Basshead dissapointed with Ultrasone HFI 580s. Need help.
Feb 23, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #48 of 64
I just don't think we are on the same page. All I'm saying is that for a person who wants the browser, email, apps etc, there is no need to buy a cowon because that would also result in a loss of all that functionality. For one who just wants the best music and portability though, I agree with you. It's just the OP already has the iPod and probably uses all the iPod's extra functions...

Quote:
A cowon fits in my pen pocket on my dress shirt. An ipod and amp? No. I really dont need to spell out the negatives and positives like this.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #51 of 64
No Cowon is needed, when you already have a good player such as iPod. You can get excellent EQ and another audiophile features such as crossfeed, soundstage level, etc with simply using Rockbox on your iPod. Rockbox's EQ is far superior to most players' built-in ones. Try that with your 580.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #52 of 64
No Cowon is needed, when you already have a good player such as iPod. You can get excellent EQ and another audiophile features such as crossfeed, soundstage level, etc with simply using Rockbox on your iPod. Rockbox's EQ is far superior to most players' built-in ones. Try that with your 580.

Sounds like a good option though I've never tried it. Looks great. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to look into it too

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #53 of 64
Actually, the best/most money-saving option would be sell the 580's and get some headphones that have bigger bass out of the iPod he already owns. Here we go again, why have headphones that NEED a better source like a cowon to get full potential when you can get a nice pair with huge bass straight out of the iPod. Either way, in his situation, I think his best bet is to just get a darn amp.

Quote:
You're not arguing about getting an amplifier. Your saying how an Ipod has more available programs. He wants max bass, an amp isnt going to do that

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #54 of 64
Quote:
Actually, the best/most money-saving option would be sell the 580's and get some headphones that have bigger bass out of the iPod he already owns. Here we go again, why have headphones that NEED a better source like a cowon to get full potential when you can get a nice pair with huge bass straight out of the iPod. Either way, in his situation, I think his best bet is to just get a darn amp.

I really think you need to hear the 580s at full potential before you start recommending something. Sell the 580's at a loss to get something infinitely worse? It's like selling your Sennheiser HD800 at a discount to get Apple Ibuds because you're not powering the Sennheisers enough. Not the same example, but you get the idea.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #55 of 64
I think my iPod Classic sounds fine. Others agree with me claiming it has a more detailed sound than the beloved 5g iPod. Personally, like I said earlier, I make my decision based on built in storage which the iPod is currently king of. I don't want to spend money on expandable cards or have to worry about losing them.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #56 of 64
Dude, the biggest thing you need to realize is that the OP already has an iPod. Your arguement would be more viable if it were to someone who has no source yet. Carrying a portable amp isn't that big of a deal, it's much more conveniant than walking around an airport with your iPod touch for browsing and other things and listening to music on another device. If the OP didn't want all the added functionality I'm sure they wouldn't have gotten a touch.

Quote:
I really think you need to hear the 580s at full potential before you start recommending something. Sell the 580's at a loss to get something infinitely worse? It's like selling your Sennheiser HD800 at a discount to get Apple Ibuds because you're not powering the Sennheisers enough. Not the same example, but you get the idea.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #57 of 64
Quote:
I think my iPod Classic sounds fine. Others agree with me claiming it has a more detailed sound than the beloved 5g iPod. Personally, like I said earlier, I make my decision based on built in storage which the iPod is currently king of. I don't want to spend money on expandable cards or have to worry about losing them.

For my needs I have a 37 gb library of music which I think is huge already. I have the 32 GB Cowon. I have Itunes put all my music in a 2 TB external hard drive. I take what I want to listen to for outside purposes and I'm obviously not going to listen to 37 GBs of music outside so sound should not be sacrificed for any reason.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Portable amps are NOT convenient. They are way too big, are way too heavy, and cost way too much for me to justify. Keep in mind that I have the Ibasso D10 and I NEVER brought that thing out. It's like carrying a metal brick around. This is IMO anyways, so whatever your preference is up to you. Either way, it's not the end of the world.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #59 of 64
Some might also want to concider this equalizer it looks awesome, don't have any Apple devices so can't comment but if I had one, this had been the first thing I had bought. Graphic linear phase equalizer with possibility to add like 1000 "bands"/points you adjust the curve with lol (check the supported device list though). It only costs like 2 - 3 dollars or something, plus the author seems very helpful, check his replies on the youtube page.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #60 of 64
Thanks, for all the responses...

Regarding rockbox, I can't seem to find anywhere where it is supported for a 4g touch. Also my ipod is still a virgin and is not jailbroken, yet.

I'll have to look into the EQu when I get home.

Regarding he cowon. I understand the price point is similar to most good amps. And I also understand its slimmer and a all in one package, as you explain it.

But... I want to use the ipod, because its new and was a gift for my birthday. Also the argument that its slimmer and a amp is bulky carries no weight to me, due to the fact I keep my headphones, cords, ipod in the ultrasones velvet carry bag in my backpack. So it doesn't really matter. Also, I feel a good amp will be able to grow with me and my future purchases. I.e. laptop/desktop listening, portable gaming, and any forseeable headphone listening I could possibly do, whereas the cowon would only be good to listen to my music in a portable sense.

So far the only suggestion I've seen regarding a amp for what I have is the cmoy 2.03, and someone else listed off several such as a ibasso toucan. What amp can I get that will get me a lot of bass now, but also grow with me for future use? I like to buy things once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back