Bass Boost under $100??
Apr 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

slapshot30

500+ Head-Fier
I've got the V-Moda Crossfades and I am thinking about getting the Ultrasone DJ1's. Can anyone recommend an amp that gives the most bass boost without distorting the SQ? Preferably under $100. I already have a Cmoy off of ebay that gives around 7 dB of bass boost but the more I turn up the volume, the worse the SQ gets. Would that mean the amp is no good or the headphones just can't handle it? Thanks.

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 11
Used T4 or E5/E7?

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
I've got the V-Moda Crossfades and I am thinking about getting the Ultrasone DJ1's. Can anyone recommend an amp that gives the most bass boost without distorting the SQ? Preferably under $100. I already have a Cmoy off of ebay that gives around 7 dB of bass boost but the more I turn up the volume, the worse the SQ gets. Would that mean the amp is no good or the headphones just can't handle it? Thanks.

Cmoys do benefit from burn in, so if yours is new it may take some time.  I'm very pleased with my JDS Labs cmoy with bass boost.  Sound quality has improved over the few hours I've been using it.  I also plan on rolling the stock opamp as well.

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Used T4 or E5/E7?

The E5 didn't quite have enough and the E7 only has a 1dB bass increase over the E5. I don't want to go the used route yet though but if I come up with nothing then I might try the T4.

Quote:
Cmoys do benefit from burn in, so if yours is new it may take some time.  I'm very pleased with my JDS Labs cmoy with bass boost.  Sound quality has improved over the few hours I've been using it.  I also plan on rolling the stock opamp as well.

I supose burn in would help but the one I got made the bass sound awful and bloated (my view on burn in is that if you don't like it at all beforehand, burn in won't make that big of a change to make you like it). The problem with bass boost Cmoys is that there is a bass on/off switch. So if the bass ends up being too much/little then you're screwed. Another user referred me to the ZO Personal Subwoofer. There is hardly anything about this little amp on head-fi but it looks pretty promising. 32 levels of bass increase so you can gradually up the bass to your personal perferences. This thing starts at around $120 but it's on sale for $85 right now and I found a coupon code for free shipping. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 11
You need Bass Boost for DJ1s?  
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
^I read on their Facebook page ZO version 2 is about to be released. I have no idea what will be different.

That would probablyy explain the $30+ sale on the ZO. Interesting. That kind of annoys me because I just ordered this lol. Oh well, if it's that good I will buy the second one too.

Quote:
You need Bass Boost for DJ1s?  
confused_face_2.gif

I don't have them yet... but I need bass boost for my Crossfades, and I'd be willing to bet my crossfades have more bass than the DJ1, we'll see though.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Will definitely do. And to the other poster who was skeptical about the DJ1 being paired with a bass boosting amp... this is from a review here on headfi, they said the M50 had more bass than the 580 (the 580 is the same as the DJ1, just different look). That brings up red flags. The M50's bass is weak, sure I'm a basshead but there really isn't much there for hip-hop or techno.

"Bass - I read that M50 was known for bass and sure enough, it had the most bass of all. Against 580,  songs with moderate bass (Led Zeppelin, U2, GnR) it was hitting harder (not by much but noticeable without paying too much attention). I could tell that the bass was a bit muddy in M50 than 580, not as tight. Songs with heavy bass (mid to high bass, BEP, OMD, trance, technos), I can definitely tell M50 has more bass (thumping and boomy a bit). By no means 580 has weak bass but M50 overpowers it noticeably. Again though M50's bass sounds a bit loose and not as tight as 580. Also, bass seems to over-shadow mid and high in M50. 580's bass was tight although not as loud or hard hitting (plenty of hitting for me though)."

Quote:
Be sure and give us a review or impressions.

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 11
I decided to go ahead and try one out too.  I just ordered: $87 plus free shipping from Sharper Image with coupon.  Hopefully the much smaller profile will be conducive to carrying on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back