Basshead dissapointed with Ultrasone HFI 580s. Need help.
Feb 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #31 of 64
without the current to drive the bass properly, no amount of eq and the bassiest fullsize headphones will help. you need a proper amp, not that toy youve been using that doesnt actually add any drive at all. the e5 might help with a little added bass with low impedance highly sensitive iems, but for fullsize headphones that lack power to drive bass properly it will do nothing

also denons and dx1000 havent been mentioned, dx1000 are gonna be past your budget though

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #33 of 64
dx1000, modded D7000, sony R1, all with a proper fullsize amp, or lisa III, fiquest, ibasso toucan, sr71b portables (there are likely others, but i havent heard all of the latest crop of portable amps, the ones mentioned i have heard, or know have enough power) and these will also give you the rest of the spectrum jh13/16 will do it straight out of your iphone or cowon, but will need eq to be unbalanced like the op wants.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #34 of 64
without the current to drive the bass properly, no amount of eq and the bassiest fullsize headphones will help. you need a proper amp, not that toy youve been using that doesnt actually add any drive at all. the e5 might help with a little added bass with low impedance highly sensitive iems, but for fullsize headphones that lack power to drive bass properly it will do nothing

also denons and dx1000 havent been mentioned, dx1000 are gonna be past your budget though

Ok, well before seeing your post. I bought some sony xb500s since everyone seems to think they have good bass, and for 50 dollars I don't think there is much risk to try 'em out.

And with that said, I've heard good things about the dx1000s but can't justify spending that much since I don't use headphones that much.

What amp do you recommend to push the ultrasones and or sonys I have? Because I agree that the e5 is trash.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #35 of 64
Just get a Cowon J3. It's EQ is VERY good. Yes, I've tried the XB500. With the Cowon, you CAN get almost the same maximum bass impact on the HFI 580. They WILL definitely vibrate if that's what you want. I don't know why that's so hard to believe.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #36 of 64
Just get a Cowon J3. It's EQ is VERY good. Yes, I've tried the XB500. With the Cowon, you CAN get almost the same maximum bass impact on the HFI 580. They WILL definitely vibrate if that's what you want. I don't know why that's so hard to believe.

I'm sorry, but is a cowon j3 a media player or a amp? I have a ipod touch currently, I'm looking for a amp to push my ultrasones/sonys from the ipod touch.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 64
Its a player and I have never needed an amp for it. The built in amp is excellent. I never needed an amp for the HFI 580 to push it to major basshead junkie levels. Ipod has always been inadequate however. If you have the Cowon it's EQ abilities alone is worth the price. Add everything else it provides, expandable memory, many readable file formats, easy file organization, powerful amp, you really don't need another player nor amp

Plus it's small. Honestly, I find clunky portable amps rather pointless with these players around at similar prices amps are priced at. They provide minimal improvements, mostly just volume

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #38 of 64
But what the Cowon lacks is a browser and the many apps an iPod touch has. If he already has a touch which has a browser, apps, email, on and on and on, then why get a whole other player when all one needs is a decent amp? I think for most of us with a limited budget and not too huge on music, it is a much better deal to get a music player like an iPod with all of the non-music capabilities it has, and just get an amp with it if needed. It would seem wasteful in my mind to get a music-only device like that and then use the iPod for everything but music...

Quote:
Its a player and I have never needed an amp for it. The built in amp is excellent. I never needed an amp for the HFI 580 to push it to major basshead junkie levels. Ipod has always been inadequate however. If you have the Cowon it's EQ abilities alone is worth the price. Add everything else it provides, expandable memory, many readable file formats, easy file organization, powerful amp, you really don't need another player nor amp

Plus it's small. Honestly, I find clunky portable amps rather pointless with these players around at similar prices amps are priced at. They provide minimal improvements, mostly just volume

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #39 of 64
But what the Cowon lacks is a browser and the many apps an iPod touch has. If he already has a touch which has a browser, apps, email, on and on and on, then why get a whole other player when all one needs is a decent amp? I think for most of us with a limited budget and not too huge on music, it is a much better deal to get a music player like an iPod with all of the non-music capabilities it has, and just get an amp with it if needed. It would seem wasteful in my mind to get a music-only device like that and then use the iPod for everything but music...

Yea the Cowon costs more, but if you factor in that the Cowon is smaller than portable amps, we can't really argue convenience anymore. The Cowon is a much better deal than getting an amp that has almost no benefits and is bigger. You'd probably have to use the Cowon to believe how much better it is than the Ipod is or even many computer players. I preferred the Cowon over my full size rig most of the time back when I was a major basshead. I still havent found a computer player that can do what the Cowon does

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #41 of 64
Yeah, well I just bought a 64gb 4g Ipod touch for all my music and digital copies of my blu rays.  I don't have any intention on replacing that for the cowon j3, however I'm sure it's a great media player.  Just seems like a waste.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #42 of 64
Yeah, well I just bought a 64gb 4g Ipod touch for all my music and digital copies of my blu rays.  I don't have any intention on replacing that for the cowon j3, however I'm sure it's a great media player.  Just seems like a waste.

I did say expandable memory. I do think it's more of a waste to have to settle with an ipod mediocre sound options and distortion packed eq presets. I do have an Iphone/ipod, but there is just no way to justify settling with ipod sound IMO

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #43 of 64
Exactly, and you failed to acknowledge all the reasons one might want to stick with an ipod, wind016. I use the internet browser, email, tons and tons of apps and sweet games, I'm sure the OP uses all of the functions too. It isn't really worth it to spend another stack of cash on something that just does one thing well, music. Maybe if I didn't care for mobile email, internet, thousands of apps, etc and all I wanted was great music functions then I would get the Cowon. But with all the iPod touch packs, it's tough to beat, especially when all you need is a decent portable amp to go with it.

Quote:

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #45 of 64
But I was saying there is no need to have two music players when all you need is a decent amp to go with one. What's he supposed to do in an airport for instance, listen to music on the cowon in one hand and browse with the ipod in the other hand? It just seems less of hassle to just pair the iPod with an amp instead of a whole new music player.

Quote:
I don't understand your reasoning. How does getting a Cowon remove his Ipod internet browsing? I was suggesting a Cowon over a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back