Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
Feb 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #76 of 374
@FenderP you said you tried with Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and the NW-ZX1, both sound the same wireless ? I don't think as the ZX1 does not support AptX unfortunalety for his price.

I would like to know if devices with AptX sound all exactly the same ? Because the power of the output jack is not more important i think when you use wireless.

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #77 of 374
  @FenderP you said you tried with Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and the NW-ZX1, both sound the same wireless ? I don't think as the ZX1 does not support AptX unfortunalety for his price.

I would like to know if devices with AptX sound all exactly the same ? Because the power of the output jack is not more important i think when you use wireless.

I don't use the Z3 Compact for music. I just used it via BT for phone calls. So I can't comment on music quality of the Z3 vs ZX1. I mainly use the H8 wired anyway.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #78 of 374
I got them three days ago and I must say, for the moment buyers beware, the bluetooth connection drops alarmingly often...

The sound quality is really good, I own a pair of UE 11 Pro and my last bluetooth headphones where the Parrot Zik 1st generation, they are much lighter and sound way better than the Zik.

I explain the issues, I have been browsing the web trying to find people with the same problem to discard a hardware issue and I saw at least one review already mentioning how unstable the bluetooth connection is.

I have used the Zik before and I have several bluetooth devices so I have an understanding of the range, for example the Bose soundlink. I tried with both the iPhone 6 plus and the Xperia Z3 Compact and even having the phone on your hand or in the pocket there is some short and annoying interferences, and if you walk away further than 1 meter from the phone, goodbye.

i have reported the issue to Beoplay support and I hope they can do something via firmware update, I am not sure if it has something to do with any new protocols, i am not very well versed on bluetooth protocols, but I really hope they fix it soon, the headphones are beautiful, and sound very nice.

I hope I could help guys, cheers.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #79 of 374
Some questions for Beoplay H8 owners:

1. How good is the ANC? Does it cut out most of the frequency range?

I currently have the Philips Fidelio NC1 on ear headphones for commenting and the ANC is not great. It only really does the lower frequencies so I can still hear conversations etc. On the train, I get regular interference from signals and other mobiles which is really annoying. Just wondering if it is worth swapping to the H8, but not really interested in Bluetooth as prefer good SQ.

2. Do they fold up or fold flat for travel and do they come with a case.bag?

Thanks for your help.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #80 of 374
I got them three days ago and I must say, for the moment buyers beware, the bluetooth connection drops alarmingly often...

The sound quality is really good, I own a pair of UE 11 Pro and my last bluetooth headphones where the Parrot Zik 1st generation, they are much lighter and sound way better than the Zik.

I explain the issues, I have been browsing the web trying to find people with the same problem to discard a hardware issue and I saw at least one review already mentioning how unstable the bluetooth connection is.

I have used the Zik before and I have several bluetooth devices so I have an understanding of the range, for example the Bose soundlink. I tried with both the iPhone 6 plus and the Xperia Z3 Compact and even having the phone on your hand or in the pocket there is some short and annoying interferences, and if you walk away further than 1 meter from the phone, goodbye.

i have reported the issue to Beoplay support and I hope they can do something via firmware update, I am not sure if it has something to do with any new protocols, i am not very well versed on bluetooth protocols, but I really hope they fix it soon, the headphones are beautiful, and sound very nice.

I hope I could help guys, cheers.

As I've mentioned, I've had no BT issues the few times tried it with m ZX1 and with my Z3 Compact in using it for voice calls. I've walked away from it. SUre, there's a range but it's more than 39".

Some questions for Beoplay H8 owners:

1. How good is the ANC? Does it cut out most of the frequency range?

I currently have the Philips Fidelio NC1 on ear headphones for commenting and the ANC is not great. It only really does the lower frequencies so I can still hear conversations etc. On the train, I get regular interference from signals and other mobiles which is really annoying. Just wondering if it is worth swapping to the H8, but not really interested in Bluetooth as prefer good SQ.

2. Do they fold up or fold flat for travel and do they come with a case.bag?

Thanks for your help.

1. I've commented on this already.
2. Fold flat and comes with a bag.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #81 of 374
Just did a bit of a comparison of the Aedle VK1 vs the H8. Both were plugged in via wire to the NW-ZX1.

The H8 is good, but the VK1 is better to my ears. The soundstage is a bit wider on the VK1 (I prefer a wider soundstage) and sounds much more natural. I use "Have You Met Miss Jones" by the Great Jazz Trio (July 5th album) as my first litmus test. I have it encoded in ATRAC3+ at 352k. The VK1 has been a great pairing with the ZX1 and always makes for an enjoyable listen. I love the way John Patitucci's bass sounds on this, and the piano is just right. The H8 has a slightly narrower but still pretty wide soundstage. The piano is not as natural, and the bass is a bit more boomy here but still fairly accurate. The drums also are not as good - noticeable in the cymbals. By no means is this bad, and in context of a plane with NC on, quite frankly, the H8 would be arguably better. I do notice that volume wise the H8 is a bit lower, so it's a touch harder to drive from the ZX1. The comments so far about the H8 were done without NC on. Flipping the switch, the sound stays fairly close so I'd say the loss of sound due to engaging NC is relatively minimal compared to other NC headphones I've used. Kudos to B&O for keeping it that way.

Moving onto a rock track, I used Bryan Adams' "Kids Wanna Rock". I have the hi-rez 96/24 download of Reckless, so this a good test of a much fuller range of frequencies. The VK1 is noticeably a bit darker here in terms of coloring, and IMO not as good as on the jazz track. The guitar solos are a bit "honky". I can't say that the VK1 is great on this tune. It's certainly got good instrument separation overall and stereo width, but it's not "engaging". I would say that despite a bit narrower of a soundstage, the H8 is tuned better for this rock tune and much more involving as a whole. Bryan's vocals sound better here. Go figure. I do prefer the bass of the VK1 here - no comparison.

Last up is Phil Collins' "I Cannot Believe It's True" from Hello, I Must Be Going! This is also lossy, not lossless. This is tune that has good use of horns and has some groove to it. This just sounds great with the VK1 all around. Horns, bass, drums, vocals - all excellent. This is why the VK1 will remain in my possession - it's very musical and natural. The soundstage is what you want with a tune like this. The H8 on the other hand is OK - you don't get as much of a sense of groove and the overall sound at the same level is a bit meh. If you crank the volume you can get closer to the VK1, but the horns do not sound as natural, much more "digital" if you will, and Phil's voice is not as good either. Again, this is not a bad sounding headphone, but I don't feel the H8 is better than the VK1 here. It's perfectly good, just not great.

Sound is obviously not everything. The VK1 has OK isolation, but it is not the best set of cans for a plane ride, and long term due to the inflexibility of how to position the earpads, is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it proposition. I find them fine but after a few hours, I do need to take them off. In this thread I've seen where the H8 doesn't work for some, but having used it on a few plane flights already, I really do like them. MUCH more comfortable. The VK1 pads do not fold flat, and that's a bit problematic for portable use.

Also keep in mind your source hardware and how your music is encoded (if using files) will affect all of this - mine is just based on my setup.

If I never left the house, the H8 wouldn't really have entered the race. Seeing as how I travel a bit, the H8 is a really nice option but I would not use it as my main pair of headphones if I didn't want that right balance of musicality to noise reduction that others just don't deliver. I've had a lot of NC cans and B&O struck a pretty good balance.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #82 of 374

As I've mentioned, I've had no BT issues the few times tried it with m ZX1 and with my Z3 Compact in using it for voice calls. I've walked away from it. SUre, there's a range but it's more than 39".

1. I've commented on this already.
2. Fold flat and comes with a bag.

I am glad for you, if you have a good experience with them.

My current experience with the BeoPlay H8, is that they are wireless headphones completely unusable as wireless headphones. Is there any problems if you use them wired? No. But I bought them specifically to get rid of the wires.

I hope they can fix this via firmware update, because I am not the only one with this problem.

Cheers.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #83 of 374

I am glad for you, if you have a good experience with them.

My current experience with the BeoPlay H8, is that they are wireless headphones completely unusable as wireless headphones. Is there any problems if you use them wired? No. But I bought them specifically to get rid of the wires.

I hope they can fix this via firmware update, because I am not the only one with this problem.

Cheers.

I got my H8 about a month ago here in New York and this is my third pair because of the BT drops....mostly when I am outside but really bad. Tried with different players, battery levels, ANC on/offetc, inside/outsode....still present. B&O is aware of this and that is why I am on the third replacement. I do not think players I have are the problem (tried my AK100ii, AK240, apple products etc..) because all of them are OK when using my B&O A2.  Too bad this is happening; they are the best BT headphones so far but you can not take advantage of the BT feature. Not sure a firmware can fix this. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #84 of 374
Reviewed:
I find it amazing that no one reacted on the BASS presentation.
It is very forward, and if one is used to the current de facto standard of HiFi, rather far away from the current main stream.

Is this something which one really get used to or are most of the buyers from no nerd land?

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #85 of 374
Got these a few days ago and I like the design and the overall quality of materials. Sound quality is on par with expectations, they are definitely bass forward but playful enough in the middle range that is tolerable, even fun to listen to them. Good all around SQ but not excellent by any means.

However, my biggest issue with them is the flakiness of the Bluetooth connection, as others have stated, they seem to skip and briefly drop connection with all devices I've tried them with, Nexus 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook.

I wonder if this can be fixed with a simple firmware update, the zik 2 also had similar issues but were corrected OTA with the iOS app, ended up returning them because of the bad sound quality and absurd fit.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #87 of 374
Traded in my Sennheiser M2's for the H8's which arrived today. I much prefer the sound of the H8's...to me, they have a deeper, fuller sound without the blast of mid-range that the Senn's provided. Lower end could perhaps be a little tighter to better distinguish running bass lines. The high end is about the same on both phones, but neither as bright as the Plantronics Backbeat Pro. Overall soundstage is difficult to compare being that the H8's are over-ear, which may limit them just a bit. Bluetooth range is about 30 feet with no drop-outs on iPhone so far (indoors). ANC seems adequate although maybe not as good as the Senns (will test on next flight in 3 days). The touch controls take some getting used to, and the ear pads are a bit tight, but the overall design is about as good as it gets for traveling. Very satisfied so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back