BASSHEAD AUDIOPHILES portable reviews: Victor HP-FX500, UE5EB, FS1, EX-85
Mar 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #31 of 61
Check out the benchmark tests for the Super-Fi EB's.Some of the naysayers will be surprised.Product Review
ph34r.gif
The whole comparison review.http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #32 of 61
Great review here, thanks.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #34 of 61
Hi, did you guys ever tried iGrados with an iRiver Hxxx or with an amped Sandisk Sansa (both rockboxed)? Not only bass - the overall sound is incredible.

Love it more than my Shure SE530.

weinlig

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #35 of 61
Not considering myself a hardcore basshead, but nevertheless loving deep punchy bass, I might throw in the Philips SHE9800. They have 13.5mm drivers, great soundstage, rather U-shaped frequency response. Amongst my bass heavier IEMs (IE8, Atrios, X10, FX500) they have the biggest bass impact IMO without sounding bloated. I love them with Jazz, Funk, Trip-Hop and also with orchestral classical music.

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might throw in the Philips SHE9800. They have 13.5mm drivers, great soundstage, rather U-shaped frequency response. Amongst my bass heavier IEMs (IE8, Atrios, X10, FX500) they have the biggest bass impact IMO without sounding bloated. I love them with Jazz, Funk, Trip-Hop and also with orchestral classical music.

Seriously? More impact than the IE8s? Sounds like something I need to try.

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #39 of 61
Thanks for the great review brunoampm! I know you haven't been around for a while, but I find your perspective as a self-proclaimed basshead both unique and refreshing. You are a valuable asset to this community!

Anyway, for all you bassheads out there, I'm wondering how the new Audio-Technica "Solid Bass" series will turn out. AFAIK, AT canalphones tend to be somewhat bass-shy/neutral, so it will be interesting to see how these will perform.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...-cks70-425716/ [/shameless thread plug]

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great review brunoampm! I know you haven't been around for a while, but I find your perspective as a self-proclaimed basshead both unique and refreshing. You are a valuable asset to this community!

Anyway, for all you bassheads out there, I'm wondering how the new Audio-Technica "Solid Bass" series will turn out. AFAIK, AT canalphones tend to be somewhat bass-shy/neutral, so it will be interesting to see how these will perform.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...-cks70-425716/ [/shameless thread plug]

I'll be in Tokyo on the day the CKS70 are released and I'm thinking of picking up a pair then. I'll definitely post up a review if I do.

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #41 of 61
That's great DTKZ! Can't wait for your impressions.

I find the design to be very interesting, particularly the nozzle, which lets you mount the tips in two locations. The shape of the canalphone doesn't look too comfortable, however... Hopefully, that isn't the case.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #42 of 61
I have the HP910's and bought them for around $60 Canadian.I gotta say they are a great value.Very comfortable with velour pads and super light.Very good bass,good highs and mids.But the best part of these cans is the soundtstage.Very good depth.My Q40's(Bassmasters!) are my favourite but these are second,Portaptro's third and finally my SR80s.In fact i like them more then the DT770's that i sold.The only con is build quality,which i haven't had any problems with.But ever since i got my beloved Atrios(IEM Bassmasters!) recently,i haven't been listening to fullsized cans as much.Probably because they have that fullsized sound.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by brunoampm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello I will make a mini-review because I don’t have enough time to write.

I am a basshead-audiophile in a search for strong deep bass-perfect mids- soft precise highs in a IEM, to block outside noise, get portability and comfort.

I have UE5EB, FS1, EX-85 (modded to increase bass) and now Victor HP-FX500. No one deliver “real life, hi-fi woofer speaker”, but close.

The FX500 was my last hope for strong clean precise deep bass in a IEM. I mean, thunder clean bass, like subwoofer shacking bones. See my brief mini review at the bottom.

The best of the above is EX-85 MODDED. Get THUNDER DEEP bass, CLEAN AND FAST, but with NATURAL reverberation with this. I think it is better than Ex-90 because the bass from plastic housing just “reverberates and resonates” more like subwoofer speakers (12´), than the metal, including the bones of ear, I mean, tactile effect. You can trust, the bass from EX-85 MODDED is VERY CLEAN AND PRECISE, for strong basshead, almost perfect, besides the coloration (shape of bass sound) drowning badly the low-mids, but equalization with an Iaudio (I use F2 and X5) solves a little of it. The modd must be complete (put some tape on the vents).

My EQ from F2 and Ex-85 modded is BBE1, machbass 9, EQ 12,2,3,-5,10. It can look strange, but Ex-85 modded is strange sound, far from flat.

My Victor HP-FX500 Brief Mini review
(from basshead audiophile perspective, I mean, in very Hi-fi technical perspective):
(THIS IS A GREAT EARPHONE, BUT I AM OBSESSIVE IN PERFECTION)

Sub-bass: Weakest point, doesn’t reverberate, not enough loud, not enough deep, not enough tactile.
Mid-bass: plenty of, but a little harmonic distortion. Sometimes sound like DON DON instead of BUM BUM.
High bass (upper bass): not detailed enough, but great. A little congested.

Low-mids: ok, but could be louder.
Mid-mids: great! Clean, dark feeling, but detailed and no harmonic distortion. Just a little dark (laid-back).
High-mids: A little harmonic distortion, can sound harsh, splash, but still reasonable fast and precise . It is just ok if lowering EQ.

Low-highs: soft and detailed, but dark. Could be a little more up-front.
Mid-highs: Great, but not excellent! Soft, extended and detailed as I like, with long decay.
High-highs: Soft, long decay but detailed and smooth. Great!

NOW the others:

UE5EB: just great bass, but can be bloated and congested. Not deep, tactile enough. Not layered enough. Reasonable mids and piercing highs (for my sensitive ears).
FS1: worst disappoint ever, worst midrange, not worth consideration
Sony MDR-E848: THE BEST HEADPHONE I HAVE EVER HAD AND LISTENED. THERE IS A TRICK FOR PERFECT SEAL. HI-FI BASS, MIDS AND HIGHS. TOTAL STUDIO DISCO CLUB, EARS AND BONES EMOTIONAL ACTIVE!!! NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION. VERY RARE. BURNING-IN JUST GET BETTER. IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THIS, PLEASE CONTACT ME
smily_headphones1.gif
))
iems.jpg

which one had the most bass
my current fav iem is the ue5eb,, liked it way more than westone 3 triplefi10,,,, now im off to try the atrio m5
smily_headphones1.gif
i considered the ie8,, but learned the bass knob does indeed distort if turned more than half way up
frown.gif
just what ive heard!!
i never even hear dof your fav the ex 85 modded who makes those?
i ve wasted so much money on iem trying to surpass the ue5eb my all time fav,,, i should of just got the atrio, and then id have enough for the dx1000
smily_headphones1.gif

let meknow what u think

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by brunoampm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Superfi 5EB, known as the best strong bass for the basshead on the go, and it didn´t made my day, anyday... it is congested, both lows and mids. And it is weaker on sub-bass than Ex-85 modded!!! But still, all of them are worst than E848, well sealed, trick position, 4 years of burning-in.... total hi-fi bass!

im guessing you didnt let your ue5eb fully burn,,,, i love mine so very much
and it took a while for them to even out iprefer them hands down to westone 3 and even triplefi 10 which im wearing right now,, my ten have a mic and unfortunatley the ue5eb donot come with one and sadly i hear they are being discontinued
frown.gif

i so hope that ue will make a triplefi 10 EB,, that would be boss!

also what is the e848 and ex 85 do they really have loweer bass than the ue5eb and how bout compared to the atrio m5, which is next on my list
thanks
trick position????????

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #45 of 61
YOU MUST EQ YOUR EARBUDS WITH IAUDIO (OR ANY OTHER DEVICE/SOFTWARE WITH GREAT NO DISTORTION EQ): IT IS ALL ABOUT INCREASE THE SUB-BASS FREQS (20-80 HZ), LOWERING DOW A LOT THE OTHERS (NEGATIVE VALUES) AND INCREASE HIGHS AND TOTAL VOLUME. NOT ALL PHONES CAN HANDLE IT, BUT GREAT EARBUDS WITH LARGE DRIVES CAN!!! YOU WILL GET THE REAL LIFE SOUND THAT VERY FEW PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD KNOWS HOW TO ARCHIVE. WITH IAUDIO DAP, TAKE SOMETING LIKE THIS ON THE 5 BAND EQ: +12, +4, -6, -2, -1. OFF COURSE IT DEPENDS ON THE EARBUD YOU ARE LISTENING TO. YOU HAVE TO BE SENSITIVE AND TRUST AND TRY TO SHAPE THE SOUND TO HIGH-FIDELITY. IT IS AN ART. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back