Basshead dissapointed with Ultrasone HFI 580s. Need help.
Feb 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #61 of 64
Well if you want to keep the iPod which is perfectly understandable then I'd do following:

1) Try out the EQu and see if it's able to boost the bass to the point you're satisfied without introducing distortion. If it can't there's also another "Equalizer" app or whatever, you should find it if you do a search for "equalizer" in the appstore I think but it looks like EQu is the better of the two. Or then Rockbox that was mentioned.

Then if the solution above won't work which is the cheapest and easiest solution you have the following choices:

- Buy an amp with bass boost, the one mentioned before, Headstage Arrow 12HE is among your far best choices but it's not very cheap but it does seem to provide a very great bass boost that few amps can match. You may want to take a look at http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/04/headstage-arrow-12he-headphone-amplifier-review/ - check especially the graph demonstrating the frequency response at the different settings. We're talking some serious amount bass boosts here, up to 9dB and 3.5dB or so at the respective settings, 3dB is whereabouts concidered twice as loud, 9dB would be roughly 4x times as loud!

- Buy another headphone.

However if you're satisfied with how the Ultrasone HFI-580 sounds like except for the lack of bass quantity obviously then the last option might not be the best.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #62 of 64

Quote:
Well if you want to keep the iPod which is perfectly understandable then I'd do following:

1) Try out the EQu and see if it's able to boost the bass to the point you're satisfied without introducing distortion. If it can't there's also another "Equalizer" app or whatever, you should find it if you do a search for "equalizer" in the appstore I think but it looks like EQu is the better of the two. Or then Rockbox that was mentioned.

Then if the solution above won't work which is the cheapest and easiest solution you have the following choices:

- Buy an amp with bass boost, the one mentioned before, Headstage Arrow 12HE is among your far best choices but it's not very cheap but it does seem to provide a very great bass boost that few amps can match. You may want to take a look at http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/04/headstage-arrow-12he-headphone-amplifier-review/ - check especially the graph demonstrating the frequency response at the different settings. We're talking some serious amount bass boosts here, up to 9dB and 3.5dB or so at the respective settings, 3dB is whereabouts concidered twice as loud, 9dB would be roughly 4x times as loud!

- Buy another headphone.

However if you're satisfied with how the Ultrasone HFI-580 sounds like except for the lack of bass quantity obviously then the last option might not be the best.

Wow, I got the XB-500s.  They have a lot of bass, more so than the ultrasones.  I did download the EQu and its okay.  I easily distort both headphones with it, but got it tweaked for ultimate bass. 

I like the sony's but they have way too much sound leak for me to feel comfortable on a airplane. I also feel like they could use some more clamping force as well. 

So far for the money these sony's are great, of course as a basshead I want more bass.  But I'm content for now.  The e5 seems to push them good enough for now.  My wife can't wear them on some songs, because the bass is too loud.

The Ultrasones are louder, as far as treble.  And are overall more crisp.  But after wearing the xbs and going to the ultrasones, makes you think the ultrasones aren't plugged in all the way or something lol.

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #63 of 64
I also thought even the bass monster Crossfade's didn't have as much bass as I expected. Much more bass than the M50 but still. I guess at some point we have to realize these more expensive headphones aren't going to have the bass we are used to in our cars with huge subs lol. Quality over quantity to some degree.
tongue.gif

Quote:
 Wow, I got the XB-500s.  They have a lot of bass, more so than the ultrasones.  I did download the EQu and its okay.  I easily distort both headphones with it, but got it tweaked for ultimate bass. 

I like the sony's but they have way too much sound leak for me to feel comfortable on a airplane. I also feel like they could use some more clamping force as well. 

So far for the money these sony's are great, of course as a basshead I want more bass.  But I'm content for now.  The e5 seems to push them good enough for now.  My wife can't wear them on some songs, because the bass is too loud.

The Ultrasones are louder, as far as treble.  And are overall more crisp.  But after wearing the xbs and going to the ultrasones, makes you think the ultrasones aren't plugged in all the way or something lol.

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #64 of 64
Quote:
I also thought even the bass monster Crossfade's didn't have as much bass as I expected. Much more bass than the M50 but still. I guess at some point we have to realize these more expensive headphones aren't going to have the bass we are used to in our cars with huge subs lol. Quality over quantity to some degree.
tongue.gif

From what I recall, the Crossfades don't have the bass impact potential of the HFI 580s. They sound bassier unequalized. However, equalized, their maximum limit is below the HFI 580s and on top of that, more clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back