Bass under $60
Sep 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Pingupenguins

Member of the Trade: BTG Audio / Q Audio
Hey I'm looking for a friend. He does not know what good bass is but he wants a lot of it. I refuse to tell him to get anything with loud muddy bass so I beseech you head-fi'ers to help me find this man true bass under $60. 

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 12
I am quite new here but I saw this post and had a thought.  These are by no means going to give him any real clarity but I have never actually heard them so maybe see if anyone has said anything about the Sony XB-500 on here.  Looks like they are about 50$:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sony-MDR-XB500-Extra-Bass-Headphone-MDRXB500-/400208461361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2e487e31#ht_2951wt_1189

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Hey I'm looking for a friend. He does not know what good bass is but he wants a lot of it. I refuse to tell him to get anything with loud muddy bass so I beseech you head-fi'ers to help me find this man true bass under $60. 

Thanks!

Panasonic RP-HFT600.

Click the model in my signature for a review.

Very best,

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 12
Like others have mentioned, XB500 and the Panasonic RP-HFT600 are probably your best choices for your friends budget. Admittedly the XB500 sound a muffled but they're better than a lot of other consumer 'bass' phones and have heaps of bass volume. I haven't tried the Panasonic  myself but there's quite a following

I know you want to get your friend tight bass but for this price range, the range isn't as big.

I recommend the XB500's though because I still use them even when I have my Ultrasones. They're so awesome XD.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 12
I like the sound from a Panasonic RP-HTF600-S way more then what comes out of a Sony XB500.

The Superlux HD-668B has decent bass
and the Samson SR850 (made by Superlux)

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 12
The XB500s are on my list of headphones that I really want to try. I don't have a valid reason to own them, since I have my Ultrasone Pro 900s, but they sound like they would be a fun can to have around. Given what people say about them, it sounds like they would be a good starting point.

I haven't tried the Panasonics in question, either, but they do have an overwhelming amount of followers.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 12
I haven't sampled the XB500 yet, but the frequency response is exactly the sort of thing that puts me off of a lot of basshead cans. At least they're said to respond to EQ very well, allowing you to bring the mids and treble up to par provided that your source has a competent equalizer.

If your friend doesn't want to EQ, the HTF600s actually have some mids and treble to go along with that bass, though the mids are a bit veiled.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I haven't sampled the XB500 yet, but the frequency response is exactly the sort of thing that puts me off of a lot of basshead cans. At least they're said to respond to EQ very well, allowing you to bring the mids and treble up to par provided that your source has a competent equalizer.
If your friend doesn't want to EQ, the HTF600s actually have some mids and treble to go along with that bass, though the mids are a bit veiled.

I got my Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour pads about 10 days ago.
Best bang for the buck headphones I know of.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 12
Admittedly, I haven't listened to the Superlux HD662b (even though I have heard a lot of good things about it), but I will put my recommendation in for the HTF600 over the XB500. In my limited listening experiences comparing the two, I felt like the XB500 packed a slight bit more bass, but I preferred the sound signature of the HTF600. For the price, though, the recommendations in this thread are all pretty good. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 12
I would personally vouch for my xb500, they aren't anything extraordinary and may even sound a bit muffled out of the box, but they respond pretty darn well to EQ and can match cans much above it in hiearchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back