Bass heavy headphone advise
Aug 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

denhamgt

New Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase some bass heavy headphones and would like to spend $175 or less.  I primarily listen to hip-hop and am concerned more about how loud and hard hitting the bass is as opposed to quality and clarity.  I would like a closed headphone, something I could use at work or on a plane.  I won't be using an amp either, mainly an i-phone or laptop will be the music source. 

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555's I like to use at home and are even used for gaming, but the bass feels very weak to me even plugged into an amp.  I've searched for a while and noticed people saying good things about the amount of bass from the Sennheiser HD212 Pro's and AKG K 181 DJ's.  Can anyone tell me if these would be a good fit for me?  Which pair of these offer up the most bass? 

If they're easy to travel with and don't look awkward when on, even better.  Any other suggestions are welcome too.  I've seen other cans mentioned here, but it seems most will perform much better with an amp.  The Senn's and AKG's have low impedance values from what I can tell and seem to fit an i-phone application better.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 19
Check out Beyerdynamic DT-770.  Go for the 80 ohm version or higher.

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 19
The Beyerdynamic also make the bass-heavy DT990.  They come in 32 ohm if you don't have a separate amp.

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 19
I think the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II would be what you want but it's over your budget, so the next best thing would be the HD 25-SP II, which should be within your budget, go try them out. 
darthsmile.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 19
The most bass heavy headphones are the Sony XB series.

After that, there are the Ultrasone headphones that famous for being some of the best trance headphones. Higher detail than Sonys, less bass impact but still plenty. The Sony XBs have bass that can blur your vision. To me personally, it's too much bass and mediocre detail. Ultrasone HFI 580 is a much better headphone to me, and well improved with a Cowon DAP.

Just search the forums for a thread on the lines of "bass impact that's all i ever asked in life"

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Check out Beyerdynamic DT-770.  Go for the 80 ohm version or higher.

Don't go higher. The DT770 Pro 80 ohm are bass heavy, the Premium 2005 consumer edition (250 ohm) are not.

If you want tons of bass, the M-Audio Q40 will be your friend.
If you want insane bass, spent a few more bucks, and buy the Ultrasone Pro900.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 19
Good to know.  I've only heard the DT770 Pro 80s, and that's what I own.  I tried the DT990 250 Ohm for a short period, but I didn't care for them at all.  Way too bright and cold.  I see people often describer Beyers as bright and cold, but you really just have to pick the right version of each model to get the sound you want.

Quote:
Don't go higher. The DT770 Pro 80 ohm are bass heavy, the Premium 2005 consumer edition (250 ohm) are not.

If you want tons of bass, the M-Audio Q40 will be your friend.
If you want insane bass, spent a few more bucks, and buy the Ultrasone Pro900.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 19
Try the audiotechnica ath-50 they have sinificant bass response compared to most headphones

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Good to know.  I've only heard the DT770 Pro 80s, and that's what I own.  I tried the DT990 250 Ohm for a short period, but I didn't care for them at all.  Way too bright and cold.  I see people often describer Beyers as bright and cold, but you really just have to pick the right version of each model to get the sound you want.

That's true. The higher ohm Ω you go, the tighter the bass gets....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back