Basshead dissapointed with Ultrasone HFI 580s. Need help.
Feb 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

keikdasneek

New Head-Fier
Well, I recently bought the Ultrasone 580s on reviews of their excellent bass.  But once they arrived I was dissapointed.  Yes, they are good headphones, and they produce very tight bass.  But they are not overpowering at all.  I have them connected to my 64gb 4g ipod touch, with a Fiio E5, using the ipods EQ.  Which I'm sure is probably not the best way to amp/eq these cans.

I guess I'm looking for a set of headphones that deliver overpowering bass.  I know most people on here do not like this type of style, and prefer a set of cans that are very balanced.  But to me, all I care about is bass.  The lyrics, the little nuances of the melody all mean nothing to me if there is no pounding bass.  Not really too concerned with a "muddy" bass or a "sloppy" bass, or if the bass overpowers the mids and highs.  With the E5 I can get the 580s to vibrate a little bit.  But I want more, at low volumes the bass is pretty non exsistant and I have to crank the volume so high to hear the bass I love, that the mids and highs start to hurt my ears after a while.

The only music I listen to is trance, techno, high energy, hip hop(hyphy/southern crunk beats), even competition bass cds.  Artists like Afrojack, Designer Drugs, E40, Lil John etc.  I enjoy many different types of music, but those are all I listen to on my ipod for the most part.

Also, the majority of the listening of the headphones have been on a airplane, and I can't even hear the bass at all.  I know the Ultrasones aren't noise canceling or anything, but that is still dissapointing.

I've been doing more research and saw that the Sony MDR-XB700s seem to fit what I'm looking for.  But I'm weary that they are both 50mm drivers and wouldn't be much of a upgrade over the 580s I have.  The MDR-XB1000s look intriguing but aren't out yet, and I'm looking for some cans to get me through the next 6 weeks of traveling for work.

Any suggestions for a overpowering bass can, or a better way to power the 580s?  Would like a closed can, minimal sound leak, noise cancelation is a plus, comfortable.

BTW, I love a clear well balanced sound as much as the next guy.  But I love bass, always have, always will.  You can't help who/what you love.

Edit:  Didn't realize I was in the portable amp forum when I decided to make a thread.  Hopefully a moderator can move it.  Sorry.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 64
If you really don't care about anything but bass well I guess you can look here: http://www.headphile.com/page8.html
If you don't have the money for the mod now, you can buy a pair of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro80-Closed-Studio-Headphones?sku=272025
They have more bass response than the Ultrasones, and when you get the money for the mod I linked first, you will "save money" by sending these in, providing your own cans.

Those are the highest bass headphones I've heard of. That or you can go Beats I guess, since you only care about the bass.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 64

Quote:
If you really don't care about anything but bass well I guess you can look here: http://www.headphile.com/page8.html
If you don't have the money for the mod now, you can buy a pair of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro80-Closed-Studio-Headphones?sku=272025
They have more bass response than the Ultrasones, and when you get the money for the mod I linked first, you will "save money" by sending these in, providing your own cans.

Those are the highest bass headphones I've heard of. That or you can go Beats I guess, since you only care about the bass.

The Beats didn't sound better than the Ultrasones in the bass department.

Quote:
OP have you ever thought of buying a pair of subwoofers and just taping them to your head? You'll probably be satisfied then..

I actually tried this, but for some reason my neck couldn't support the added weight. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 64
The beats have more bass, but it's crappy bass. You're best bet, like I said though, is to get the Beyerdynamic Dt770 Pro 80ohm version, it's important you get the Pro 80ohm, no other version. They are probably one of the heaviest bass headphones there are, and once you get the money you can upgrade them to the Darth Beyers which have been compared to "subwoofers on your head."

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 64
Yeah that's a common problem, what you wanna do is get a nice large, wooden table (tall enough that you can sit/stand under it). After that cut a hole in the middle of the table large enough to fit your head comfortably. Place the subwoofers so that each of them are facing your ear (if you really want crazy ass bass go for 4 subwoofers and place them all around your head.).

Put on your favorite bass heavy hippity hop track (I recommend Big Boi's Tangerine) and enjoy.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 64
Phiaton MS400, Sony XB500, V-Moda Crossfade come to my mind when thinking of your needs. I had the M50's and thought that bass was weak and they have only a bit less bass than the 580's. I was also swindled into buying them like you when all these people told me they had "huge bass". If you want the biggest bass possible, get the XB500's ($50) or wait for the XB1000 if you're willing to pay a lot more. I didn't like the look of the Sonys so I got the Crossfades. They look sweet and definitely have a ton of bass. Listening to Basshunter or Lil Wayne is amazing. I also have the E5 and with that bass boost turned on it's even more crazy. Return those 580's, I highly doubt any amount of burn in or amping will give out enough bass. Also, don't use the EQ on the ipod, the bass boost one for example makes it sound worse and decreases the bass quality, especially if you are using the bass boost on the E5 while doing it.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 64
i feel like a spokesperson b/c i say this to every basshead seeking refuge, but its true... nothing does bass like Thunderpants.  In my humble and maybe not the most experienced in the world opinion... There is none higher for bass.  If you have $500ish to spend you wont be dissapointed... not to mention the are phenomenal sounding cans all around...

i skimmed some responses and saw he word beats... beats have laughable bass, in both quantity and quality.. dont go there.  I can get FAR more bass out of my $50 Klipsch s4 IEM's than i could ever get from beats.

good luck

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 64
I think it may not be possible to get the same "pounding, vibrating bass" that a subwoofer makes with cans. Depending on how you are used to listening to music, sub-bass is really about feeling the vibrations with the rest of you body, not just your ears. One thing you can try is running a 12" sub at the same time as you listen to music through headphones.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 64
I was looking at buying a Cmoy 2.02 because it has a 6 dB increase with bass boost switched on (Fiio E5 only has 3.5 dB increase and it isn't enogh). 6 dB seems perfect but the 2.02 is no longer available. The 2.03 is the only one available and with the bass boost turned on it has a whopping 9 dB increase. That seems a bit too much and like it will blow the other frequencies out of proportion.

Quote:
buy an better amp. a cmoy with bass boost should work.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 64

Quote:

i skimmed some responses and saw he word beats... beats have laughable bass, in both quantity and quality.. dont go there.  I can get FAR more bass out of my $50 Klipsch s4 IEM's than i could ever get from beats.

The Beats were in jest.

Quote:
I think it may not be possible to get the same "pounding, vibrating bass" that a subwoofer makes with cans. Depending on how you are used to listening to music, sub-bass is really about feeling the vibrations with the rest of you body, not just your ears. One thing you can try is running a 12" sub at the same time as you listen to music through headphones.

The Darth Beyers are said to be "subwoofers on your head." I've talked to a guy who owns them and he said they are only good for bass heavy music. 

Quote:
Phiaton MS400, Sony XB500, V-Moda Crossfade come to my mind when thinking of your needs. I had the M50's and thought that bass was weak and they have only a bit less bass than the 580's. I was also swindled into buying them like you when all these people told me they had "huge bass". If you want the biggest bass possible, get the XB500's ($50) or wait for the XB1000 if you're willing to pay a lot more. I didn't like the look of the Sonys so I got the Crossfades. They look sweet and definitely have a ton of bass. Listening to Basshunter or Lil Wayne is amazing. I also have the E5 and with that bass boost turned on it's even more crazy. Return those 580's, I highly doubt any amount of burn in or amping will give out enough bass. Also, don't use the EQ on the ipod, the bass boost one for example makes it sound worse and decreases the bass quality, especially if you are using the bass boost on the E5 while doing it.

The Sony XB500 certainly are nothing but bass, forgot about them.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 64

Quote:

The Beats were in jest.

The Darth Beyers are said to be "subwoofers on your head." I've talked to a guy who owns them and he said they are only good for bass heavy music. 

The Sony XB500 certainly are nothing but bass, forgot about them.

Are you guys thinking the Sony XB-500 have bass with a amp?  Maybe I'm missing something but the display at Best Buy made me laugh at them, with their claim of Xtra Bass.  I believe the 500s only have a 30 mm driver.  The XB-700 has a 50mm driver but I haven't heard it in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back