Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Dec 8, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,011 of 2,875
It's interesting to see folks describe the H6 as transparent. My feeling is that the H6 always sound good with everything and sound like themselves with everything, with relatively little to be lost by listening directly from a phone. Which comes with the trade-off that they aren't the most revealing of detail.

Not to digress into audiophile jargon, but I look at transparency and detail as two separate things. But I would say that the h6 is detailed as well.

I really cant say a bad word about the headphone to be honest!

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #2,012 of 2,875
The only other dac I tried was an Explorer2, which I learned the hard way draws too much power to run off of an iPad, making it not portable. I did want something that could support MQA, so the DragonFly was a natural choice.

Ultimately, what I like about the h6 is that it is extremely balanced, and very transparent. It offers a sophisticated, refined sound that I typically associate with lots of $$$. I moved from M2s mostly out of boredom and aesthetics, not really expecting the h6 to be sonically superior. However, the h6 is.

The Red does nothing to disturb the h6s virtues. It is a touch more bright than the explorer, or the explorer is a little darker sounding if the idea of "bright" turns you off. It sips battery, I don't notice any acceleration in power utilization when using it which could have been a deal breaker.

I have read that the black sounds nearly as good, but uses a little bit more power and handles volume in the analog domain. The red can also serve duty in a full blown high end system in a pinch if necessary. For these reasons, spending an extra $100 to just do the red was a no brainer for me. For others, it could very well make sense to save the $100.

I was really not expecting the h6/red to trounce the PX, but it did. Again, maybe my expectation of the PX was out of line.
Thank you, that's really helpful. I am very tempted by the Red, will wait to hear the H6 too before deciding. But thanks a lot :)

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,013 of 2,875
The only other dac I tried was an Explorer2, which I learned the hard way draws too much power to run off of an iPad, making it not portable. I did want something that could support MQA, so the DragonFly was a natural choice.
Ultimately, what I like about the h6 is that it is extremely balanced, and very transparent. It offers a sophisticated, refined sound that I typically associate with lots of $$$. I moved from M2s mostly out of boredom and aesthetics, not really expecting the h6 to be sonically superior. However, the h6 is.
The Red does nothing to disturb the h6s virtues. It is a touch more bright than the explorer, or the explorer is a little darker sounding if the idea of "bright" turns you off. It sips battery, I don't notice any acceleration in power utilization when using it which could have been a deal breaker.
I have read that the black sounds nearly as good, but uses a little bit more power and handles volume in the analog domain. The red can also serve duty in a full blown high end system in a pinch if necessary. For these reasons, spending an extra $100 to just do the red was a no brainer for me. For others, it could very well make sense to save the $100.
I was really not expecting the h6/red to trounce the PX, but it did. Again, maybe my expectation of the PX was out of line.

I just got the H6 and am loving it. I'm going to order another one for home and keep one at work.
I'm using a Meridian Explorer 2 with it right now attached to my MacBook Pro. I like the Meridian for MQA because it does the full unfold whereas the Dragonfly is a renderer so Tidal does the first unfold.
I found the PX to be very uncomfortable and SQ dropped a lot as soon as you turn on ANC so I returned it..
I do have the Bose QC 35 that I use in my office and I've been comparing it to the H6/Meridian and of course the H6 and Meridian are better.
I'm also interested in the iFI BL Nano which is also an MQA renderer.
How are you getting MQA from an iPad and Dragonfly when the iPad version of Tidal can't do the first unfold?

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #2,015 of 2,875
Ordered one in black.
What are people using for a case?

Here is mine... a Geekria case. It is quite flat. there was more talk about cases around p117... I would look up some links for you but it is the middle of the night here...was just turning off my monitor and saw the alert :)

9937552.jpg

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #2,016 of 2,875
I just got the H6 and am loving it. I'm going to order another one for home and keep one at work.
I'm using a Meridian Explorer 2 with it right now attached to my MacBook Pro. I like the Meridian for MQA because it does the full unfold whereas the Dragonfly is a renderer so Tidal does the first unfold.
I found the PX to be very uncomfortable and SQ dropped a lot as soon as you turn on ANC so I returned it..
I do have the Bose QC 35 that I use in my office and I've been comparing it to the H6/Meridian and of course the H6 and Meridian are better.
I'm also interested in the iFI BL Nano which is also an MQA renderer.
How are you getting MQA from an iPad and Dragonfly when the iPad version of Tidal can't do the first unfold?

Not getting MQA- wanted something that may have a shot at supporting whatever tidal decides to do. I bought the red as a leading dac that for 16/44 that *might* support mqa via mobile.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,017 of 2,875
Roon 1.4 was just released and can provide mobile MQA.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/12/v1-4-seasons-greetings-from-roon/
Roon can use iOS as an endpoint now which will play through to a DAC connected to the lightning port.
What happened when you tried to use your ME 2 with an iPad? I had heard it would work.
I've been using these headphones at work in my office all morning. Loving them. Pretty good for $232 on Amazon and not that far off from my HD 650's but require a lot less power.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,019 of 2,875
My thoughts are he sounds like he knows what he is talking about but it's not my impression of these headphones at all nor does it seem to be Zeos or others.

I watched a long time ago so I don't remember any specifics.(and I do not want to watch again) but I tend to disagree with his opinion of many of the headphones that I have and like.

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #2,020 of 2,875
I'm thinking of trying this out to replace my Meridian Explorer 2. It's battery powered and I could go usb to lightning port.
Like the Dragonfly its an MQA rendered which requires Tidal to do the first unfold and the ME 2 is a full unfolder.
But with Roon now able to use iOS devices an an endpoint it probably doesn't really matter.

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd-bl/

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,023 of 2,875
Well my Lavricables Reference Silver cable (1.5 m) arrived today. Very pleased with the grey silk sleeving and the ViaBlue 3.5 mm plug that Konstantin ( @lavricables ) put on it. It was a pleasure dealing with Konstantin. I'll report after a week or so of listening.

20170502_221030.jpg

I'm tempted to get that cable but since the headphones were $232 the cable is almost half the cost of the headphone. Will probably do it anyway.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,024 of 2,875
I'm tempted to get that cable but since the headphones were $232 the cable is almost half the cost of the headphone. Will probably do it anyway.

Those cables certainly look beautiful but I personally would not spend that kind of money on a cable. I have never heard any difference in sound. I just change the cable if it annoys me in some way... too short, too long, too sprongy, too micro-phonic...

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,025 of 2,875
My favorite cans is H6 and I still find it very interesting to pair H6 with different setup to find the maximum performance.
I prefer H6 gen1 over gen2, gen2 for me still is very good cans, it can surpass H6v1 in matching with low power source as dap, easy to drive and gain the detail. The treble is sharper and it help v2 to present the micro detail. Compared to H6v1, gen2 is easier to driver, better treble detail, mid is dryer, bass is thicker, not as clean as gen1.
H6 gen1 is very hard to driver to the right performance. If plug in to weak source the signature of v1 is sounded like thin mid range, lack of low mid and treble. Best suite for clean and clear voice such as Haley Westenra or Celtic Woman voice. The overal tonality is clean and clean through the whole frequency range. I have receive many claim that H6 lacks the sub bass but with my experience, the bass performance and improve extremely much by proper power(detail may go later). The mid range of H6 (in my perspective) is the strongest point of H6, very clean, clear and ariculate, with proper source, you can improve not only bass performance but also add the warmth and thickness to low mid range. I can also enjoy andrea boceli and Alan Taylor :3. Treble of H6 in my expectation (compared to HD800) is lack of power and sharpness, glaring and glassy. However it is suitable for a close can because treble extension can be overhem in the close air can like H6, the room for driver and earpad is not much. I have experience a black cans from UK which treble energy is quite overhem, it lack detail and quite over-dazzling. But the current can now, a brown hazel version is very better, current I'm keeping several cans, but the one bronze hazel for me is the most reference one of H6.
Before going to next part, I would like to assume that the weakness but the potential behind of H6 is: lack of sharperness and detail in treble extended region, clean and thin mid range, clean bass is thin and lack off body and meaty.
Clarity of H6 is very good, but the detail is not excellent. The interesting point is detail can improve very much with high power source and dac. The treble detail and extension can improve with proper DAC such as in the picture below, sp1000 is the best dap to pair with H6, it can drive H6 to the insane level of detail. Another try, H6 with Hifiman 901S, it driver H6 with very much energy and body present in low range, layering is very good but the weekpoint is mid range clarity and detail is not meet my expectation. Aune dap is quite suite for H6 too, Ibasso Dx200 may suite too but I need to give a try :3
Power to H6, in my opinion it still very hunger for power when drive with a dap. A dac/amp combo may be a better choice for p/p. Current i'm plug it in combo cypherlab solo -DB and Alo rxmk3 -b+, and it quite , imo, one of the best choice for p/p. The overall detail and layering of sound stage is improved very much, however, I'm current wanting more from the dac such as a insane level as sp1000 does. This combo can beat sp1000 and 901S in driving power. With, high gain, which is the most extended treble and bass power,H6 also can play Metal music very well(Epica, Hargard), really impressive for portability solution.

2017461ede31-a977-45ee-8143-8f4e55e9fad1.jpg

20171358bf2f-c069-4354-b001-349f35baaa86.jpg

20171bd930e0-9511-48d1-ad50-826e9dc83771.jpg

20172b5f8221-c895-447d-86f0-cca46e88df0b.jpg

Trying with signature sample from B&W.
201766c4b213-f73a-4028-bbb0-204434c8df5c.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back