BASSHEAD AUDIOPHILES portable reviews: Victor HP-FX500, UE5EB, FS1, EX-85
Jan 29, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 61
am i resurrecting an ooold thread? two down in one day! i loved the c700 and the fx500: together they would be great if only they were each a bit smaller but with wider driver. if they could be 11mm drivers, i think the bass would be much more controlled, approaching atrio levels at least in the fx500. lovely lovely phones really

op: you a justice fan? me too

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 61
love Justice
evil_smiley.gif
I wonder if you can actually be called an audiophile when your mission is to create overwhelming and inflated bass that is totally unnatural. IE8 with the bass knob turned all the way up should do you nicely though. if they or the M8 dont do it for you and you cany justify UE11 then I would def go to fullsize cans if that is what you want. DT770 or D2000-D5000

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #18 of 61
haha no! not more bass, more control with less boom. the atrio have still among all the iems i have heard the most natural bass i have heard. they are not as bassy as some others but because of the size of the driver, they deliver a rumble, not a boom. i like the rumble. just i did not like the echo sound that came from them when listening to trance.

i love justice...

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #19 of 61
Just thought I'd throw my 2p in here. I'm also a little bit of a basshead, though probably not quite as much
biggrin.gif
and I've also got the UE5EBs, love them, however I also went ahead and got the Atrio M8 (same as M5, just blue) and I must say I agree with all the positive stuff that's been said about them. I find the bass to be more controlled and detailed than the EBs, maybe not quite as 'thunderous' but definitely better and with much better mids & vocals IMO. I find them stunning for the price. If you like the EBs I'd really encourage you to give the Atrios a shot, i love them
atsmile.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 61
Yesterday I bought the new Sony “XtraBass” MDR-XB40EX, when it arrives I will make a review.
One thing to be considered for perfect strong bass: the ear bones shaking. That’s why I believe an earphone will never have the same tactile effect of (belive it) an OLD CLASSIC SONY 16mm EARBUD (WELL POSITIONED), my reference, E-848 burned-in. It is the best period for ultra deep bass, and perfect gold-liquid detailed smooth clean precise mids and highs.
I want to buy the MDR-E931LP available in Japan :
Versão traduzida de http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/headphone/product.cfm?PD=13927&KM=MDR-E931LP

I think they have the same drive as the old E848, and they are better than the king E888 because of the natural beloved hump on low-mids and more durable on sub-bass all up.
Have anyone heard that?
Other thing: all sound MUST be equalized for a portable bass audiophile audition. An Iaudio dap and sometimes FIIO amp helps.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #22 of 61
MY SONY MDR-XB40EX REVIEW: BAD BASS EARPHONES

First, it is a pain to use, so it is useless. The comfort is tragic. They are super heavy because of the huge size and the extra metal body that serves for nothing but stupid marketing. The new silicone anti-noise earbuds hurts the ear with that plastic inside and helps nothing for isolation, that is very poor. It is impossible to think how they transformed the most comfortable earphones for me (traditional ex-series) in one of the most uncomfortable.
Bass are bloated and congested. It doesn’t extend as deep and layered as the 5EB. Just tons of midupperbass alltogether and some bloated monotone low-bass. Now I like much more my 5EB and my EX-85 modded (just close the air vents with tape). Those have hi-fi bass in comparison.
The highs are mediocre, recessed and with harmonic distortion on the low-highs, giving that sshhhhsssss tones, sibilance. Can’t fix it with EQ.
Please, don’t spend your money with this, it is all about marketing stuff from Sony. They make some marvelous headphones, but this MDR-XB40EX is really bad.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...phones-410922/

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 61
I found Sony MDR-EX85LP for $30 including shipping, "refurbished by Sony with limited warranty" on ebay.Are these the same ones the same ones you guys are praising?13.5mm drivers!!Wow!

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found Sony MDR-EX85LP for $30 including shipping, "refurbished by Sony with limited warranty" on ebay.Are these the same ones the same ones you guys are praising?

I suppose that depends on whether they're fake or not. Ebay's not the best place for canalphones these days. Link?

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 61
Well i think i bought the right IEM's!I just ordered the Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 5 Pro EB's for $160 including shipping off ebay.With Paypal of course.Judging by the reviews i think i bought some awesome IEM's with the right kind of bass to satisfy me.I never thought i would pay that much for IEM's.But the Head-fi Venus Flytrap like creature took hold of another victim!
wink.gif
Can't wait to hear them!

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #26 of 61
Mar 7, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #27 of 61
i think my bass-headness is fading away... i used to use my 85s on a bass booster... then went to a rock eq on my ipod... now i actually use no eq most of the time or some bass heavy songs get a treble boost (very rare though..), bass weak songs get the acoustic eq.... i like the bass of the 85 without the mod... with the mod its just overkill if you still wanna hear the cymbals and snare and what not and not just the kickdrum and bass guitar.. maybe for hip hop and stuff the mod would help... but not for metal/jazz/rock

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #29 of 61
Mar 21, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #30 of 61
I am loving my new Super-Fi EB's especially with rock.I guess amping does improve the overall dynamics.But the more burn in the better they sound.I'm using an ALO Mini^3 to pump them.And boy do they go loud!I can see how some bass heavy songs may be unbalanced.They sound great with all genres of music.But a good quality mp3 is reproduced with great detail,and and highs and mids are more than audible with great dynamics.Drums and all other instruments sound fantastic!I think most of the negative reviews are written before proper burn in.To me they are keepers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back