BASS
Mar 17, 2003 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
WHAT BASS WILL GIVE ME BASS LIKE NO OTHER BASS EVER BEFORE!

I WANT MORE BASS THAN BASS CAN GIVE

Enough about Bass already. That is not the "MOST" important part of a set of cans.

you know, it's like What about detail? any harsh sibilence? Soundstage? Midrange? Transparency? How about impact? How about Accurate BASS!?

we live in a society where people think Mid-bass = good.
thanks to movie theatre's, hip hop music, and Pop music.
AS well AS DAMNED 15" SUBWOOFERS IN THE BACK OF CIVICS
GRRR !!!!

lol

Mar 17, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 31
Bill, I think he's on a rant about bass.....he's not asking for advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Enough about Bass already. That is not the "MOST" important part of a set of cans.

I'm with you on that one. Before I ever let my friends listen to my W1000, I make sure that they understand that my goal isn't to achieve "big bass". In reality, I think the W1000 has "better" bass than anything else I've heard, but their idea of good bass doesn't correspond to mine. Instead of ridiculing them, I just present it as "agree to disagree." Of course, everyone who has heard my setup usually says "Wow, that's the best sound I have ever heard" or something to that effect, so perhaps bass becomes a moot point when it's all good.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 31
Maybe not the most important for you, but for others you can't say. Although I agree it's not the most important thing, good bass is an important criteria for my cans. I'm not ashamed to admit that I like good bass. I also like a great soundstage, lots of detail and good highs too. Head Fi is a great community but I think that some people here can be a little too judgemental. Music and how we are listen is all very subjectional. My younger brother thinks that 128k MP3s are hi-fi. When he listens to my hi-fi stuff, he knows that it sounds good, but I really don't think he can tell that much of a difference. Sure, I could probably teach him, but my point is that everybody loves something different. 6 months ago, I was happy with my crappy little Sony headphones. Now, I'm a full blown addict like all the others around here. Cut some slack.

Mar 17, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 31
I agree completely that it's a result of action movies and rap music. I'm sure some people come here asking for mega super shake-my-liver-loose bass because they just heard their first decent set of headphones, and didn't know you could get a reasonable amount of bass from something less than 8" in diameter. I used to think the same thing...then I put on my Porta Pros and laughed in disbelief as I turned the bass down on the cd player.

I listen to a lot of thrash and power metal. The bass guitar and drums on some of those songs are wonderful, like some Iron Maiden and Falconer songs. Pop and rap music has a one-note bass through the songs, so it doesn't matter if the sub has a decent response curve as long as it will shake like hell at around 40 or 50 hz.

Though I suppose it is a good sign that some people are getting dissatisfied with the street style headphones that came with their cd player...

Mar 17, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 31
Why if one wants loud bass - that’s what it is the volume not quality of bass being asked for - do they not consider 'bass boosts' or other source EQ adjustments. That is for whom the bass boost was invented and why I have so many portable players with that silly function.

To buy a high end Grado or Senn and complain that they play the music too realistically, too much like it was recorded, is to look at the matter backward. Buy a low end bass heavy Sony or up the low frequency of the source and BUY AN AMP.

Simple solutions to, sadly, a common complaint.

Mar 17, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 31
First of all, I agree with everybody, I don't know what all of this is about bass. Sure they are nice fish, and they can be pretty big, even the mid-bass are pretty big, like people are saying. But there are bigger fish, and prettier, smaller fish. I don't know why so many people at head-fi are obsessed with this one kind of fish, and frankly, I am shocked that so many people at head-fi go fishing. It's bizarre and astonishing. Is there something about people who like headphones that they like to fish? Somehow, it's hard to even go one post and the topic turns to fish, and to bass in particular. I'm sorry, but this is really, really weird. To be honest, I don't fish at all. I feel bad for the fish. Sure, I did some fishing as a kid, but I never caught any bass. Mostly trout. Rainbow trout have nice colors, colors that I like better than bass.
redface.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 31
Hi, you might have seen my thread titled "I want bass." on this board.

Personally, I love a nice detailed sound with an open soundstage and delicate eq range. thats why I got my 401's. That's what I like the majority of the time at least. There are some days when I just want to throw on a CD and get my head pounded by some serious bass (of course I dont want to sacrifice sound quality for this). On days like these, I would like having a good pair of headphones that can satisfy my needs.

Thank you for your time.

biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by r3cc0s

you know, it's like What about detail? any harsh sibilence? Soundstage? Midrange? Transparency? How about impact? How about Accurate BASS!?

GRRR !!!!

lol

Well said, couldn't agree with you more. Accuracy>boomage.

Mar 18, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
First of all, I agree with everybody, I don't know what all of this is about bass. Sure they are nice fish, and they can be pretty big, even the mid-bass are pretty big, like people are saying. But there are bigger fish, and prettier, smaller fish. I don't know why so many people at head-fi are obsessed with this one kind of fish, and frankly, I am shocked that so many people at head-fi go fishing. It's bizarre and astonishing. Is there something about people who like headphones that they like to fish? Somehow, it's hard to even go one post and the topic turns to fish, and to bass in particular. I'm sorry, but this is really, really weird. To be honest, I don't fish at all. I feel bad for the fish. Sure, I did some fishing as a kid, but I never caught any bass. Mostly trout. Rainbow trout have nice colors, colors that I like better than bass.
redface.gif

Guffaw!!!
biggrin.gif
Psycho!

Mar 18, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by r3cc0s

GRRR !!!!

lol

I think you're getting a little too worked up over this. Let them like what they like, it's not like you're here to educate the masses in what is considered good sound here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back