Bass Heavy Headphones?
Jan 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #33 of 67
Quote:
Wow... alright then 

Just remember though that XB800 already packs more bass & punch than Beats, Beats Studios is more like a 8.5 or a 9 in bass quantity if XB800 is a 10, it's confirmed bigger bass than XB500 by 2 people already and I always thought XB500 was the king of bass in terms of quantity with its huge +15dB boost in the 15 - 300Hz range. XB500 is already bassier than Beats too confirmed by a lot of people, not just by graphs. :wink:

If you're really looking for MORE bass, equalizing or bass boost amp is your only option with headphones. You could even buy a better sounding headphone and pair it with digiZoid ZO2.3 for example to get more bass than XB800 stock without any amp/EQing though, so it's up to you how much you care for quantity versus quality.

XB800 + ZO2.3 = biggest possible bass
or
*several bassy headphone options* + ZO2.3 = still bigger bass than XB800 stock and with possibility to get better overall quality as well

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #35 of 67
Quote:

If you're really looking for MORE bass, equalizing or bass boost amp is your only option with headphones. You could even buy a better sounding headphone and pair it with digiZoid ZO2.3 for example to get more bass than XB800 stock without any amp/EQing though, so it's up to you how much you care for quantity versus quality.

XB800 + ZO2.3 = biggest possible bass
or
*several bassy headphone options* + ZO2.3 = still bigger bass than XB800 stock and with possibility to get better overall quality as well

Never thought of that! i can just get an amp to get a bass boost from my sony mdr v55's 

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #36 of 67
try and eq that xb800's...
i bet they have some room...

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #37 of 67
Quote:
Never thought of that! i can just get an amp to get a bass boost from my sony mdr v55's 

Yea well if you're otherwise satisfied enough with the sound of V55 that could be an option and the V55 are supposedly also on the bassheavy side so a bass boosting amp should be able to get you to at least XB800 levels and possibly surpass it.

The ZO2.3 offers about up to 14-15dB boost, the CmoyBB 2.03 I think comes on the 2nd spot with about 12dB if I remember right and Arrow 12HE I know offers up to 9dB boost. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need any more to get to those levels you want. The ZO is the smallest of them. The ZO2.3 has 32-levels of bass boost though while CmoyBB only has 1 and Arrow has 2 levels. So you can like configure exactly the amount bass you prefer with the ZO. ZO is a bit special though and you need to configure the volume levels still on the source while the others works fine if controlling the volume on the amp itself.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #38 of 67
If you wanted to amp them as well i run mine through a Fiio e7 on my computer using its dac function as well, plus it has 3 bass boost eq settings on it. You can really get alot of bass through these heaphones with equalization, especially a lot of sub bass. I can actually feel a pressure caused by the sub bass on some songs, its pretty intense. Im talking about the DT770 pro 80 by the way.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #40 of 67
Quote:
If you wanted to amp them as well i run mine through a Fiio e7 on my computer using its dac function as well, plus it has 3 bass boost eq settings on it. You can really get alot of bass through these heaphones with equalization, especially a lot of sub bass. I can actually feel a pressure caused by the sub bass on some songs, its pretty intense. Im talking about the DT770 pro 80 by the way.

how does it compare with the ZO?

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #41 of 67
Quote:
how does it compare with the ZO?

FiiO amps are known to distort at the higher level settings, usually at least step 1 or 2 works perfectly fine, then it depends a bit on the headphone / source used and what volume setttings etc if any higher level works. Generally the lower source volume = higher bass boost capability before it distorts.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #43 of 67
I'm sorry rpg, I often agree with you but I just don't here, and it's ok if we have different opinions I think. You've come on pretty strong on this thread, really the OP needs to just go out and try them and make up his own mind. For my money DT770 80ohm with some form of bass boost will make any bass head more than content. Who knows he may even prefer something unmentioned here. Graphs do nothing or the hobby in my personal experience other than INDICATE what a signature MIGHT be like

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #44 of 67
Quote:
I'm sorry rpg, I often agree with you but I just don't here, and it's ok if we have different opinions I think. You've come on pretty strong on this thread, really the OP needs to just go out and try them and make up his own mind. For my money DT770 80ohm with some form of bass boost will make any bass head more than content. Who knows he may even prefer something unmentioned here. Graphs do nothing or the hobby in my personal experience other than INDICATE what a signature MIGHT be like

Finally a happy note :)
Everyone has a different set of ears, different tastes.  Your going to get soooo many opinions here on head-fi.  I've been reading this website since 2010, and only just made an account.  Research goes a long way, but in the end the best way to come to a decision is to go out and try them yourself.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #45 of 67
What's with the obsession people have with bass? I never understood it. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music genre's (hip hop, electronic, dub, etc.) and I still don't get the obsession. To much bass is to much bass, it doesn't really matter what genre you listen to. Plus, bass is so fatiguing, especially when you are listening to music with bass on overload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back