Basshead dissapointed with Ultrasone HFI 580s. Need help.
Feb 20, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 64
how about Thunderpants?
o2smile.gif

Quote:
If the XB aren't enough bass for you then you're only option are the Darth Beyers. If they aren't enough bass then your subwoofers have surely shaken your brain up too much.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #17 of 64

Quote:
If the XB aren't enough bass for you then you're only option are the Darth Beyers. If they aren't enough bass then your subwoofers have surely shaken your brain up too much.

Yeah, unfortunately that is probably true.  I've had two 12" subs in every car since I was 10yrs old.  I even have some damage in my right ear because of it.  I just don't see myself dropping the coin to buy those cans, and then have them "Darth'd".  Especially after buying the Ultrasones a few weeks ago. 

I wouldn't mind buying the XB-700s since they're like 74 dollars on amazon.  But if they're not much of a difference from the XB-500s I wouldn't even bother.

Do you guys think the Cmoy 2.03 will get me anywhere with the Ultrasones, or a better amp?  Also does anybody have a comparison of the XB-700s vs the HFI 580s as far as bass goes?

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #18 of 64
The Cmoy 2.03 should do it honestly. The website reports around like 9 dB of bass increase, that's massive. I have the crossfades which are much more bass heavy than your 580's and I'm hesitant to get the cmoy 2.03 because the bass might just blow my ears off. I would imagine it would be perfect for you though. The Fiio E5 for instance, with bass boost turned on, has about 3 dB increase.  The Cmoy has about 3x as much as that. I can't imagine needing much more than that without completely ruining the sound quality.

Quote:

Yeah, unfortunately that is probably true.  I've had two 12" subs in every car since I was 10yrs old.  I even have some damage in my right ear because of it.  I just don't see myself dropping the coin to buy those cans, and then have them "Darth'd".  Especially after buying the Ultrasones a few weeks ago. 

I wouldn't mind buying the XB-700s since they're like 74 dollars on amazon.  But if they're not much of a difference from the XB-500s I wouldn't even bother.

Do you guys think the Cmoy 2.03 will get me anywhere with the Ultrasones, or a better amp?  Also does anybody have a comparison of the XB-700s vs the HFI 580s as far as bass goes?

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #22 of 64

Quote:
wow.. did no one notice my post suggesting thunerpants?  

They don't know what you are talking about is all.  The problem is when someone says, "I want excellent bass".  That means a millions things to different people.  Just go try everything Bass focused at Best Buy and return what you don't like.  Then go from there.  

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 64

Quote:
wow.. did no one notice my post suggesting thunerpants?  

Sorry, thought that was some sort of sexual reference lol.  I found the thread you made previously about them, and they seem very nice.  But also seems like a lot of work to do a DIY(work, kids, wife, gym, cars, who has the time for that?), and somewhat pricey to me to have them built(plus the wait time, I'm flying out to Ohio Sunday).

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 64
I would return them if I were you, and buy some another headphones such as XB500 or XB700 as suggested by others. If not, buy the Cmoy BB. But there is no gaurantee that your HFI 580 will be able to handle that much bass without distortion. Maybe someone wih HFI 580 and the Cmoy amp can chime in here.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #25 of 64
I would return them if I were you, and buy some another headphones such as XB500 or XB700 as suggested by others. If not, buy the Cmoy BB. But there is no gaurantee that your HFI 580 will be able to handle that much bass without distortion. Maybe someone wih HFI 580 and the Cmoy amp can chime in here.

Highly misinformed post but I understand your reasoning. The HFI 580 has the highest bass impact potential I've ever heard on a headphone. Using my Cowon's BBE, I can push the 580's and the XB700's bass to maximum. Whereas the XB700 easily became distorted rather fast since it wasn't a detailed headphone in the first place, the 580 had surprising clarity. The maximum bass impact is slightly below the maximum of the XB700. We are talking maximum here so it is already too much bass to enjoy music with. You just need a good linear phase equalizer like BBE

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #26 of 64

Quote:
Highly misinformed post but I understand your reasoning. The HFI 580 has the highest bass impact potential I've ever heard on a headphone. Using my Cowon's BBE, I can push the 580's and the XB700's bass to maximum. Whereas the XB700 easily became distorted rather fast since it wasn't a detailed headphone in the first place, the 580 had surprising clarity. The maximum bass impact is slightly below the maximum of the XB700. We are talking maximum here so it is already too much bass to enjoy music with. You just need a good linear phase equalizer like BBE

How would that be misinformed when I disclaimed that I wasn't sure about the 580s? From what I saw from the FR graph, it looks like 580 will have similar bass level to XB700 but less midbass than XB500, with Cmoy's 9.4 dB Bass Boost enabled. I never said 580 won't be able to produce that much bass, but just that until someone like you come into the discussion I needed to throw in a caveat.

Note that I said "no guarantee", not "no way". There is a huge difference. One is a possibility; while another is certainty.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #27 of 64

How would that be misinformed when I disclaimed that I wasn't sure about the 580s? From what I saw from the FR graph, it looks like 580 will have similar bass level to XB700 but less midbass than XB500, with Cmoy's 9.4 dB Bass Boost enabled. I never said 580 won't be able to produce that much bass, but just that until someone like you come into the discussion I needed to throw in a caveat.

Note that I said "no guarantee", not "no way". There is a huge difference. One is a possibility; while another is certainty.

My post wasn't meant to criticize. Sorry if it seemed that way. I'm just typing on my iphone during a really quick break to get main ideas out. I'm pretty tired right now : /

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #28 of 64

Quote:

The 580 driver is definitely superior to the XB700 driver technically.  No question.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #29 of 64

Quote:
 Are you guys thinking the Sony XB-500 have bass with a amp?  Maybe I'm missing something but the display at Best Buy made me laugh at them, with their claim of Xtra Bass.  I believe the 500s only have a 30 mm driver.  The XB-700 has a 50mm driver but I haven't heard it in person.

Best-Buy is known for using some really crappy source that shows no justice for any headphone. They should be significantly bassier than HFI-580 and they don't need any amping at all as they are among the easiest driven headphones. XB500 uses 40mm driver and I have a hard time believing you'd find anything bassier out there (they are also bassier than big brother XB700), Thunderpants or heavily modded BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro/80 might have similar quantity but I can't imagine them having more because I fail to see how you could price any headphone at $500 if they had more bass than this and that's coming from a basshead. :p If you even boost bass on an EQ a little on XB500 it provides enough air pressure for you to actually physically feel the bass tickling your ears (at volumes I'd concider the mids & highs be at normal listening volume levels), I yet haven't read about other headphones being able to do this (probably because of fear of getting sued from angry mothers complaining how the headphones ruined their children's hearing :p).

I wish I was able to demo you what XB500 can do paired with an Audigy 2 ZS card using kX Audio drivers which are excellent if you like good quality bass (but also possibility to boost the bass almost endlessly without introducing distortion, we're probably talking about up to 30dB boosts or so whereas your hearing would be at great danger if you'd turn up volume in order to also hear the mids/highs :p).

EDIT: On a 2nd thought you're using an ipod (eugh) so you might want an amp in that case, maybe buy one with bass boost capabilities to be on the safe side.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #30 of 64
Psssst... you there! I see you're shaking and foaming at the mouth for that final fix of deep dark bass. If you're ready to take the plunge and submit to the dark there is only one solution. Remember that there is no way back. No way... *thunder*

You ready? 

1. Get a good, Rockboxable player like the Cowon X5L, Sansa Fuze, Sansa Clip etc. 
2. Get familiar with the Rockbox parametric EQ. Try to achieve an EQ-curve like this example
3. Buy the Sony XB700
4. slightly dampen the area around the driver with Dynamat/Blu/putty whatever you have available in your country
5. if you are serious about your addiction, buy a bassboosting amp. The best portable I heard is the Headstage Arrow 12HE, set bassboost on +2
6. Download/buy Broken Note's "Terminal Static"
7. Close your eyes.
8. Thank me (after being able to function again lying in the hospital for 3 months because of bass-induced coma)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back