis or even MediaMarkt has some of them.

In the sonic department, i can only speak about the DDM as i haven't had the opportunity to listen to the rest of the iems on your list. The midrange is great on those phones, very detailed, with great timbre, leading to an excellent reproduction of string instruments and vocals. The lows are also very detailed, well extended, tight and punchy. Bass guitars, contra bassos and drums are some of the best i've heard. The highs are a little recessed, so if you like bright sound this iem is not for you. Short quick cymbal strokes also don't sound their best here, but deep long strokes sound very good.

Transparency isn't great but it's also not bad either. Instrument separation varies greatly from track to track (which is very weird). The soundstage and imaging are surreal. The soundstage is wide and has also very good height. It's somehow like a sphere, and your head is just behind the centre of it. Some sounds can seem to have reached you from faraway, behind you or even above you
tongue_smile.gif
. I sometimes am getting tricked to look left and right or behind me when i use them outside, confusing a noise from the track i listen to, for something from my surroundings.

You can get them from musicaacoustics, it's a japanese store that also reportedly offers great support (look at page 52 on the DDM appreciation thread). Only look for the OEM version if you have enough spare tips/flanges, as this version comes only with the one pair on them.

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
  Some points to consider. If isolation is a primary concern to you, strike the DDM and the ie8 off your list. These two iems also have some fit issues (the DDM more so than the ie8), so if you can audition them at a store before buying, go for it. Maybe Kopfhoerer Studio, HiFi Profis or even MediaMarkt has some of them.

In the sonic department, i can only speak about the DDM as i haven't had the opportunity to listen to the rest of the iems on your list. The midrange is great on those phones, very detailed, with great timbre, leading to an excellent reproduction of string instruments and vocals. The lows are also very detailed, well extended, tight and punchy. Bass guitars, contra bassos and drums are some of the best i've heard. The highs are a little recessed, so if you like bright sound this iem is not for you. Short quick cymbal strokes also don't sound their best here, but deep long strokes sound very good.

Transparency isn't great but it's also not bad either. Instrument separation varies greatly from track to track (which is very weird). The soundstage and imaging are surreal. The soundstage is wide and has also very good height. It's somehow like a sphere, and your head is just behind the centre of it. Some sounds can seem to have reached you from faraway, behind you or even above you
tongue_smile.gif
. I sometimes am getting tricked to look left and right or behind me when i use them outside, confusing a noise from the track i listen to, for something from my surroundings.

You can get them from musicaacoustics, it's a japanese store that also reportedly offers great support (look at page 52 on the DDM appreciation thread). Only look for the OEM version if you have enough spare tips/flanges, as this version comes only with the one pair on them.

SkiesOf Azel, I can not be more agree with what you are saying about DDMs. I wish I had this ability to express myself when I try to suggest fellow humans on Head-fi what I think and how I hear things.
frown.gif

There is one thing I wanted to ask: are you saying that Highs are recessed, I agree but what about using EQ with DDM and other phones which lack lows, mids or highs?  Can you just use EQ to compensate what you are missing in sound?
I have my EQ set on my Sony NZ to where I can hear what I desire or am I doing something wrong here?

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #15 of 17
Well Sony dap's don't really have great EQ unless they have gotten better in the last year or so. The DDM has some issues in treble mainly it being recessed and it sounding bad with lots of cymbals. A good EQ can help it out a bit but there's only so much an EQ can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back