Bass heavy, stylish small on ear headphones
May 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
After reading a lot of posts on this forum, I figured it was time I finally joined. I've decided it's time to buy a pair of on-ear headphones after using earbuds (some good ones at that) for the past couple years. I'm looking for a smaller set of on-ear headphones that look good. I've tried the beats solo (and I agree they suck sq wise) but they look great and are the perfect size. I have also tried the Sennheiser PX-200 II, I like the sound, but it could have more bass, and the size is too small. So basically I'm looking for:

1. Something similar in size and looks to the beats
  2. Something similar in sq to the PX-200 IIs, but with a little more bass.
  3. Something that looks cool, without sacrificing too much sq!

Any suggestions would be great. I'm willing to spend up to around $150. 
So far these forums have been really helpful 
atsmile.gif

silly question, but did you ever try eq-ing the px200 II?  I ask b/c those phones can really be cranked in the bass department and still sound clean depending on the capability of your portable player (relative to their size not being fulll size cans like the d2000) if you turn up the bass with a player that has a decent eq.  you would be amazed at how much bass those little things can put out. 

if youve still got em its worth a shot anyway

May 15, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 28
another suggestion.. and im gonna get flamed for this, but so be it

go to best buy and demo some bose on ear headphones... only the on ear ones

i just tried some just the other day.. i did it as a joke after hearing so much flack on bose, and i was actually blown!

i tried some of their other models and they were bleh, but these were pretty damn good, and they really kicked in the bass department (ok ill finally admit, im a bass head - but quality with quantity) 

anyway you can get them for $90 on amazon..  

I would HIGHLY recommend trying them

i also think the both look and feel great

May 15, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #18 of 28
The only way I see to get the Bose on ears for under 100 dollars at amazon is used. 161 new.
I don't care to flame you at all, however, as far as style, the Phiaton MS series have way more style, at least IMO. 

May 15, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
yes they are used, but hey... for almost half price.. its worth it
cant comment on phiaton.. never tried

I've tried every bose model and the MS400s. There's no comparison. The fact that I still own the Phiatons speaks for itself. They are not audiophile portables per se but absolutely stellar relaxation phones. Very easy-going sound.

May 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #21 of 28
ok after reading these ive come to a few conclusions.. first to address br 777: I have an iPod nano, and I used the "Bass Booster
EQ, and it gave them so much bass it sounded horrible, unfortunately.

At this point I'm down to the AKG and the Phiaton MS series. I just have a couple questions:
  1. Are the M300s on ear or over ear?
  2. Do the M300s have a removable cord like the AKGs? I find this to be a useful feature but it could be uneccesary
  3. Ultimately which one would you guys recommend??

Thanks for all the help guys

May 15, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
ok after reading these ive come to a few conclusions.. first to address br 777: I have an iPod nano, and I used the "Bass Booster
EQ, and it gave them so much bass it sounded horrible, unfortunately.

At this point I'm down to the AKG and the Phiaton MS series. I just have a couple questions:
  2. Do the M300s have a removable cord like the AKGs? I find this to be a useful feature but it could be uneccesary

FWIW i have never ever heard the bass booster on the ipod improve the SQ of any headphone i tried.  it always introduces crappy sound and distortion.     that is the one HUGE pet peve i have with ipods -  i just bought a $50 sandisk clip+ 8g and an 8g card and it has a decent eq, but it has allowed me to revolutionize more than 1 pair of my headphones sound qualities - usually by adding bass :wink:

good luck 

May 15, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:

go to best buy and demo some bose on ear headphones... only the on ear ones

i just tried some just the other day..

Ok.. still no flame.... After rereading your post, I just wonder if you realize that Bose is the master at eqing those demo units.  Ask anyone that has compared the sounds to the booth and at home. One last comment, only meant as advice, generally speaking, a phone that grabs your attention and sounds exciting, in the long run, whatever grabbed your attention, generally ruins the ability to enjoy the phones for long. For  all I know you may jave even more listening experience than I do, but being an audiophile/gearhead for over thirty years, it's rarely a love at first listen that made for a lasting enjoyment.  Again, no offense meant in any fashion.

May 15, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
first to address br 777: I have an iPod nano, and I used the "Bass Booster
EQ, and it gave them so much bass it sounded horrible, unfortunaely.

As br 777 stated, the ipod eqing is awful, the MS300's do not have an replaceble cable  If you're really concerned about bass, the AKG may be the way to go, I don't see much style, amd you've seen the warranty is only 90 days I'm guessing.  The JBL's the other poster mentioned are paretty much bass monsters also. You might even consider just getting some sony Xtra Bass series. The Akg's you're looking at are not typical akg, and will sound no better than the sony Xtra Bass.  Which are about the same price as the akg's at best buy.  Consider getting a fiio e5 to help drive them, and it has it's own little bass boost, and is only 20 dollars. It's really worh trying. Much better than bass boost on nano, it's a subtle boost, nothing big. Edit: Phiatons are on ear.

May 15, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 28
if you are referring to the sony's with the giganto pillow ear pads, i would definitely try them at best buy first (they have a demo pair at most stores).  I have a friend who has those, and i tried them  and thought they were awful. 

May 15, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
As br 777 stated, the ipod eqing is awful

There's nothing wrong with iPod's EQ. Is just that music nowadays are produced at such high db's. Some of them going up 97db's!!!! They should be around 89db's. Use MP3Gain and make all of songs have a db setting of around 89db's. Now when you use the iPod's EQ it won't sound distorted because the internal amplifier isn't clipping anymore due to the high db settings of the songs.

May 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #28 of 28
iPod's bass boost EQ is definitely bad, it always causes distortion. What I suggest instead is to use the Treble Reducer function. It works a lot better.

Anyway nice to hear there's another Bose Triport OE fan born. I still love these cans all things considered. But I am finally going to retire them and look to try out the Phiaton MS300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back