Bass Heavy Headphones?
Jan 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 67
Why do people keep recommending DT770 Pro/80 when he's looking for something bassier than XB800? It's simple, it doesn't exist...

DT770 have about 6~7dB peak bass boost, there's quite a few that is bassier. I Had the DT770 too but it lacked punch/midbass for my needs, the subbass was nice though.

Let's have a look at XB500 vs DT770 for example:

XB800 appearently has even stronger punch/midbass than XB500 even, only the russian site has measured them so far but it's not very comparable with headphone.com's measurement.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 67
Quote:
meh graphs... He listens to hophip.. ive a/b'ed both. Its just one opinion, and im not a veteran head-fier - but i prefer the DT770 for his purposes.

So during the summer i will be working just for the sole purpose to get headphones. My price limit is $400 dollars with headphones and an amp. I originally wanted the Sony MDR-xb1000s but the more i researched about them the more i became afraid of getting them since they may not be punchy but i heard that if powered to the correct amp it can have very powerful bass. I already own the xb500s and the xb800s and to me, after getting the xb800s it felt like the xb500s were lacking bass! I need more bass but i don't know any other headphones that are more powerful than the xb800s. The headphones will stay in the house because the xb800s are sufficient enough for portable use. So just wondering, how does the Xb-500s compare to the xb1000s and is there other bass headphones that are much more bass heavy than the xb1000s? I mostly listen to rap and hip hop. 

1. DT770's bass isn't punchy, it's soft & rumbly, very big so but doesn't hit with a large impact. It can be compared to getting hit by a extremely large teddybear at very great speed versus getting hit by a hammer with XB800, both you will feel but the impact is of very different kind
2. The rest of the bolded text part explains the rest.

There doesn't exist any bassier headphones than he already have, he's looking for more but it doesn't exist! :p He's better off getting a digiZoid ZO2.3 amp IMO with 32-level bass boost. :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 67
Quote:
Yeah, i really like punchy bass but seeing that it could be the most punciest idk what to do now, lol 

Get yourself a digiZoid ZO2.3 amp :wink: This will get you at least double the bass impact from XB800, if that doesn't do it then DOUBLE AMPING with another ZO2.3, Arrow 12HE or FiiO E11 or CmoyBB 2.03 (this is silly but just stating what options there is) is the next step. But that's just ridiculous... like REALLY ridiculous... But yea most likely a digiZoid ZO2.3 amp will already suprise you. 

With my M-Audio Q40 headphones which isn't as bassy as XB800 I can already get better bass impact to my ears than my cheap Logitech X-530 5.1 speaker sub with the digiZoid ZO... the sub lacks impact, it's much softer hitting & so much looser than the Q40 + ZO's bass.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 67
Quick question on bassy headphones. I am debating between the audio technica ath pro700mk2 or the v moda crossfade lp. Which should I pick? I listen to dubstep, but i also like to listen to other genres....

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 67
again with graph's?, You know I've yet to see 2 sites have the exact same measurements of the same headphone. 
Just look around and see what the MOST recommended Bass Headphone is:  EVERYTIME it's the DT770, it hit's HARD and DEEP...  Earth shaking, Seriously...  There is no lack of Punch that's for sure.   It hits you hard in the dome and can cave your chest in....

Not my thing as I said, For Rap/Rnb type music, Forget about it, Nothing's coming close..  I think they knocked one of my teeth loose when I had them.... :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #25 of 67
Quote:

Get yourself a digiZoid ZO2.3 amp :wink: This will get you at least double the bass impact from XB800, if that doesn't do it then DOUBLE AMPING with another ZO2.3 or FiiO E11 or CmoyBB 2.03 (this is silly but just stating what options there is) is the next step. But that's just ridiculous... like REALLY ridiculous... But yea most likely a digiZoid ZO2.3 amp will already suprise you. 

With my M-Audio Q40 headphones which isn't as bassy as XB800 I can already get better bass impact to my ears than my cheap Logitech X-530 5.1 speaker sub with the digiZoid ZO... the sub lacks impact, it's much softer hitting & so much looser than the Q40 + ZO's bass.

wait, out of the three that you mentioned, which amp is better for the xb800s?

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 67
Quote:
wait, out of the three that you mentioned, which amp is better for the xb800s?

Well digiZoid ZO2.3 would offer the best bass boost (also the most powerful boost in any price range) for the money, Arrow 12HE that also has 2-step bass boost would offer you the best sound quality between amps that feature bass boost but is significantly expensier too.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #27 of 67
Quote:
again with graph's?, You know I've yet to see 2 sites have the exact same measurements of the same headphone. 
Just look around and see what the MOST recommended Bass Headphone is:  EVERYTIME it's the DT770, it hit's HARD and DEEP...  Earth shaking, Seriously...  There is no lack of Punch that's for sure.   It hits you hard in the dome and can cave your chest in....

Not my thing as I said, For Rap/Rnb type music, Forget about it, Nothing's coming close..  I think they knocked one of my teeth loose when I had them.... :)

Try something with really big punch, your inventory contains no big midbassy headphones, just subbass focused headphones then your view might change, if you tried headphones like XB500/800, Ultrasone PRO900, V-Moda LP1/LP2, Denon D1100, M-Audio Q40, Audio Technica PRO700MK2 to mention a few which are headphones with PUNCHY bass then your opinion of DT770's bass would also change. 

Midbass, especially 80~150Hz brings the punch (fast, hard hitting)
Subbass, <80Hz brings you the rumble (slow, rumbly, softer impact)

Hiphop uses both a lot of midbass and subbass. The "thud" is the midbass, the low-hum "vrooooooom" is the subbass.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Try something with really big punch, your inventory contains no big midbassy headphones, just subbass focused headphones then your view might change, if you tried headphones like XB500/800, Ultrasone PRO900, V-Moda LP1/LP2, Denon D1100, M-Audio Q40 to mention a few which are headphones with PUNCHY bass then your opinion of DT770's bass would also change. 

Midbass, especially 80~150Hz brings the punch (fast, hard hitting)
Subbass, <80Hz brings you the rumble (slow, rumbly, softer impact)

I had the D1100, horrible down grade to the D1000, plus the forks broke in 3 months time.  Tried the Sony's  hated the " Mud Zone"  didn't sound pleasing to me.  Haven't tried the others you listed.  I'm not a bass head anyway, To the me the DT770's was like 2 subs strapped to your dome.  I have enough bass/midbass with my Senns.  Anymore is pushing it for my taste.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #29 of 67
Is DT770 bassier than Ultrasone Pro 900? I would find that incredibly hard to imagine.

Recent comment to a friend while listening to dubstep on the 900's: "I probably shouldn't be able to feel the bass from my headphones in my legs, should I?"

ps. I use the FiiO e17 for a dac/amp. Seems to work decently, at least a step up from standard onboard sound.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 67
Quote:
I had the D1100, horrible down grade to the D1000, plus the forks broke in 3 months time.  Tried the Sony's  hated the " Mud Zone"  didn't sound pleasing to me.  Haven't tried the others you listed.  I'm not a bass head anyway, To the me the DT770's was like 2 subs strapped to your dome.  I have enough bass/midbass with my Senns.  Anymore is pushing it for my taste.

This thread is about what OP wants though and it's clear he's looking for big midbass. I'm just trying to help the OP and DT770 would be a downgrade bass quantity wise which he was asking for, not for quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back